Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,154 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm not a handyman but I'm trying to help my grandma to replace her kitchen faucet. It looks like it's mounted to the wall, but its stuck. I've tried hard turning anti-clockwise, but it wouldn't budge (fearing that it'd get snapped). Could anyone throw in some tips, please?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,948,883 times
You will need at least a pipe wrench to hold the wall piece in place.

Before you do, what is you plan for replacement? That's not a typical faucet.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:24 AM

4,628 posts, read 12,317,093 times
That's an interesting faucet? I'm curious what will be used to replace it too!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,507,887 times
I suggest spraying this first.

Then let it sit for a bit and get a good pair of vise grips or locking wrench to hold the stationary pipe. then wrench off the faucet. I don't think I have ever seen a faucet like that unless it is just a cold water one?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:37 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,615,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayzman View Post
I've tried hard turning anti-clockwise
Are you British or from one of the less rebellious former colonies? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but plumbing set-ups maybe different. I ask because that fixture doesn't look like anything I've seen and because of your use "anti-clockwise".

Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
You will need at least a pipe wrench to hold the wall piece in place.

Before you do, what is you plan for replacement? That's not a typical faucet.
With this:

Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 AM

14,265 posts, read 14,800,850 times
My last few homes were new and I had no problems working on the plumbing. On the other hand, if a home is old then expect breakage, leaking, and running back and forth to a hardware store. Those pics are of an old house. Call a plumber in.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,507,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My last few homes were new and I had no problems working on the plumbing. On the other hand, if a home is old then expect breakage, leaking, and running back and forth to a hardware store. Those pics are of an old house. Call a plumber in.
Depends on who did the work and how old as well. Our home was built in 1996 and when I went to replace the kitchen faucet it was a PITA. The faucet was white and had chips in it so we went with a satin finish, but the plumber who did it originally had just soldered the pipe fittings to the sink fittings and one of the shutoffs was shot. So I had a friend come cut and put on new shutoffs before adding the replacement faucet.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,683,131 times
The biggest thing I would be concerned about is whether there is a shutoff valve inside the wall or in the basement under the kitchen. It would be a real pain to turn off the water to the whole house, but the location of the shutoff isn't obvious from the pictures.

I like the replacement design.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,203,410 times
Two wrenches-
A pipe wrench to hold the galvanized that's coming out of the wall and one for the faucet itself.

Since you are replacing the existing faucet I wouldn't worry about scarring the finish. However, use some type of protection when installing the new one so the chrome doesn't get marred. The faucet should come off relatively easy. A close inspection of the pic clearly shows Teflon tape was applied to the existing faucet.

Just remember to shut off the water, and relieve the pressure BEFORE trying to remove. It would probably help to remove the goose neck first. It is definitely a righthand thread faucet- so "counter clockwise" to remove.

For everyone else- BSD faucets are manufactured in China and are use most exclusively in Southeast Asia/Western Pacific Rim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House