Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,851 times

Advertisements

I am having a new home built...its almost done, but there are two cracks in the garage floor, which have been sealed, however it is apparent that the garage slab has sunk on both outside sides of the cracks, leaving the garage floor somewhat un-level, so much so that you can easily see where the slab has sunk almost 1.5 inches below the original pour line, increasing as you go from the center of the garage to the outside walls. Even the stairs that enter the house from the garage are slanted because they are sitting on the un-level floor. In the middle where there are two large steel beams holding the support beam, it seems to be level, but on the sides it has sunk. I never noticed any of this until the garage was cleaned out.
I am concerned that if the garage slab sinks in the middle, where the vertical steel beams are, the second floor above the garage will be compromised.
I am wondering if there is a footing under these steel beams and that it is why they did not sink when the outside sections of the slab did?
Not surprisingly, builder says this is normal and will not fix. Is this settlement of an inch or so normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshotmusic View Post
Not surprisingly, builder says this is normal and will not fix.
Cracks and settling so soon isn't normal. Five years down the line it shouldn't be showing
Don't give him an inch.

The bigger concern is how the pours were done.
Is the perimeter load bearing foundation separate from the parking surface.

Do you have an inspector working with you?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM

427 posts, read 947,588 times
Quote:
I am having a new home built...its almost done, but there are two cracks in the garage floor, which have been sealed, however it is apparent that the garage slab has sunk on both outside sides of the cracks, leaving the garage floor somewhat un-level, so much so that you can easily see where the slab has sunk almost 1.5 inches below the original pour line, increasing as you go from the center of the garage to the outside walls. Even the stairs that enter the house from the garage are slanted because they are sitting on the un-level floor. In the middle where there are two large steel beams holding the support beam, it seems to be level, but on the sides it has sunk. I never noticed any of this until the garage was cleaned out.
I am concerned that if the garage slab sinks in the middle, where the vertical steel beams are, the second floor above the garage will be compromised.
I am wondering if there is a footing under these steel beams and that it is why they did not sink when the outside sections of the slab did?
Not surprisingly, builder says this is normal and will not fix. Is this settlement of an inch or so normal?
I will be glad to give you my thoughts, but I need more information. But no, I don't believe ths is even close to normal.

First, what are you talking about when you talk about steel beams holding a support beam? When you say vertical steel beams you must be talking about columns.

Second, what is the support beam actually supporting? Is there a room above the garage?

Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
...builder says this is normal and will not fix. Is this settlement of an inch or so normal?
Straight to the point- He's a lying sack of S#!T.
So, the question is: what recourse do you have?- what is the cancellation terms of the contracts?

There's no way in Hell I'd even attempt to sell a house to anyone if I found that type of problem.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Just get an inspection done or call in a structural engineer, settling cracks are ok and can happen that early but should never separate or sink

Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
I second about the builder being a "sack of...."
Get an engineer, or walk away.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I second about the builder being a "sack of...."
Get an engineer, or walk away.
I agree. Get a structual engineer in there ASAP.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Cracks in concrete are normal. All concrete cracks. However that much settling that soon is not normal. It is potentially a very serious problem. You might expect an inch of settlement in 50 - 75 years. What makes you think it is done settling? There is likely a foundation/soils problem. something cheap like mud jacking is probably only a temporary fix. In all likelihood you will either need to remove the slab or possible cut holes in it and drill caissons down to bedrock.

I hope this guy did not build your house too. This could be a small matter or it could be as big as having to jack up your house or even tear it down and rebuild it.

Also do not use a structural engineer provided or recommended by the builder. Get someone who works for you and has no connection to the builder. A good contractor may be able to give you some advice, probably without charging you, but that may not be enough. You should probably find out who was the civil engineer and geotech for your lot. You could start by asking them, but do not stop there. If they say it is OK get a second opinion. If they agree there is a problem, you know there is a problem, but if they suggest a cheap fix, get a second opinion.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:14 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Structural engineer hired by you. It will be money well sent to get out of that contract.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:23 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Run, and run fast. That's a LOT of settling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House