Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had success with this?

I am in need of a new unit. I am not sure what kind to get. Has anyone ever bought online (after research obviously) and then had someone install it for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
My issue would be warranty work.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
My issue would be warranty work.
That was one of my concerns as well.

I am just doing some preliminary work right now. We won't have the money to do this until next year.

I was thinking the warranty would be through the manufacturer, right? But if something happens won't they stand by their product?

I wanted to see how much i am going to save too. I don't have any real dollar examples, but just ideas in my head. My home is a 2400 sq foot ranch style full brick. So if it costs $6000 for a new unit bought from a local person, and I can buy the same thing online for $3K and pay them $500 to install then it may be worth the savings of $2500, right?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I'd be more concerned about finding a licensed tech that will do the install. Of the numerous HVAC contractors I've worked with over the years, none will install equipment they didn't furnish. I'd look for the tech first and sort of any warranty issues with him before buying anything.....if you can find somebody to install it.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Is the unit new or used. Who pays the freight to ship it to you. The mfg probably only warrants it to the first buyer if you're buying from a pvt party. Proper install should cost way more than $500.00, closer to $1500.00. Is duct work involved and matching. Mfg may not warranty new item if unauthorized person installs it. Who you gonna call when it breaks down or needs warranty servicing. Is all this worth it.
Buy local, save time, probably money too, headaches and support your local businesses.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
One of the best HVAC service people I had worked as independent. Even with such a person available to me, I would not on-line order a system for him to install. It could be a warranty nightmare.

I would think the HVAC business has a slow period (when heat nor air is required) thus one could do some wise shopping (bargaining) between dealers during the slow time. As part of the baragining, get them to throw in an extended warranty and/or a year or two of routine service calls.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 07-07-2012 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post

I am just doing some preliminary work right now. We won't have the money to do this until next year.

I was thinking the warranty would be through the manufacturer, right? But if something happens won't they stand by their product?

I wanted to see how much i am going to save too. I don't have any real dollar examples, but just ideas in my head. My home is a 2400 sq foot ranch style full brick. So if it costs $6000 for a new unit bought from a local person, and I can buy the same thing online for $3K and pay them $500 to install then it may be worth the savings of $2500, right?
No, most won't stand by their warranty if the product is purchased online. One example:

Quote:
Internet Sales Policy

No warranty is offered on Goodman brand equipment purchased by consumers over the Internet, including web-based auctions.

This policy is necessary to ensure that Goodman brand equipment is installed properly, in compliance with applicable laws, rules and codes, and in a manner that addresses safety concerns and the proper performance of Goodman brand equipment.
Internet Sales Void Warranty

Last edited by BigJon3475; 07-07-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
If you go this route, I suggest finding the installer first. Also, why not show some local shops the Internet pricing and ask them to match + install?

The issue is that if there is a problem, the manufacturer may blame the installer. Watch out for that.

Op, if your numbers are correct, and you can save almost half, it may be worth it. To be safe, you may buy a brand that doesn't void their warranty.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,082 times
You can also save money by buying your motor oil at Wal Mart and asking a local service station if you can use their lift.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post

I bought a new Electric furnace for my small trailer on line for 525.00 and No tax. Delivery was 25.00 and was delivered inside my trailer. Local installer charged 500.00 to install and does warrenty work.

If I bought local it was going to cost me over 1500.00 and I could not find anybody to give me time of day to check my place out or return phone calls, they wanted bigger accounts. Mine was only a 10K furnace, so not big enough to bother with.

I also want to install a AC heat pump and have contacted several places for prices and install. I was told on phone about 3000.00 for my 680 sq. ft trailer. I am still waiting for quote from repetable (sp) installer and it has been 6 months now.

To hell with buying local, I will be ordering on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House