Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:49 PM

7 posts, read 72,214 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to understand the whole price list for getting a modular home built. I know you have to buy the land. That right there can be a bit expensive because I live in NJ. But other than that does anyone know a breakdown of how much the sewer, electric, etc. is to get all put in and hooked up? Also what does it typically cost for a contractor to build the house? I know the house itself is about 90% put together in the factory, but on all the webisites it says you need to get your own contractor. Also by looking at those websites it doesnt really tell you how much the house costs in general for the floor plan you would want. I found 1 website out of probably 15 that actaully will give you the base price of the house. I'm might not be saying all this right but I'm just looking for a few tips to help me get started with this.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Other than the obvious- Land. which you pointed out- the list grows.
Manufacturers of modular homes are just that; manufacturers. Thats why you need a contractor- one who specializes in modular homes. Other than electric, you need water, sewage and/or septic system, natural gas, and you'll need a foundation for that house to sit on.
Then there's a garage (most mod's I've seen don't have), driveway, sidewalks, patios/decks, and landscaping.
There's the survey, for where the house is going to be, building permit(s) to make the county/municipality happy.
Oh, did I mention the crane that will be needed to put the house on the foundation!? I'm sure there's more- that just what I could come up with quickly.
The advantage you gain in modular homes is they are built under controlled conditions; material usage, climate, and scrutiny. On-site time is reduced significantly. But there is alot of things that have to be done on-site. Hence, the contractor.
I know that mod's are alot more popular in the N.E. than in other parts of the country- case-in-point: Several years ago here in the Atlanta area someone had bought property in a subdivision/development, got the foundation in, was ready for the house. The house went in in a day. Nice looking house- fit in with the rest of the homes.The house was finished in a few weeks and the owners moved in. All sound good, right? WRONG!
Within a month or two of living in their brand new home- their neighbors filed a suit against them because their home was not "stick built", and where afraid the values of their own homes would be affected. Their answer to the problem- tear it down and stick build it.
The ignorance of people about homes is not what it was 20yrs ago- but this was so far beyond belief. If anything, that home was at least 50% superior to those other homes that were "stick built". And they were concerned about their values.
Good Luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Find a Modular Home "Dealer" - this is a general contractor/builder company that deals exclusively with modular homes. They will know about getting utilities, pouring a foundation (you might as well put it on a basement if you're in a place where a basement can physically be done). We looked at a place in Michigan (LaClair Builders), and they were very knowledgeable and dealt with many different companies of modular homes.

Good Luck!!

Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
I really like K'ledgBldr's answer. Also consider that manufactured housing is not subject to the same building codes as a stick built home. There are looser standards for the construction of your home, and the 2006 IRC code does not apply until delivery. If you build a stick-built home, that code applies immediately, from turning in your plans for permitting. It would be in your best interest to consider a traditonally built home. Whatever you do, keep doing your homework and asking questions.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 16,089 times
Default Perhaps Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Also consider that manufactured housing is not subject to the same building codes as a stick built home. There are looser standards for the construction of your home.
The manufactured housing is subject to the same building codes as a "stick" or site built home. The only time that this may not be true is if the local state/county/city codes go above and beyond that of the federal codes. A modular home is built just as strong and sturdy, as a traditional site built home. MOD homes are built in my opinion equal, if not, stronger than site built homes. A site built home does not have to be able to sit on a steel hauled around the world, and doesn't have the strength to be picked up as a MOD does. Many people still see the manufactured homes of today as the "trailers" of 1960. Those days are long gone. Perhaps poconoproud is refering to HUD homes, in which case the home does not adhear to IRC codes. MOD and HUD homes are two differnt things. A little research will help you to be informed of the differences.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
It is a misconception that standards are less for a factory built home. In some cases the requirements are actually higher, since the building is built to be trucked to the building site. Trucking a home to a building site is probably more stress than a moderate earthquake would impose on a house.

The reason it is so important to find a contractor that has experience with modular homes is you want the foundation to actually fit the home, not just be "close enough". Then there is the matter of getting the building sections onto the foundation, AND putting them together. Some modular homes may have more than two sections.

In a past life I coordinated the installation of 160 modular buildings (in CA). Some had to be lifted by a crane and put in place because of neighboring buildings. I also had many many meetings with the on-site inspector from the Office of the State Architect. By no means are they sub standard because they were built inside a factory.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:09 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
We should all be required to own cars that are built from kits at home.

That statement makes about as much sense as the current whinging against modulars and manufactured homes. The world is different now. My home uses 30% less electricity and heating than those of my neighbors, and it is larger.

Caveat - you HAVE to do your homework and find a reputable manufacturer.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
We put up a modular 4 years ago and did not have a contractor.
We applied for permits.
We hired an excavator to clear lot and build foundation, install sewer lines and water lines and put down a solid rock pad for the crane.
Hiring of crane was arranged by dealer.
house was delivered....hired an electrician and plumber to do the hook-ups.
Hubbie built decks on front and back.
Excavator came back to level the property and pour concrete for floor in basement and dig holes and make piers for deck.
Had top soil delivered and seeded a lawn....trimmed driveway with boulders from the property.
We had our garage in the basement, so hubbie sheetrocked the garage to code with fireproof sheetrock and installed a fireproof door. We insulated the basement ceiling ourselves.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,071 times
We have done several Custom modulars, yes they can be custom designed. They MUST meet code out of the factory for the jurisdiction they are to be placed. IE if your city uses the 2006 IRC, the home must be constructed to meet that code minimum in the factory. Like someone else said, they usually will go above and beyond the base code to ensure safe travel to the site. The sections are bolted together very well, and you cannot tell very easily the difference between your typical stick built home and the modular. There is a max size each module can be in order to fit on trucks to be shipped. If I remember correctly ( it has been a year since our last custom modular) the size is 16' x 60' max. and each one gets bolted together to form the final shape (which can be anything you desire.) You need a foundation placed, your garage must be built on site, an any porches, patios and decks must be built on site after placement. When we are designing one of these, we must work very closely with the manufacture, and they help make sure the design is able to be constructed to fit on the trucks. most of our homes are high end stick built customs.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:46 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Earlier this year I was hired to inspect a 4 unit 2 story apartment building. It was only after getting into it a bit that I found it was a modular building.

I have been in many homes that the owners didn't even know were modular. There are many tell-tale signs that are obvious once you see them, but for the most part you can't tell the difference between factory built and site built homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House