Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Haha. Reminds me of DH's Rolex watch. Everytime he wears it it has to be reset because its a self winder. Our family joke is that you need to pay a lot less than that for a watch if you actually want it to tell time.
You can get a storage thingy that moves it back and forth to keep it wound when you are not wearing it. Of course the storage thingy costs 20x more than a more accurate nice battery powered watch. A rolex is not a timepiece, it is jewlry. Petek Phillipe - that is a timepiece. And jewlry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Ugh, don't tell me that. We just bought a Bosch dishwasher a couple of weeks ago. It is very quiet, sometimes I don't know its on except for the red light that shines on the floor. Mine cleans well but not a fan of the rack layout. One thing that I don't like is that it beeps when the cycle done. The manual says this means to turn it off. It also gives instructions on how to turn off the beeping sound if you don't wish to hear it.. So Im a bit perplexed. The last dishwasher turned off when it was done. Bosch doesn't? So if I turn off the beep, will it eventually turn itself off?
All the Boschs do the same thing to my knowledge. The on/off button is manual on off for the whole thing. That said, when the cycle is done, there is nothing in particular that is "on" except for any little LED lights indicating which cycle you ran and also the one that says "sanitized" when it's done. I have controls on front so mine shows 0 in the countdown window when done and it doesn't beep at all. It also wants to make sure you notice the "Refill Rinse Aid" light before switching off, I think.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I know we can buy a big seperate freezer, but what I wanted is a fridge freezer combination. I did not want to buy a seperate fridge and freezer. The old beat up fridge we have has barely adequate freezer space (stuff falls out every time you open the door), but the fridge part sits almost empty, except for some extra milk and a few odds and ends that will not fit in the fridge that is in the kitchen.
I don't think there ever really has been a combo unit though with that kind of split, large freezer and little fridge. It's just not something that's called for by most folks; otherwise it might exist. The closest I've ever really seen is an even split, like big side-by-sides that are really separate units. You keep saying there's so little in the other fridge though, doesn't sound like you need another fridge. You just need a freezer. They do come in various sizes and designs, not all as ugly as I thought. Doesn't necessarily have to be a commercial type glass-front one to be short enough for what you're talking about. If you do need that backup fridge too I guess you'll need two pieces, but fridges also come in various small sizes.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
I would prefer a gas or electtic range without the computer controls, motherboards, etc. A new one, not an old greasepit I would have to clean and get tested. Also on gas, pilot lights instead of sparkers. And have the stove be the modern style.

The more computers that go on appliances, the more breakdown likely so it seems.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 PM

36 posts, read 212,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have a thing about refrigerators too. I wanted a black, counter depth side by side BUT I did not want the "thru-the-door" ice and water thingy. It takes up too much freezer space and they leak and I just don't need it. I could only find 2 such appliances in existance and neither in stock anywhere so I orderd one special from an appliance store. That was about 8 years ago and I know mine isn't being made any more leaving exactly 1 out there somewhere, maybe, if I ever need to replace it.

I will never EVER buy one of those stupid bottom freezer units. Who the hell likes those? I don't know anyone who does and I know a lot of homemakers!
We have a single door bottom freezer unit and I love it, though I'm kind of a food hoarder and have a small chest freezer also. I've been looking for a high quality high-end type smallish french door fridge with a bottom freezer for some time and haven't been able to find anything.

Also - I prefer white appliances.... why can't I find a slide-in style induction range for my kitchen. The only thing that exists (and is mostly SS) is a Viking which costs over $3k. do not want. Can't I just buy a $2000 induction slide in range?@?!?!?!?!?!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
My pet peeve in the past was the electric coil range drip pans...even lining them, they never stayed clean...I'm a cleaning fanatic so....and when cooking nothing would boil over, yet the liners/pans would be dirty...strange....I totally detested taking those burners apart and cleaning the stove top every night after cooking....happier with the smooth top range or a gas cooktop...never again with those old style coil burners/pans...ugh LOL

Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I HATE refridgerators.

I think they are the ugliest things to look at in the whole house. I don't know why they don't make all of them counter depth. They are big and clunky looking.

I hate the side by side, they don't have that much room. I hate the freezer on the bottom, more so I hate the drawers on the bottom. It is not a dresser. LOL

I think I will get the panels to match the cabinets when I re-do......if I could ever make my mind up

fridges are just ugly, I wish I could put it in the closet...
Some of the new homes I have seen have the refrigerator hidden in a closet. It gives the kitchen a very neat and clean appearance.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Some of the new homes I have seen have the refrigerator hidden in a closet. It gives the kitchen a very neat and clean appearance.
Yeah, but can you open the door? Now that would be a pet peeve!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaureltQ View Post
We have a single door bottom freezer unit and I love it, though I'm kind of a food hoarder and have a small chest freezer also. I've been looking for a high quality high-end type smallish french door fridge with a bottom freezer for some time and haven't been able to find anything.

Also - I prefer white appliances.... why can't I find a slide-in style induction range for my kitchen. The only thing that exists (and is mostly SS) is a Viking which costs over $3k. do not want. Can't I just buy a $2000 induction slide in range?@?!?!?!?!?!
I do not know whether they slide in, but Sears had decent induction ranges a few years ago. They were not outrageously expensive either. Induction has come a long way.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
If yu have the money, sub zero fridges can be made to look like cabinetry. You cannot tell it is a fridge unless it is open. It is really neat. I have seen dishwashers like that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House