Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,862,830 times

Advertisements

There is a large church in a small town that I frequently drive through on Sunday morning. They broadcast all the hymn singing on outside speakers during services and you can hear it for blocks around the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 PM

134 posts, read 239,591 times
Within a half mile of my house we have a contemporary non-denominational church, a United Church of Christ, a Lutheran Church (Not sure which Lutheran branch), and a JW Kingdom Hall. Traffic is a killer on Sunday mornings......

Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,398,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeksil View Post
I live in a small condo complex that kind of wraps around the church on the corner. I don't notice any noise issues with them, and I'm fairly sensitive to that sort of thing. This varies from church to church I'm sure though - these guys don't seem to have much bell-tolling or loudspeaker action. The only thing I notice is on Sundays when they overflow the church parking lot and line both sides of the street with vehicles, making it crowded and hard to see when you are pulling out into the street.
That's kinda what we've got going on here as well. I'm not bohered by any noise tat make but it does make an already crowded parking istuation much worse. The church here seems to have a pretty young congregation - I think I've seen a couple weeding there but not any funerals.

My aunt had a house close to a older Catholic church, it seemed like that had alot more comings and goings all the time there...

Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,546,616 times
Years ago I lived across the street from a small church and didn't have a problem. I did hear the bells on Sunday morning but that was only when the windows were open.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,677,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Between this and your original post the thing that stood out to me is YOUR DOGS ARE BARKERS. So you are concerned about disrupting the church goers, but what about your NEIGHBORS the other
6 & 3/4 days? I HATE barking dogs and see NO reason for dog owners to let their dogs bark. My husband and I have had many dogs in the past and one of the things our dogs were trained in was NOT to BARK. The command is: "No Bark". Once they are trained they will not bark even when you are not around. (And yes, our dogs were allowed to bark when it was playtime.) Contrary to popular belief dogs can be trained to not bark. So whenever I hear dogs barking at people, cars, or whatever I see it as a reflection on the dog OWNER. When I can walk past a dog and it DOESN'T bark I always think, COOL!!

I hope your high-pitched sound machine works for the sake of all your new neighbors.
OP you may not be religious but it might just be worth it to pray that you never have a neighbor such as the above quoted individual. Obviously you ARE concerned about the barking or you wouldn't be asking for information.

I wish you the best of luck at your new place and for everyone's sanity please bring your dogs inside when they brk or put them up somewhere. I've noticed my dogs tend not to bark when there is music involved so that might actually be a blessing for you if they broadcast outside.

I unknowingly moved a few blocks from a old, old church with an actual bell tower and all and the bells on Sunday are wonderful...its like going back in time :-)

Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 7,889 times
Default Church noise

You should be concerned. Never move next to a church. I did and that was a mistake. Divine Saviour Catholic Church, 90065 put up an amplified sound system that blasts into my home every day all day long. Hopefully your realtor or the seller's put in your contract that disclosure.

Good Luck.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,060,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
OP you may not be religious but it might just be worth it to pray that you never have a neighbor such as the above quoted individual. Obviously you ARE concerned about the barking or you wouldn't be asking for information.

I wish you the best of luck at your new place and for everyone's sanity please bring your dogs inside when they brk or put them up somewhere. I've noticed my dogs tend not to bark when there is music involved so that might actually be a blessing for you if they broadcast outside.

I unknowingly moved a few blocks from a old, old church with an actual bell tower and all and the bells on Sunday are wonderful...its like going back in time :-)
Thank you

We have been living there for almost 3 weeks now and no problems with the church. It is quiet and I've only ever seen 2 people when I looked out of my upstairs window (there is a big privacy fence). I only heard music once when I took my dogs out at like 11 AM, it was very faint & I could barely hear it.

The dogs love the new place so far & have been VERY quiet.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,829,068 times
I live down town and right across the parking lot is a church....The Ethiopian Orthodox Christian Church....real ancient rituals...When the priests sing it reminds me of four guys using auto tune - remarkable and complex melodies as old as time itself...Some times their services are held out side...The costumes are fantastic ...and they bang away on African drums...and you hear those shrill trilling cries out of the woman...It is like looking back 2000 years...From my roof top garden I see them arrive to worship...wonderful people...I know the priest and say hello to him on the street....It could be worse...You could be living next door to a Hell's Angels club house which would be very mysterious and quiet...I prefer the Christians..........................totally cool...and very entertaining to watch and listen too...it's culture...the more the better.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM

195 posts, read 336,168 times
We live at the end of the main road for our neighborhood, there's a large historic church at the * beginning * of the neighborhood and it is a pain. However, this wasn't a big deal until the road that runs parallel to us closed for construction.

That being said, I agree with those whom have said this should have been looked into prior to buying, but for my family the church isn't a deal breaker.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:16 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,328,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Be thankful it is not a mosque (you WON'T be Sleeping in ANY DAY)
Well, that's quite a generalization. I used to live very close to the Islamic Mosque and Cultural Center on Massachusetts Avenue in Washington, DC, and it wasn't any noisier than the National Cathedral up the street. And they are both exquisitely beautiful buildings with lovely grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House