Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:51 PM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times

Advertisements

On a side job we have run into a ceiling fan that needs to be repaired or replaced. There are four lights but one of the sockets is broken. I see no reason why three light would not be enough for the size room.
As you see in the photo the light base is hanging down. As I hold up the base to the black top where it could be secured with screws, it seems the amount of wires are going to be a tight fit.
At the top the wires from the ceiling are 2 red, 2 black, 2 white and 1 blue. Having never installed a ceiling fan I assume that one set of wires is for the lights and the other set of wires is for the rotating 3 speed fan.
The wires at the bottom are 1 white, 1 blue, 1 brown and 3 black. As you can also see there is a connector such that the plug can be removed so the lights are separate from the rest.
What options do we have to find ceiling fan lights that have the proper plug?
We also need fan blades and it uses four it seems.
Installing an entire new ceiling fan gets into all the wires and which are for what and it might be less complicated to just unplug this set of lights and find a replacement. No idea the brand name or the age.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Repair - Replace a ceiling fan-sder-0022222.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 01:35 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Just buy a new fan/light combo.
It's 4 wires-
Blk- hot/fan
Wht- neutral
Grn- ground
Blu- hot/light

IF, you can find just a light kit it's half the cost of the whole fan/light. Then throw new blades in and we'll...

Most newer fans even come with a remote- makes wiring even EASIER!

Old 07-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just buy a new fan/light combo.
It's 4 wires-
Blk- hot/fan
Wht- neutral
Grn- ground
Blu- hot/light

IF, you can find just a light kit it's half the cost of the whole fan/light. Then throw new blades in and we'll...

Most newer fans even come with a remote- makes wiring even EASIER!
We do not have a green wire and we have two red wires from above.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,694,368 times
Looking at your picture, all the controls for the fan are located in the fan light box. This is the way most of the fans are constructed. Most likely you will need to install a new fan/light kit.

For you information, at the bottom the wire colors mean:
White -- neutral (Terminated on breaker box bar); Blue -- light switch, same as blue wire on top; Brown -- fan speed;
Black -- one will be for fan switch (hot wire), the other 2 will be for fan speed.
The top wires near the ceiling
White -- same as above the neutral. One wire comes from the ceiling box and one from the fan
Black -- Switch hot (controlled from a "light switch" on the wall). One wire comes from the ceiling box and one from the fan
Red -- I don't think you have 2 red wires. You probably have the red and blue tied together. The red will be controlled from a different switch (probably right next to the fan switch)

If you don't have a bare copper conductor, then your house was wired before electrical grounds were required.

If you purchase a new fan without a remote and install it, wire as follows at the ceiling box:
Black box to black fan wire
White box to white and green fan wire
Red box to blue fan wire

If you buy a fan with a remote, the red wire is just terminated with a wire nut and the fan wires are replaced with the remote black/white wires

Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,571,878 times
The wires in that connector are for the lights and the fan speed/direction switch. Are the fan and light controlled from wall switches? Did you check the 2 red wires for voltage? Normally, there should be AT LEAST a black (or red) for power and white for neutral. Older houses may not have a bare ground wire.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to get a someone who knows how to install a fan. It's really a very basic electrical job. If it was me, I'd just replace it. Throwing $50 or more in parts at an old fan seems like a waste of time.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,694,368 times
I bet you can find a tutorial on Youtube on installing a ceiling fan. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2017, 03:37 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,571,878 times
As an option, unplug the lower part and take it to a big box store. You just might get lucky!

Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM

209 posts, read 417,744 times
If it was me, I'd call an electrician. The electrician's kids need to eat too, as DH says! I have replaced fans or switched out light fixtures for fan/light combos, but each used just white, black & ground wires.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
If you buy a new fan, it will come with fairly simple installation instructions. Be prepared to curse and sweat (it's hot up by the ceiling).
if it were just the light, I'd say just get a light kit, but fan blades are not uniform; you need the right length and hole placement for the brackets. Be easier and probably cheaper to buy a whole new fan.

I've installed 3, changed the blades on one (had to drill new holes to match the fan brackets), and repaired the chain (broken inside the switch) on one.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Looking at your picture, all the controls for the fan are located in the fan light box. This is the way most of the fans are constructed.
If you purchase a new fan without a remote and install it, wire as follows at the ceiling box:
Black box to black fan wire
White box to white and green fan wire
Red box to blue fan wire
No bare copper and this house being repaired was built in the 1980's I think.
I lowered the cover attached to the ceiling box.
There are two wires coming from the ceiling - black and white.
There are three wires entering the fan box - white, black and red.
The white to white.
The black is connected to the black and the red going into the fan box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House