Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:56 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times

Advertisements

I want to put a side entrance door in to my garage (not the huge main door but one off the side). I am having a hard time finding someone to do this, they all keep thinking that I mean the main door.

Nothing fancy, just a standard door that I can install a doogie door.

Also, if you know a random price too, that would be great. I have no idea what I'm working with here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,017 times
Alternative: Why not just install a doggie door in your garage door? Doggie doors simply require an opening, then clamp into the opening with some screws. You could possibly do it yourself or hire a handyman. However, you might have to replace the garage door if the next owner doesn't have pets and/or doesn't want to look at a doggie door. But it'd most certainly be the least expensive option.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
You want a "3680 entrance door cut into your garage wall where there is no door."
Don't say "garage door." That is all they will hear.

Unless you pick an expensive door, I would expect you would pay $650-$800 for the job to be done by a professional.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Alternative: Why not just install a doggie door in your garage door? Doggie doors simply require an opening, then clamp into the opening with some screws. You could possibly do it yourself or hire a handyman. However, you might have to replace the garage door if the next owner doesn't have pets and/or doesn't want to look at a doggie door. But it'd most certainly be the least expensive option.

Hmmm..thats actually not a bad idea...I have my garage door halfway up right now and it just looks so tacky. I figured with the side door, the dogs wont be seen as much. But cost wise, that might not be a bad idea!

thanks!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You want a "3680 entrance door cut into your garage wall where there is no door."
Don't say "garage door." That is all they will hear.

Unless you pick an expensive door, I would expect you would pay $650-$800 for the job to be done by a professional.

Geez...really? I think I might go with the above poster and put a doggie door into my existing garage door. I know its about $500 to have that replaced. Might be cheaper.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
If your dog isnt too big you can just install a doggie door in the wall. If you need a door installed, you will have to use a fire rated door. These are costly, and will need to be replaced again when you sell as you cannot breach a fire rated door. The inspector will ding you on it and you will be buying another one.
Personally I would install it in the wall. If you have a big dog just header off the studs to cut a wider opening. That would need to be done for a pedestrian garage door anyway. A permit is required to header studs no matter where you do it. If you need further questions answered I will be more than happy to help, just shoot me a PM. I am an inspector, and my father is a licensed GC. We do not do the work as we are too busy with our inspection biz, but we can definitely shed some light on the situation. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM

ps overhead doors for a garage are very expensive(cheap ones are 7-800 bucks then you have the install to pay for). I wouldnt install it there unless you plan on living in that house forever.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
If your dog isnt too big you can just install a doggie door in the wall. If you need a door installed, you will have to use a fire rated door. These are costly, and will need to be replaced again when you sell as you cannot breach a fire rated door. The inspector will ding you on it and you will be buying another one.
Personally I would install it in the wall. If you have a big dog just header off the studs to cut a wider opening. That would need to be done for a pedestrian garage door anyway. A permit is required to header studs no matter where you do it. If you need further questions answered I will be more than happy to help, just shoot me a PM. I am an inspector, and my father is a licensed GC. We do not do the work as we are too busy with our inspection biz, but we can definitely shed some light on the situation. Good luck!
Wow, I'm so glad I asked!!!
I have three big dogs, one is a mastiff.
I was thinking about installing a hole in the wall, but it would look kind of tacky plus not sure what I would do if I had to sell the house. Ugh. Never thought about the fire rated door, thanks for pointing that out!

I think I will just put the doggie door in the main garage door and replace it if we sell it. Its a bit banged up anyway from being slammed down on a weight, lol.

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM

My pleasure! Yeah I guess you would be making a pretty big hole in the wall for a Mastiff lol.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
If you need a door installed, you will have to use a fire rated door. These are costly, and will need to be replaced again when you sell as you cannot breach a fire rated door. The inspector will ding you on it and you will be buying another one.
Can somebody explain what it means to "breach" a fire rated door? I am not understanding why you would need to replace it when you sell. How and why is this door different from say your front door?

Thanks!

~ NRG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House