Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times

Advertisements

I need creative ideas and/or solutions to a problem I am having. I have a window that is small but tall that faces the street. I want to block the view of the street, so I dont have to stare out at traffic or so neighbors dont want to stare into my window. I dont want to block the air flow so I can open the window and get some breeze. I have window film on the glass, but when I open the window, it is just a simple screen so you can see right in from the street. It is a brick wall so I dont want to nail into the brick or concrete. Metal frame window, cant do anything with that either. It has a small slanted brick window sill. I was thinking about building something outside a few feet away from the window and then tall out of wood. Maybe a trellis, lattice, one of those bamboo roll curtains kind of a contraption. Dont want it to look hideous, but I want it to block a lot of the view without people staring and wondering what it is. There is also a neighborhood cat that likes to get up on the ledge and I want to deter it somehow from sitting on the window sill and staring in my house. I was thinking vines on the lattice thing, but dont know if they will work. Is there any option that even if it takes a little elbow grease and creativity to make that I'm not thinking of? I can build whatever I want as I have a privacy fence some feet away from house, but the house/window is on a hill that slants down to the privacy fence and then down across the yard, and then down onto the street. Any serious ideas are welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:13 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Blinds?... you can angle them yet allow air to flow.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM

45,381 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Interior shutters, maybe bi-fold. The slats are adjustable for air flow.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Anything in front of the window is going to block light. I suggest white, horizontal, 2in, faux wooden blinds (maybe plantation shutters). They can be angled to allow privacy, allow air flow with the window open, and not block that much light.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I'd suggest some sort of window garden box that you can put inside, either on the window sill or on a table in front of the window. You can have plants that will block the view while not blocking airflow. If you're not into plant maintenance you can go with silk plants.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Assuming it's a double hung window, pull the top part of the window down for airflow instead of opening via the bottom up.

Hang cafe curtians that hang from the middle of the window down for privacy.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:32 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
You may want to consider changing out the regular screen for a sunscreen. Sunscreens are typically made from fiberglass or polyester and have a dense weave. It probably blocks a small amount of airflow due to the tighter weave, but IMO it's not a noticeable difference. Because of the tighter weave, you can see out clearly but nobody can see inside during the day. (However, at night it appears as a regular screen and you can see inside clearly if you have an interior light on.) This won't hinder your looking out at the street, but it will prevent others from seeing in during the day at least. (You could then just put something pretty outside that you want to look at, without being concerned about others being able to see in.) Depending upon the screen's placement, it may solve the cat problem too.

A sunscreen works by reflecting most of the sun's heat and glare so it would decrease most heat gain, if you look forward to that in the winter.

If you go with Hopes' idea, you could also use a top down/bottom up shade.

Last edited by CheyDee; 10-09-2012 at 04:45 AM..

Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I have the same problem with an antique storm door on the second story that looks down into our yard and an ugly ally. I put some sheers (4 panels) on a tension rod and it allows for plenty of air flow and affords privacy at night with the light on. I'll take the cat. My old neighbors cat used to climb a tree to the second story and wake me up every morning to come in. I miss that.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times
Anybody ever use those bamboo roll shades outside? They are supposed to provide some relief from sun, but I was thinking maybe they would block some view? Dont know how I would hang them though. The window is strange and a strange size. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Anything in front of the window is going to block light. I suggest white, horizontal, 2in, faux wooden blinds (maybe plantation shutters). They can be angled to allow privacy, allow air flow with the window open, and not block that much light.

I have 4" plantation shutters on all my windows. I leave the ones in my front bay window open at a steep angle during the day -- I can see out but no one can see in. You might be surprised to learn how inexpensive one shutter, installed, for your needs costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House