Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times

Advertisements

I found a great house plan, but it has dormers. I think I'd prefer skylights, but want to hear pros and cons regarding both from those who've had them. Educate me please.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Personally and professionally I wouldn't normally put the two in the same sentence. There are way more differences than similarities.
Dormers are an extension of the roof to allow headroom at a window and provides egress to that room. From a structural standpoint there is nothing really complicated- and the roofing is a continuation of the main body. Usually most problems with a dormer come from improperly installed siding (too close to the adjacent roofing) and lack of kick flashing, to an improper amount of overhang (eave) especially on "doghouse" style dormers. Shed dormers are less complicated but can share the same problems as "doghouse" dormers. Eyebrow dormers- as unique as they are, and a true design original- they are a pain in the ass to frame, sheath, flash, and roof. Not to mention installing a custom built sash for it.

As I stated in my opening sentence- the two don't belong together in the same sentence. However, due to extensive world traveling in a younger time I noticed these(CABRIO ) to be very popular. I even had the opportunity to actually use one. They are the best of both worlds.
Velux is the only name- AND I MEAN ONLY name I would trust when it comes to skylights. And that still requires a very well experienced installer.
The point here is this- Most skylights are NOTORIOUS for leaking! Half the time it's the installer, the other half is the sorry-ass manufacturer.
I was associated with a builder that had a couple of plans that required skylights- the company bought the cheapest piece of crap I'd ever seen- vented frame (not sure if that was by design or just poor manufacturing design), non-insulated Lexan dome lens, and no flashing/install flange. When push came to shove about the re-occurring leaks, they were eventually dropped from the plans. I built a couple of plans that also required skylights- I used Velux!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Thank you so much for explaining that in detail! I will keep this info in mind for future use. Good stuff.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Those Cabrio's are really cool.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We have both. I like dormers a lot better. You can see out them and actually see something. You cna open the windows and increase air flow through the house. If done right, dormers actually add to the overall appearance of the house, while skylights or solatube recievers look ugly. Dormers are less likely to leak over time if they are done right. You can climb out of a dormer in a fire. usually ormers give you easy access to the roof.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Dormers are much more attractive, if done to scale. They can also add space in the house depending on the style of the dormer. Skylights are just all around a pain in the rear. They leak easily, there is no easy way to clean them when they get dirty, they allow TOO much sun in on warm days and can really increase your cooling bills. I hate skylights. Now, a friend has one of those solar tube things in her hallway and that actually is not bad. It isn't meant to be a 'window" as much as just a source of light. It also doesn't let in heat (she lives in Arizona) but provides enough light that they don't need to turn on a light in that area of the house and at night, there is enough glow from lights outside, etc. that it is gives off about as much light as a nightlight.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Dormers are much more attractive, if done to scale. They can also add space in the house depending on the style of the dormer. Skylights are just all around a pain in the rear. They leak easily, there is no easy way to clean them when they get dirty, they allow TOO much sun in on warm days and can really increase your cooling bills. I hate skylights. Now, a friend has one of those solar tube things in her hallway and that actually is not bad. It isn't meant to be a 'window" as much as just a source of light. It also doesn't let in heat (she lives in Arizona) but provides enough light that they don't need to turn on a light in that area of the house and at night, there is enough glow from lights outside, etc. that it is gives off about as much light as a nightlight.
I should have mentioned initially that this is a one-story plan, so egress wouldn't be an issue, hopefully.

You're right about the cleaning issue! Duh, I hadn't thought of it. Don't want them getting all cloudy like old headlights on a car. However, I love the idea of natural light in rooms like the kitchen and bath. Thanks so much for all the input everyone.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
If you are just lookig for natural light, use solatubes. No cleaning, less of an ugly blemish on the roof, less likely to leak very little heat transferrence.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM

And more economical too, I'm sure. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
It's nearly impossible to easily clean a skylight.....I wouldn't have one! It would drive me batty when it gets dirty and I can't get on the roof to clean it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House