Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,110,582 times

Advertisements

Well I love hardwood. But I also love our two little grandsons, and they like to wrestle and roll around a lot. So, we will stick with carpet and a good cushion underneath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,912,771 times
Hardwood for looks, carpet for comfort.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
I prefer hardwood throughout.

I wanted to comment on the people who said hardwood in the main living areas and carpeting in the bedrooms.

Carpeting shouldn't be in bedrooms of people who have allergies.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,273,211 times
We have carpeting in the family room and are on the third carpet in that room in 14 years. Family room is where we spend all of our time (right off the kitchen) and carpet seemed to be the easy thing to do with babies learning to crawl/walk...a little easier on the knees & more cushion.

We also have carpet on the stairs/2nd floor hallway & in all of the bedrooms (had that changed once and when we put the 3rd carpet in the family room - so about 4 years ago).

NOW? I can't wait to get rid of ALL of it and put hardwood in throughout the house. None of it held up and we didn't go cheap.

I do have hardwood in the kitchen/dining/foyer/back hall....has been refinished once, but we're going to ditch it all and get new.

I don't want hardwood in the kitchen or back hall (connects to kitchen, you walk in to this hallway from the garage - which is the way we go in and out of the house). I hate having it in the kitchen - you drop something, like a frying pan, it dents the floor. A kid pushes back from the table and ends up staring at the ceiling...chair dents the floor. If those chair slider things fall off a leg, it gets scratched. Tile will be going in the kitchen & back hall.

I love the look of hardwood in the kitchen, I just don't like the upkeep.

Also, our middle kid has reactive airway disease, so I really want all the carpet out.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-10-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 AM

18,483 posts, read 31,681,632 times
all thru up until the mid 90's everyone had carpeting. I hated it.

yuck!! to me, it is unsanitary, plain and simple.

So when I got my own place, that I fully own I had all new wood floors put in, as the ones that were there, were beyond repair, which was really a shame, as they would have been nice refinished.....

Lay a few scatter rugs oir area rugs and you have the bset of both worlds, when the rugs get dirty, or your sick of looking at them, chuck them.
I also always like to roll up the rugs for the summer, makes the house look more cooler.

so I am hardwood all the way, plus when you clean it, it really is clean, and as an allergy sufferer, that means a lot.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:11 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,521,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
We have carpeting in the family room and are on the third carpet in that room in 14 years. Family room is where we spend all of our time (right off the kitchen) and carpet seemed to be the easy thing to do with babies learning to crawl/walk...a little easier on the knees & more cushion.

We also have carpet on the stairs/2nd floor hallway & in all of the bedrooms (had that changed once and when we put the 3rd carpet in the family room - so about 4 years ago).

NOW? I can't wait to get rid of ALL of it and put hardwood in throughout the house. None of it held up and we didn't go cheap.

I do have hardwood in the kitchen/dining/foyer/back hall....has been refinished once, but we're going to ditch it all and get new.

I don't want hardwood in the kitchen or back hall (connects to kitchen, you walk in to this hallway from the garage - which is the way we go in and out of the house). I hate having it in the kitchen - you drop something, like a frying pan, it dents the floor. A kid pushes back from the table and ends up staring at the ceiling...chair dents the floor. If those chair slider things fall off a leg, it gets scratched. Tile will be going in the kitchen & back hall.

I love the look of hardwood in the kitchen, I just don't like the upkeep.

Also, our middle kid has reactive airway disease, so I really want all the carpet out.
You drop a big pan on many types of tile - it won't dent - it will crack. Also - grout can be a big PITA to keep clean (what will you do when you spill some red pasta sauce on it?). We have Forbo Marmoleum in our kitchen. It's not perfect (it will dent). But I think it's better than tile. Robyn

Old 08-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
all thru up until the mid 90's everyone had carpeting. I hated it.

yuck!! to me, it is unsanitary, plain and simple.

So when I got my own place, that I fully own I had all new wood floors put in, as the ones that were there, were beyond repair, which was really a shame, as they would have been nice refinished.....

Lay a few scatter rugs oir area rugs and you have the bset of both worlds, when the rugs get dirty, or your sick of looking at them, chuck them.
I also always like to roll up the rugs for the summer, makes the house look more cooler.

so I am hardwood all the way, plus when you clean it, it really is clean, and as an allergy sufferer, that means a lot.
Area/scatter rugs can be a trip and fall hazard - especially for older people.

Also - I guess you can buy rugs that are cheap enough to throw away when they get dirty. But what's the point of getting a nice hardwood floor and covering it up with cheap area rugs?

On my part - I think this is far from a "one size fits all" thing. We just redid most of our house with high end commercial carpet tiles. It's the look we wanted - kind of like an art gallery. Suits our needs too (I would hate sitting on hardwood or tile floors - especially if they hadn't been swept that day - I hate the feel of "grit". Might not suit anyone else though. Robyn

Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alankar View Post
I think you should prefer hardwood. The reason to pick it up, it matches with any wall color rather than going for carpet, where you need to pickup color according to your living wall.
I don't agree with that. There are many kinds of wood/wood finishes. Some lend themselves to contemporary interiors - some to traditional. IMO - there isn't "anything" that goes with "everything". Robyn

Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM

794 posts, read 1,672,297 times
My preference is hand scraped hardwood in study, bedrooms,family and living. I like marble or travertine in kitchen/baths/breakfast nook/dinning, laundry & foyer. I like carpet for toddler bedrooms, stairs and game room.

I guess preferences vary according to climate and life style.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,933,735 times
I like hard flooring. Right now we have marble in our main living areas. It is much easier to keep clean than carpeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House