Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM

114 posts, read 777,715 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking into buying solar panels. To us, the research we have done seems to be mostly positive. Our solar payment bill would be about $20-30 more than our electric bill per month for 9 years. The invertor is covered for 15, the panels for 25, and all labor for 15 years. We calculated that we should still be breaking even or in the positive even if we have to replace the inverter after the warranty period. We also just bought our southern California house in April and plan to be here at least until we raise the kids we don't have yet, minimum of 20 years.

So to the question, whenever I mention solar panels to some of my friends, I get the immediate, "Oh, those are soooo expensive....so not worth it....what a ripoff". But none of these people have done any current research.

So when I say "solar," what do you say? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:06 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
It is a solution for some but not necessarily a cost savings as the capital investment, maintenance, and depreciation must be factored in.

I personally would rather buy my power, water, sewer, and trash services rather than spend my time doing something I am not well equipped to handle.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmiller741 View Post
So to the question, whenever I mention solar panels to some of my friends, I get the immediate, "Oh, those are soooo expensive....so not worth it....what a ripoff". But none of these people have done any current research.
Realistically they are correct. It's only the subsidies and the tax credits that make them affordable. How much is it that California is in the hole?

Having said that if you have the capital for the initial investment and work the system you as an individual can benefit, how much depends on which state you're in. Here in PA there is potential to actually make money after a few years. The costs are passed onto the ratepayer.

Quote:
Pennsylvania AEPS Alternative Energy Credit Program | Welcome
The Pennsylvania Alternative Energy Portfolio Standard (AEPS) requires that an annually increasing percentage of electricity sold to retail customers in Pennsylvania is from alternative energy sources. The program requires that retail energy suppliers utilize Alternative Energy Credits (AECs) for demonstrating compliance with the standard. An AEC is created each time a qualified alternative energy facility produces 1000 kWh of electricity. The AEC is then be sold or traded separately from the power. This makes it easy for individuals and businesses to finance and invest in clean, emission free solar power.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Solar is impractical unless it is subsidzed. See what tax breaks you can get to offset the cost. It is a neat toy however. Solar heat collectors with water lines running through them cna work pretty well for heat/hot water. Solar generated electricity is just a game.

even fuel cells which work far better are impractical without government subsidies. Windmills - same thing. Now if you could build a small nuclear generator in your garage, THAT would pay for itself quickly.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:14 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Solar is impractical unless it is subsidzed. See what tax breaks you can get to offset the cost. It is a neat toy however. Solar heat collectors with water lines running through them cna work pretty well for heat/hot water. Solar generated electricity is just a game.

even fuel cells which work far better are impractical without government subsidies. Windmills - same thing. Now if you could build a small nuclear generator in your garage, THAT would pay for itself quickly.
Solar is practical, because it is subsidized (like gasoline).
Photovoltaic Panels are not a toy or a game but a real world energy source.
Some homes get 100% of al power needs (including heat & hot water from PV.
You do realize that fuels cells are NOT an energy source, but just storage, like a battery.
And what would you be milling with your windmill? Perhaps you meant to say wind turbine?
And nuclear will not pay for itself quickly, which is one of the reasons no new nuclear plants have been built in about 30 years.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 PM

114 posts, read 777,715 times
I do really like the idea of the nuclear reactor. What a great conversation starter. :-)

Old 09-22-2012, 03:35 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Solar is practical, because it is subsidized (like gasoline).

In what way do you think gasoline is subsidized?

Old 09-22-2012, 04:15 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
I do really like the idea of the nuclear reactor. What a great conversation starter. :-)
Actually it's the not in my backyard effect that's keeping them from being built. Personally if I could put one in my garage I would.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 PM

210 posts, read 577,115 times
Unfortunately we should of listened to President Carter...Now the U.S. is playing catch-up with the energy companies fighting us tooth and nail. Prices are starting to come down but without manufacturers it's going to take some time. The technology is there.

The word that comes to my mind when I think solar...Reagan

Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
My wife and I are looking into buying solar panels. To us, the research we have done seems to be mostly positive. Our solar payment bill would be about $20-30 more than our electric bill per month for 9 years. The invertor is covered for 15, the panels for 25, and all labor for 15 years. We calculated that we should still be breaking even or in the positive even if we have to replace the inverter after the warranty period. We also just bought our southern California house in April and plan to be here at least until we raise the kids we don't have yet, minimum of 20 years.

So when I say "solar," what do you say? Thanks for the help.
Consider a half system. Anything workable today is a peak system. Nothing that is going to work over night.

Why a half system? You get wet. Learn the system. Bet half as much money. And if it starts to get better put in the other half. And then maybe one more half.

It would appear PV solar is on the edge of working blocked basically by costing too much. But there is pretty good progress on that and in seven or ten years in could actually turn the corner.

Natural gas has set solar of all sorts, wind, nuclear and coal back about tern years. We have a new and cheap source of power with lots available.

So don't rush in. Be judicious. But be ready if it does make it.

In the meantime set up to sell peak energy to the southern CA utilities. Could prove lucrative if they end up paying you what they charge. Hey Let the house get a little warm and go for the $0.32 per KWH sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House