Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,309 times

Advertisements

Don't know if this has been posted before, but my mom is largely afraid of spiders so I have been trying to recommend her some products from Home Depot I saw, but want to get some input from you guys on how you keep spiders and other bugs out of the house.

We only seem to get them during the summer, which makes sense but this summer we had a bad problem and found a nest with at least 300 of the things crawling in our landscaping. They creep me out as well.

But more importantly, I would rather keep them out of the house. I have heard noise emitors work that you plug into the wall, but don't know how reliable these are.

Also, I heard spider killer that you dispense through a fertilizer machine works good too for the most part.

Any tips, suggestions, experience, please reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
I only draw the line at the few spiders that bite. By and large, spiders are good guys and eat annoying bugs for you. I just sweep and vacuum and occasionally put the bigger ones outside. I'd rather deal with them that way than expose me and my animals to toxic pesticides in my living area.

Borax sprinkled around entry points can be effective for deterring and killing many bugs (ok, arachnids) without toxins that also damage you. It is basically impossible to seal up a house so completely that a spider can't get in. Just be sure your pets and toddlers can't get to it. I don't think any of the noise emitters really work. And if they do at first the critters get used to them and ignore them over time.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Don't know if this has been posted before, but my mom is largely afraid of spiders so I have been trying to recommend her some products from Home Depot I saw, but want to get some input from you guys on how you keep spiders and other bugs out of the house.

We only seem to get them during the summer, which makes sense but this summer we had a bad problem and found a nest with at least 300 of the things crawling in our landscaping. They creep me out as well.

But more importantly, I would rather keep them out of the house. I have heard noise emitors work that you plug into the wall, but don't know how reliable these are.

Also, I heard spider killer that you dispense through a fertilizer machine works good too for the most part.

Any tips, suggestions, experience, please reply.

As for noise emiters - spiders do not hear, they feel noise vibrations through the hairs on their legs. I don't believe that they work but that's just my opinion.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:54 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I only draw the line at the few spiders that bite. By and large, spiders are good guys and eat annoying bugs for you. I just sweep and vacuum and occasionally put the bigger ones outside. I'd rather deal with them that way than expose me and my animals to toxic pesticides in my living area.

Borax sprinkled around entry points can be effective for deterring and killing many bugs (ok, arachnids) without toxins that also damage you. It is basically impossible to seal up a house so completely that a spider can't get in. Just be sure your pets and toddlers can't get to it. I don't think any of the noise emitters really work. And if they do at first the critters get used to them and ignore them over time.
JAK, I agree with this poster 100%. Spiders are very beneficial, but I do use a vacuum to remove both the spider and the web from my house and garage.

Two exceptions to my statement above are (1) I first seek out out any black widows in the garage and around the foundation, and eliminate them with a direct contact pesticide. (2) In August and September we are visited by tarantulas, which are then gently transported to a field nearby.

High summer temps drive the spiders into the home, where most usually starve for lack of food. I can imagine a hunter spider surviving for awhile on other spiders but, generally, they will starve, but maybe not before giving someone a scare.

If you feel that it's necessary to treat the exterior, a direct contact pesticide
is best for spiders. Some spiders recycle their webs, so treating the web with a residual would work in this case.

I don't believe that the electronic insect and rodent repelling devices will be of value to you, or anyone else, for that matter.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,261 times
I see spiders quite frequently but as the previous poster stated, I just vacum. I have never used any special treatment for them, as I figure they can be quite useful, provided that they're not poisonous. None of us has ever been bitten, so I just as well not try and seek them out and leave them to themselves. If I see one, yes I vacum it up or trap it in a paper towel and toss him/her outdoors.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
As odd as it may sound to some people I am happy to hear so many people understand the benefits of spiders...and many other creatures. So many people hate so many different kinds of bugs and animals---or are afraid of them. It's a good practice to do some research about them and learn more about them. I also put the little buggers outside instead of killing them. My hubbie thinks I'm crazy...maybe I am!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,533 times
An alternative or supplement to using chemicals to kill bugs is to simply seal your house, that way there are no cracks or gaps for the spiders and other bugs to get in. It's pretty easy--just buy some silicone caulk from the store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) and seal around all windows, doors, crown molding, and plumbing. Not only will this keep bugs out but it will also keep your energy bill low because heated or air-conditioned air will not leak out. BTW, I specified silicone caulk because it won't crack under extreme heat or cold, won't shrink, and won't get mold and mildew growth. If you do it correctly the first time, you never have to do it again.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
An alternative or supplement to using chemicals to kill bugs is to simply seal your house, that way there are no cracks or gaps for the spiders and other bugs to get in. It's pretty easy--just buy some silicone caulk from the store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) and seal around all windows, doors, crown molding, and plumbing. Not only will this keep bugs out but it will also keep your energy bill low because heated or air-conditioned air will not leak out. BTW, I specified silicone caulk because it won't crack under extreme heat or cold, won't shrink, and won't get mold and mildew growth. If you do it correctly the first time, you never have to do it again.
It really isn't possible to seal up a house that tightly. And it probably isn't healthy either. If you open your window to get fresh air, a tiny spider can squeeze in along the edges of the screen. Dryer vents, bath vents, all are needed to get bad air and moisture out and tiny little bugs can get in. Most houses will have a little hole somewhere or another that is just about impossible to find. Even a mouse needs only a dime sized hole somewhere to get in and they are far worse than most spiders.

How big a deal is it to vacuum your corners?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:22 PM

523 posts, read 2,905,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
It really isn't possible to seal up a house that tightly. And it probably isn't healthy either. If you open your window to get fresh air, a tiny spider can squeeze in along the edges of the screen. Dryer vents, bath vents, all are needed to get bad air and moisture out and tiny little bugs can get in. Most houses will have a little hole somewhere or another that is just about impossible to find. Even a mouse needs only a dime sized hole somewhere to get in and they are far worse than most spiders.

How big a deal is it to vacuum your corners?
I agree that it's impossible to keep out 100% of bugs from home sealing but it certainly will reduce the number of bugs from getting in.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:45 AM

522 posts, read 1,584,627 times
Default Mothballs

My friend's mother swears by placing moth balls along the corners of the houseand behind furniture. I don't know if it works as I have never used them. I can't stomach the smell of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House