Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Only an idiot wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a front door and a service door.
Not really. In the example you provided, the mudroom door is recessed (alot), single with no decorative features; the front door has sidelights, fully paneled and decorated. Obviously, the front door takes center stage.

The OPs [future] mud room door is will either be flushed or slightly recessed. In the pic provided, it looks like the front door is only flanked with two vertical decorative shutters.So it looks kind of plain. There doesn't appear to be side lights or a transom which would make it more distinct. Also, the OP hasn't said if both doors are paneled or will look similar. Or if the front door will have molding or other decorative features as part of the project. So it's a real question as to whether the front door will really stand out compared to the mud room door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You are right that there's not a whole lot of room for the porch's roof, but I've seen before-and-after photos of houses that look (at the start) almost exactly like this one, and in those cases the porch's roof basically started right at the bottom of the 2nd-floor windows.
Can you post those pictures?

Quote:
I think these porches that I've seen (and envision for this house) are pretty narrow (5-6' deep) so there doesn't have to be a whole lot of room for the roof to angle down (if that makes sense).
Is this porch just for decoration to make your house look like a farm house? You can't really do much with a 5'-6' deep porch. You really should think about that. It's too narrow to put porch furniture in groupings, they need to be lined up side by side. And there isn't much leg room, you're pretty much sitting there with the railing 2' away. I know because I owned a house with a narrow porch like that and it was such a disappointment. You've got 10' so it would be a shame to limit it to 5'-6' feet.

Quote:
Hopes, I do like the idea of wrapping it around on the left side of the house, but there's a big (~17'x13') screened porch there already, so not sure if I need another screened room. My kitties would like it though ...
You don't have to screen it in, but that side of the house allows for a much deeper, usable porch. I also like connecting it to the garage side to give the house a polished look from the driveway, that's the direction from which all visitors will view your house.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Dang, that's impressive! wonder how much that cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Whoa! I had to look twice before believing it IS the same house! Impressive . .. what a helll of a makeover. Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Here is a before and after done by a local remodeler here:

EDIT: Thanks for the rep whoever you were. Yes, I did not mention his name, but it is Lucke Remodeling, Mason OH, FYI.
There is an area of Cincinnati (Kenwood) that was built up in the 60's and 70's with many like the generic house that was the before photo, then with changing demographics, and changing school districts, it became one of the most desirable areas in town. But, not quite pricy enough for tear downs. Hence the extreme makeover.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Default "after"-type photo

Haven't posted here in a couple of weeks, was looking for the sites/photos I had seen of Colonials being transformed into farmhouses with the addition of a front porch. (I need to bookmark more so I can find things I like!!)

In the meantime, here's one photo -- it's actually from a Home Depot "catalog" and is more like an "after." (If you picture it without the porch it would look like a Colonial.)

Any more comments would be welcome! I'll try to find more photos too!
Attached Thumbnails
adding a front porch (PIC)-house_with_front_porch_resized_try2.bmp  

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 03-22-2012 at 03:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House