Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Wait...I have 3 foundation vents which I was referring too. 2 close and the 3rd one I can not open or close. Are we on the same page now or is that diff than what you were talking about. Sorry for confusion and thanks for helping.
If you are south of Fredericksburg, leave them open. Weather is not consistant in this part of the state and the space needs to be kept ventilated. Insulating everything inside the the crawl space will encase the house and warm it up. But you also want to make sure the HVAC under the house is sealed and a ground barrier is in place. Putting it just under one room is not going to help much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If you are south of Fredericksburg, leave them open. Weather is not consistant in this part of the state and the space needs to be kept ventilated. Insulating everything inside the the crawl space will encase the house and warm it up. But you also want to make sure the HVAC under the house is sealed and a ground barrier is in place. Putting it just under one room is not going to help much.
Okay apology for the stupid question but what is a ground barrier?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
It will not hurt to insulate the floor. You may not get a quick return on investment, but it won't hurt anything.
Make sure you put the paper backing up against the floor. You can secure it with little wire clips they sell.

Just remember that hot will go to cold, so the warmth of the room, can be lost thru the floor.
The vapor barrier is plastic sheeting that covers the bare ground in the crawlspace. You want to cover the entire ground. This will keep the water vapor from the ground from getting into the crawlspace and then into the house. Think of the house as a large chimney. Moisture form the crawlspace will move from the crawlspace, into the house, then the attic, and then out the roof.
I have added a couple graphics that will either help or confuse you more.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing insulation in crawl-1340.jpg   Installing insulation in crawl-1388.jpg  

Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Okay apology for the stupid question but what is a ground barrier?

Laying plastic on the bare ground.

20 ft. x 100 ft. Black 8 mil Plastic Sheeting-CF0820B at The Home Depot

In VA, no one uses gravel as stated above. Also venting are left open due to air humidity and the air flow keeps the wood dry.

When it rained last week did you have any puddles that stayed around for a few hours? If no, then my link is correct. If yes, then go up to the more expensive one. Also get a couple rolls of duct tape and seal all the ductwork connections.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Laying plastic on the bare ground.

20 ft. x 100 ft. Black 8 mil Plastic Sheeting-CF0820B at The Home Depot

In VA, no one uses gravel as stated above. Also venting are left open due to air humidity and the air flow keeps the wood dry.

When it rained last week did you have any puddles that stayed around for a few hours? If no, then my link is correct. If yes, then go up to the more expensive one. Also get a couple rolls of duct tape and seal all the ductwork connections.
puddles where?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
This whole vapor barrier is kind of new, or at least to me. My house has it, and i'm in the desert? If you live in a wet area, and have moisture present under the house then you might consider it. Otherwise, if it's dry you're grandfathered under the code at the time your home was built.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
puddles where?

The yards. After it rains outside, does the water puddle up and stay or soak into the ground within a short time period.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
This whole vapor barrier is kind of new, or at least to me. My house has it, and i'm in the desert? If you live in a wet area, and have moisture present under the house then you might consider it. Otherwise, if it's dry you're grandfathered under the code at the time your home was built.
You don't need it in your part of the country. Your part is known as Pedocals. In your case it would be in the walls and not under the house in the crawl splace. NV usually uses slab foundations. No? The OPs area is known as Pedalfers in VA.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
I just used a graphic that I had. Not many people use gravel in my area either, but some do.

Regarding code, etc. You do realize that the building code is the MINIMUM STANDARD to build homes. If you want to settle for the minimum, then go for it.

If you live in VA, you need a vapor barrier.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
The yards. After it rains outside, does the water puddle up and stay or soak into the ground within a short time period.

Hard to tell I just moved in. I wouldn't say puddles because my parents house def had puddles and nothing close to that.

I do have a plastic liner down in the crawl space though already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House