Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,234 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying a house with a Chinese drywall problem. Does anyone have any experience with remediation? Here's a company that claims to have a solution without ripping out existing drywall. Chinese drywall solution, RISS System, RISS Drywall, sulfur gas contaminants Not sure what it is but I assume it's some kind of ventilation system. Any thoughts on the issue? Thanks.

Last edited by geos; 12-09-2009 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I'm thinking of buying a house with a Chinese drywall problem. Does anyone have any experience with remediation? Here's a company that claims to have a solution without ripping out existing drywall. Chinese drywall solution, RISS System, RISS Drywall, sulfur gas contaminants Not sure what it is but I assume it's some kind of ventilation system. Any thoughts on the issue? Thanks.
It sounds like they are going to clad the drywall in something. How will that help the wiring and pipes that is decaying in the walls? The only way to truly deal with it is to tear it out completely. Do they want you to pay them something for the hose or are they giving it to you? I don't think I would want it for a gift.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM

201 posts, read 611,425 times
Quote:
Don't walk...run away from any home that you know has this problem. With so much product on the market why would you take such a gamble?

Last edited by PaulieM; 12-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: sentence construction

Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 PM

14 posts, read 42,005 times
Quote:
How much cheaper is are the homes with Chinese drywall than a homes without? This looks like an air filtering system but they are very secertive. I have been trying to find home with CDW in SW FL to monitor the sulfur compounds in the air. Most people want the drywall replaced ASAP, not a bandaid. I have measured a single home for 10 days. Purging the home with fresh dry air for 10 days reduced to sulfur compounds in the air to near outside levels. The builder than decided to replace the drywall at "no charge". That was time to stop experimanting and get out of the way.
The Riss system is not sharing any real information on how the system operates. My guess that they are filtering the air in the home with activated carbon/potassium premagenate to filter out the sulfur gases. The $770 per year cost must be for filter media. I like the idea of purging these home with fresh air and keeping the home dry as healthier strategy. Extreme filtering may work. Keep us posted. Regards, Ken

Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,340 times
ASTM36C, KNAUF, or CHINA stamped drywall are the markings of the Chinese made toxic drywall. The problem is coming from coal ash that was mixed into the gypsum drywall compound. It appears that China was attempting to get rid of their coal ash problems by mixing it with the drywall compound. When the drywall is exposed to moisture, such as high humidity a chemical reaction starts. The result of this reaction is the production of Hydrogen Sulfide and Sulfuric acid gas.An effective remedy to resolve water damage in a home is to remove the drywall that has been wet -- and that is just water damage that can send children and whole families to a respirator due to mold or mildew that would grow inside a water wet wall.....

It should be a crime for someone to sell a home with the Chinese drywall. The harmful gas is being emitted from the contents of the Chinese made drywall. Masking the results within the walls of a home by flooding the area with air is not going to resolve the issue. The more people who believe it will effectively work are being zoomed by false readings.

The resolve is removing the drywall and if one doesn't then this person is only looking for a continuation of masking the drywall interior that seems to be ridiculous.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,234 times
Here's a company that claims a solution using chlorine dioxide: Problem Drywall (http://www.sabretechservices.com/drywall/ - broken link)

In recent months, Sabre has worked to adapt its chlorine dioxide decontamination process to an emerging problem in the southeastern U.S. – contaminated drywall. Chlorine dioxide permanently solves this problem because it is a highly penetrating gas that seeps into building materials and wall cavities, reacting instantaneously with reduced sulfur compounds converting them to safe, inert compounds, eliminating odors and stopping corrosion. Sabre’s proprietary chlorine dioxide treatment process, which has been perfected through the successful decontamination of hundreds of structures, is a permanent, nondestructive solution to drywall challenges.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
From waht i recently read its not just chniese drywall taht has had this problem. perosanlly;i would rip it out as the best solution.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 28,917 times
Be careful of what Sabre is promising. Their "high-tech" air quality testing machine couldn't even get an accurate reading to confirm that my house has Chinese drywall. They came back a second time to test, and then never sent me any results. I had to demand a refund for that portion of the costs from the visual inspection company that set me up with them for the air test. My house was already confirmed to have Chinese drywall by two visual inspections and the fact that my drywall has "Made in China" written on it!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 14,585 times
I'm buying a house with chinese drywall but I'm gutting to the studs and than i'll take the next step after it's gutted

Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 AM

18 posts, read 183,575 times
Good advise!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House