Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:23 PM

14,487 posts, read 20,671,714 times

Advertisements

Product Detail : Quartz 4 Element Infrared Heater

Anyone tried that heater?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Lifesmart heaters are sold by just about everybody under the sun.
Yeah, even Walmart. Who happen to have the cheapest price.
Never used one- but have looked at them. I think there are better alternatives on the market.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
My dad has one. It seems to be as good as any of the overpriced space heaters currently on the market. You can do much better with the little quartz cube heaters available at home improvement stores for about $40.

Heaters have limits on their power draw and they are basically all the same, the differences are pretty much packaging. If you think that one looks $80 prettier than the cube heaters - go for it.

However do not buy the $300 one they send you mailers about. It also works no better and usually breaks within a year. That is when you discover the warrany is really useless.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
As an apartment dwellers, to me, space heaters are a big fire hazzard.

This past winter the stupid old man left his space heater on all night long, (he lived on the 4th floor) obviously because he was cold.Unfortunetely the space heater caught something on fire and now he has no apartment, and the tenants above him lost thier apartment as well, plus the 3 tenants below him all suffered extensive water damage.

so now because of a space heater 3 tenants are now homeless until the LL can fix the apartments.
this happened months ago, and the windows are still all boarded up...

a dam shame.

I would never use a space heater, no matter how cold the dwelling is.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
...Heaters have limits on their power draw and they are basically all the same, the differences are pretty much packaging...

Right! The 120 volt plug in models are all the same.

1500 Watts of heat is 1500 Watts of heat. The same amount of heat will come out of each!

I think I paid $26 for one and that puts out the same heat as a $100 model with the same wattage.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
As an apartment dwellers, to me, space heaters are a big fire hazzard.

This past winter the stupid old man left his space heater on all night long, (he lived on the 4th floor) obviously because he was cold.Unfortunetely the space heater caught something on fire and now he has no apartment, and the tenants above him lost thier apartment as well, plus the 3 tenants below him all suffered extensive water damage.

so now because of a space heater 3 tenants are now homeless until the LL can fix the apartments.
this happened months ago, and the windows are still all boarded up...

a dam shame.

I would never use a space heater, no matter how cold the dwelling is.
Some are more of a fire hazard than others. The oil-filled (cool to the touch) ones are pretty safe, as are some of the ceramics and straight convection models. The cheap ones with ribbon elements and a fan can be VERY dangerous. Cursing all space heaters because of incidents with cheap ones used inappropriately is like blaming a car for running down a pedestrian.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Right! The 120 volt plug in models are all the same.

1500 Watts of heat is 1500 Watts of heat. The same amount of heat will come out of each!

I think I paid $26 for one and that puts out the same heat as a $100 model with the same wattage.
There's some caveats to that. The ones with a fan will heat and circulate a greater volume of air but at lower temperature than the radiant ones. The oil filled ones heat up slower but also cool down slower providing a more even temperature, plus they generally have a lot of surface area so again you're heating large volume air but at a lower temperature.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,673,474 times
My experience says oil filled ones. They are big and cumbersome and they do take time to warm the room up but they are safe as in church and pets do not seem to mind them. For years I used on a glassed in, unheated porch during the winter. Just had to be sure to turn it on a few hours before we wanted to use the porch.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 08-29-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 06:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There's some caveats to that. The ones with a fan will heat and circulate a greater volume of air but at lower temperature than the radiant ones. The oil filled ones heat up slower but also cool down slower providing a more even temperature, plus they generally have a lot of surface area so again you're heating large volume air but at a lower temperature.
While what you state is true, 5118 btu/hr (i.e 1500 watt heater) is just that, independent of how it is delivered. It depends what you want to accomplish. For direct spot heating, pure radiant is fine, though it is relatively line-of-site, and everything else in the room tends to remain cold. Convection (forced air) is partially my favorite, as it heats the entire room, granted air is not exactly the best with thermal mass. Personally, my favorite is something like an oil-filled heater (large thermal mass), with a small fan behind it.
(Not to digress to badly, but a woodstove with a shroud and blower, such as a fireplace insert, gives you large thermal mass, convection and radiation all in one package). YMMV

Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
(Not to digress to badly, but a woodstove with a shroud and blower, such as a fireplace insert, gives you large thermal mass, convection and radiation all in one package). YMMV
Or a coal stove. That's where my username comes from, I've been involved with the home heating industry for 20 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House