Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 AM

584 posts, read 2,150,133 times

Advertisements

The door in my garage, leading to the house, lets in a lot of hot outside air in that part of the house. I am wondering what things I can do to it to close it off better. I'm guessing some sort of weather stripping? But what specifically can I do. And side note, how much hot outside air does a dryer machine let in constantly? I'm guessing that probably lets in air when the dryer isnt running pushing the air out. These are both in the same area of the house and it is just too hot in these areas. I'm trying to figure out easy cheap ways to keep the air conditioner costs down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Unless you really have something installed incorrectly, a dryer vent won't let in enough hot air to make a difference. For one thing, it can't really get a flow going because it runs into the dryer and not the room (if you've shut the dryer door). If you run the dryer, even with the vent it will heat up the room it is in.

And you should have a good seal between your garage and your house regardless of air conditioning issues. Car exhaust isn't nice. If there isn't insulation between the garage and the house, heat in the garage will go through that wall, not just the door.

Still, lots of other things can cause a hot room. Are the too hot parts of the house at the end of the ducts for the AC or something? Or maybe a leak in those ducts? Or are there big windows letting in too much sun.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Sounds like you have a typical interior door for your garage entry door- Not good!

No weatherstripping, undoubtedly not insulated either. The whole unit needs to be changed out for a insulated, weatherstripped exterior type door unit- and one that also has a FIRE RATING! Generally a steel entry door will provide that.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
The door in my garage, leading to the house, lets in a lot of hot outside air in that part of the house. I am wondering what things I can do to it to close it off better. I'm guessing some sort of weather stripping? But what specifically can I do. And side note, how much hot outside air does a dryer machine let in constantly? I'm guessing that probably lets in air when the dryer isnt running pushing the air out. These are both in the same area of the house and it is just too hot in these areas. I'm trying to figure out easy cheap ways to keep the air conditioner costs down.

Ceiling fans.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Can you install a functional cupola? Of course you would also need someplace for the entering air to come from. Just an idea.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Just buy a door weather-seal kit at Lowe's or Home Depot, and have someone install it for you. On door frames that are made of wood, I prefer the weather sealing kits that have wood frames instead of the aluminum ones, with seals that are around 1/2" wide. Also, you may have to use a door sweep if there is a gap at the bottom of the door (by the threshold), in addition to the new seals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House