Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 56,698 times

Advertisements

I live in Glenpool, OK. I have owned this house since it was built in 1983. The natural gas shutoff valves at my water heater and my furnace have started to leak a small amount of gas. I want to replace these valves. The work is quite simple, involving just a couple of pipe wrenches, the proper pipe dope and the replacement valves.

My problem is that I cannot find a main shutoff valve upstream of these valves. Does anyone know how I can block in the gas to my house so that I can do the work? Can I (legally) do my own repair work or is a licensed plumber required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
The shutoff is often at the meter, but sometimes locked to restrict access. I cut a lock off a meter some years ago to allow an emergency turn-off and no one said anything but it was replaced by someone a few month later.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balota View Post
...cannot find a main shutoff valve
As said... at the meter.

Quote:
The natural gas shutoff valves at my water heater and my furnace have started to leak a small amount of gas.
Do either of these use flexible connectors for the final connection?
Assuming so... they are far more likely to be the problem than the valves.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Checked at the meter. There does not appear to be a shutoff valve there, just the regulator going into the meter. Maybe I missed it, I'll go check again. Also, I used soapy water to look for leaks and the leak is at the packing nut on the bottom of the water heater shutoff valve. My furnace is shut off and that valve does not appear to be leaking, but I figured with 30 year old valves, why not replace both of them with upgraded valves.

I don't want to have to change the valve by quick valve removal and plugging of the gas pipe. Really don't want to allow that much of a cloud to form. Much better if I can get the main supply shut off. Maybe I should just not pay my bill ... j/k.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Found the shutoff at the meter. It was buried. Anyone know if there are legal/insurance issues with me doing my own repair work?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:24 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Found the shutoff at the meter. It was buried. Anyone know if there are legal/insurance issues with me doing my own repair work?
You have to check with your utilities/gas company. Just call them, and find out. Rules/laws/codes change from place to place, so all we can do is shoot opinions at you.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
I'm quite certain the utility will advise you to hire a pro if you ask, but it sounds like you can handle what you're doing.

Natural gas after the meter is only under a couple of pounds of pressure- so shut off the main & get r' done...

Just use common sense, take your time & use soap bubbles to check your work.

I've done several complete re-pipes & never had a leak, except when trying to re-use those flexi-hoses, so my advice would be to replace them if you touch them & be sure to look your replacement valves over carefully to ensure they're approved for natural gas.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I'm quite certain the utility will advise you to hire a pro if you ask, but it sounds like you can handle what you're doing.

Natural gas after the meter is only under a couple of pounds of pressure- so shut off the main & get r' done...

Just use common sense, take your time & use soap bubbles to check your work.

I've done several complete re-pipes & never had a leak, except when trying to re-use those flexi-hoses, so my advice would be to replace them if you touch them & be sure to look your replacement valves over carefully to ensure they're approved for natural gas.
Our local gas company has a safety feature on their meters that prevents the gas from coming back "on" after it has been interrupted. A couple years ago, after I had shut off the gas in order to replace a water heater, and remove a bunch of old unused pipes, I had to call them to have the gas turned back on. No problem, and no charge.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
I live in Glenpool, OK. I have owned this house since it was built in 1983. The natural gas shutoff valves at my water heater and my furnace have started to leak a small amount of gas. I want to replace these valves. The work is quite simple, involving just a couple of pipe wrenches, the proper pipe dope and the replacement valves.

My problem is that I cannot find a main shutoff valve upstream of these valves. Does anyone know how I can block in the gas to my house so that I can do the work? Can I (legally) do my own repair work or is a licensed plumber required?
DANGEROUS!! Call your local gas company or a plumber. I use to work for our local gas company in the office but was totally involved in issues like this setting up a team to go out and take care of leaks, etc. DO NOT touch anything and set off a spark of any kind and DO NOT do your own work any longer. You are putting yourself in danger and your family as well. The gas company will come out FAST if you are having a leaking problem. There is a good chance the shut off valves are outside of your home and cannot be turned off by anyone but your gas company. If you have bottled gas (propane) then call your propane provider.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
There is a chance the gas company would come out and check for leaks and make the repairs while they are there.

During home inspections I frequently find small gas leaks. My calls to the utility company always gets a response/visit within 15 minutes.

IN my area the meters do not have locks on then, nor do they have any feature that has to be re-set. It must be a regional thing. In CA, plumbers did gas connections, in TN its the HVAC contractors that do gas.

Home owners are allowed to do some gas repairs.

I would call the utility company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House