Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:18 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,941,397 times

Advertisements

What is inexpensive to you?

I mean if you don't mind paying more to convert to electric, what's the point of trying a work around such as trying to change the heating element?

The correct way would be.

1. Verify you have sufficient electrical amperage
2. Run new 240v from panel to furnace area
3. Buy new electric burner.

Hook it all up. I would suggest that you get licensed electric and HVAC person to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,198,631 times
My reply noted the modularity of my system - literally there is a rectangular-box middle section of the entire N-foot tall downstairs air handler that is the "gas heat" part - that contains ALL the heating apparatus. Below that is the blower box (which, pretty much, is ONLY a motor/blower, some minimal wiring, and a switch). Above the heating section is the cooling section which contains ONLY the cooling part of the air handler.

Of course, the heating section is sealed away from the house - gas fire heat is passed through a sealed heat exchanger and vented through the roof.

But, in any case, it looks to this naive viewer that the middle module is replaceable as a unit.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:25 AM

10 posts, read 318,433 times
We recently had our gas water heater replaced with electric and running the electric from the breaker box to the water heater ran about $120. We had, and still have, empty slots available on the breaker box. Could you explain about the electric burner? Is that installed in place of the pilot, etc. on the furnace?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 892399999 View Post
We recently had our gas water heater replaced with electric and running the electric from the breaker box to the water heater ran about $120. We had, and still have, empty slots available on the breaker box. Could you explain about the electric burner? Is that installed in place of the pilot, etc. on the furnace?
This is a standard non-ac electric burner

Goodman 2000 CFM Electric Furnace :: Electric Furnaces :: AC4Life

When you start switching to electric only to run most of your household use, you need to consider if you have enough AMP. Do you have 200AMP coming in?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM

Not sure of the AMPs. Would have to get that checked out by an electrician first.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Not sure of the AMPs. Would have to get that checked out by an electrician first.

You will also need to consult with a HVAC person to make sure you get the correct burner size. The link I provided is just the unit, you need to configure the correct burner for your house size. Those burner will also determine your required AMP. It could be 40,50,60 (depending on the size of burner).

So if you have 100AMP service and you already have electric water heater. If you had electric stove, that's another 40AMP. 100AMP service will not work for the converstion.

This is where everything starts to add up in terms of cost. The big items (things you really see) are not the expensive part. The labor and smaller details items is what drive the cost up.

If you decide that electric heat is important, you would just do it and worry less about a cheap way to do it. You want it done correctly.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,834,320 times
Quote:
HWTechGuy, could you explain again what you meant about having 2 heat pumps but no gas service?
I have a large L-shaped house, over 3100 square feet. The house is divided into two zones (basically, each part of the "L") which are each served by one of the two air handlers in the attic, and one of the two compressor units outside. Each side of the house has its own thermostat, so the systems run independent of each other.

As others have said, you are looking at replacing equipment. Since heat pumps handle air conditioning duties, your best bet is probably to install a high efficiency heat pump system that will replace both your existing air conditioning unit and your gas furnace. Everyone else has covered the rest - why it will be expensive, and the importance that it be done correctly.

As far as the without gas service part, as I explained in my other post - heat pumps have supplemental electric coils that will be used if the compressor cannot satisfy the heat demand due to either a) malfunction, or b) extemely cold temperatures. Even though I am in Florida where need for heat is minimal, my system does have the supplemental electric coils, just like my heat pumps at my old house in Pennsylvania. So if the compressor(s) failed in the middle of January when I do need heat (because it gets down in the 50's), the electric coils will do the job.

Best of luck.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM

Okay, so last question here & please weigh in if you can. It looks like the least expensive option is to install an electric furnace. Would I have the existing unit (which includes A/C and gas heat) removed and replaced with the electric furnace? OR, does the electric furnace sit alongside the current unit? Does anyone know the cost for installing an electric furnace (disregarding any electrical issues right now). Sorry if these questions sound ignorant--I know nothing about HVAC systems, etc.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Okay, so last question here & please weigh in if you can. It looks like the least expensive option is to install an electric furnace. Would I have the existing unit (which includes A/C and gas heat) removed and replaced with the electric furnace? OR, does the electric furnace sit alongside the current unit? Does anyone know the cost for installing an electric furnace (disregarding any electrical issues right now). Sorry if these questions sound ignorant--I know nothing about HVAC systems, etc.
Call a few local HVAC company and get an estimate on what you want to do. They will give you the best answer.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM

sj08054,
Yes, I will do that but I wanted to know exactly what I plan on doing before that (and perhaps understand a bit of what I'm talking about, too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House