Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:40 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Especially not through the GFCI next to the panel in the basement.

If it was my house, I'd put the bedroom receptacles on a breaker and rewire the panel GFCI to be on it's own.
Could it be this was done because adding a GFCI in the bathroom ran into a problem with the existing box being "crowded" ? So someone cut into the cable for that circuit at the panel, and added a inline GFCI there, rather than going to a GFCI breaker ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,487 times
This happened to me recently where I moved into a house and several of the outlets dont work. Like in one room they completely dont work, adn other rooms only some work

Old 02-14-2017, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
I am having this same problem. I flipped every breaker switch in the panel and hit test and reset on every gfci I could find. What seems odd though is 2 of the gfci outlets I found the "reset" buttons did not pop out as far as the others when I hit "test". However, both of those outlets worked. Could that be an issue for my 2 non gfi outlets?

Old 07-30-2017, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,144 times
I had similar issue. Turns out it was Gfi issue in bathroom which knocked out power for multiple outlets.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
Default Outlets in bathroom and outside stopped working - fix

All of a sudden, all of my bathroom outlets stopped working. Then i went to plug in Christmas lights in our outdoor outlet that stopped working as well. I reset all of our breakers and even the main breaker. No luck (all 3 times I tried this )This was driving me crazy. I checked all outlets in the house but none had GFI. Finally, it dawned on me to check garage outlets. 1 outlet had GFI that had tripped. I reset it and now all outlets inside and outside work fine. Found out that sometimes, an outlet with GFI in them is installed. Once one is tripped, other outlets near areas that could get damp or wet (like bathrooms, laundry rooms, outdoor outlets) may trip and no longer work. reset that one GFI outlet, and all will be working again!

Old 12-27-2017, 02:02 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline65 View Post
All of a sudden, all of my bathroom outlets stopped working. Then i went to plug in Christmas lights in our outdoor outlet that stopped working as well. I reset all of our breakers and even the main breaker. No luck (all 3 times I tried this )This was driving me crazy. I checked all outlets in the house but none had GFI. Finally, it dawned on me to check garage outlets. 1 outlet had GFI that had tripped. I reset it and now all outlets inside and outside work fine. Found out that sometimes, an outlet with GFI in them is installed. Once one is tripped, other outlets near areas that could get damp or wet (like bathrooms, laundry rooms, outdoor outlets) may trip and no longer work. reset that one GFI outlet, and all will be working again!
Actually what it appears is that you had one GFI outlet at the beginning of a circuit that had other outlets daisy chained off of it. When the GFCI tripped, it killed power to every outlet in that circuit. So essentially you had power going into the GFCI outlet, but nothing coming out so any outlet in that circuit was affected.

My dining room and one guest bedroom outer walls are tied into the GFCI outlets on the front porch. If one trips, those walls also lose power. Same in my master bath. The outlet next to the sink is in the same circuit with the overhead hallway and shower light. If it trips, you lose power to that entire side of the bathroom.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:23 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Angry Common for all the bathroom outlets in a 1976-1986 house to be daisy-chained off one GFCI outlet in guest bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Actually what it appears is that you had one GFI outlet at the beginning of a circuit that had other outlets daisy chained off of it. When the GFCI tripped, it killed power to every outlet in that circuit. So essentially you had power going into the GFCI outlet, but nothing coming out so any outlet in that circuit was affected.
Blame it on cost-conscious builders, when GFCI in "wet areas" was newly mandated by code (Circa 1975) and also very expensive, it was cheaper to run extra cable than to install numerous GFCI outlets/breakers.

It's fun when all the bathroom outlets suddenly go dead and you have to track down that one GFCI that was installed in the unused guest bath and is now old and subject to nuisance trips.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,699 times
Question......I have the same problem with a master bedroom. All plugs and the light switch do not work. They just stopped out of the blue. I have checked of recommendation posted and still no power in the room. Could it be that the circuit breaker for the room is bad?

Calconnb

Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
You could call your electric utility company. This happened to a few houses here lately. Everybody thought they were the only house. See how your neighbor's house is doing. The electric company thought it could be the transformer. BUT,no it was caused by a nik in the underground electric line ever so slight that was caused by the auger from the gas company and it took a few years and lots of rain for the results to reveal themselves. They come out as an emergency. They take care of notifying all the other utilities. All fixed all free.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calconnb View Post
Question......I have the same problem with a master bedroom. All plugs and the light switch do not work. They just stopped out of the blue. I have checked of recommendation posted and still no power in the room. Could it be that the circuit breaker for the room is bad?

Calconnb

Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House