Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Have a bottom freezer/fridge combo (LG)....got up today and everything in the freezer is melt-y....not sure if they door got left open last night or what. We do have a door alarm but there's a spot where the freezer is closed enough to keep the alarm from going off, but not closed enough to really be closed.

The fridge is working fine. The freezer light is also off but I think it's frozen in place - can't really get my hand up there.

Anyway - to the question - is it possible for the fridge to be A-OK but the freezer to be ka-put?

I'm not sure how old this appliance is - we've been here 3 years - I'm going to say it's 5-6 years old.

ETA - ice maker light goes on (internal, in the freezer) when I turned it on.

Had it set at -2*, just moved it up to zero.

Thanks.

Last edited by twingles; 07-10-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
...to the question - is it possible for the fridge to be A-OK but the freezer to be ka-put?
No.
There's only one compressor-

Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Yes, that IS possible!

We had a fridge that did the same... fridge area temp was spot on, and the freezer would not freeze.
We got a new one.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, that IS possible!

We had a fridge that did the same... fridge area temp was spot on, and the freezer would not freeze.
We got a new one.

WEll, this is a one-shot deal....usually works fine...hopefully it can be repaired.

Thanks, both of you.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
WEll, this is a one-shot deal....usually works fine...hopefully it can be repaired.
LOL!
Mine 'usually worked fine' too, until the morning when it didn't!

Hope yours can be repaired; mine couldn't.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Apparently some of the high end LG units do have twin compressors / evaporators as this piece about competitor Samsung points out... Samsung Refrigerator ReviewsWhat is the Samsung Twin Cooling Plus System? - Samsung Refrigerator Reviews

Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, that IS possible!
No; it not.
As the OP stated- "One working, one ka-put." Considering the age of the fridge there is a very high probability that there is only one compressor. The compressor could be working but the system is low on refridgerant- cooling the refridgerator to normal temp, but not reaching freezing temps in the freezer.

The only other "possibilty" is what chet brought up- but those are very high-end units and have only been around a few years(Samsung).

Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
No; it not.
As the OP stated- "One working, one ka-put." Considering the age of the fridge there is a very high probability that there is only one compressor. The compressor could be working but the system is low on refridgerant- cooling the refridgerator to normal temp, but not reaching freezing temps in the freezer.

The only other "possibilty" is what chet brought up- but those are very high-end units and have only been around a few years(Samsung).
Well, we have a Samsung frig with freezer on bottom and it has TWO compressors and it is NOT "very high-end", it's not even high-end. It cost under $1,000 which to me isn't high-end. One reason we chose it is because it has TWO compressors. Also, we purchased it in April 2007. We've not had any problems, so far.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
FWIW, when the refrigerant is low, the first thing that you notice is affected is often the freezer section. It depends upon the design of the unit. Our Maytag bottom freezer failed that way.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Well, we have a Samsung frig with freezer on bottom and it has TWO compressors and it is NOT "very high-end", it's not even high-end. It cost under $1,000 which to me isn't high-end. One reason we chose it is because it has TWO compressors. Also, we purchased it in April 2007. We've not had any problems, so far.

Are you sure you're not mistaking dual (2)compressor with their patented "Twin Cooling System"? It's ONE compressor that runs TWO EVAPORATORS. The "selling" feature is there is no cross-contamination of air from the fridge to the freezer or vis-versa. And their price point is in-line with other large capacity units.
As far as the operation, it's the same as I previously mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House