Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 02:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times

Advertisements

I think I'd actually take Dogs Playing Poker over a dream-catcher I could probably make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 04:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
[/url]

I can get anyone who wants it one of these.
Lol. Too late. Someone gave us a set signed by the artist. We don't display them. Though if some of the people on this thread came for a visit I'd find room.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lol. Too late. Someone gave us a set signed by the artist. We don't display them. Though if some of the people on this thread came for a visit I'd find room.
Why don't you display them? Is it because you don't care for them in your house? When you imagine that print hanging in your own house, does the thought of it make you cringe...just a little?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
I think the issue here isn't when people like or dislike certain things in their own home. It's when they employ words like "cringe-worthy", "classless" and "no taste" to imply that while *some* people find certain things acceptable, those with "taste", "class" and the like, certainly don't. As if classy, tasteful people spend hours and days online arguing over class and taste with complete strangers in an effort to prove they have it and those others, with their tacky stuff, don't. I'd like to think "class" is more about how you behave toward others instead of whether or not you have a china cabinet overflowing with Hummels or a Thomas Kinkaid picture hanging in your living room in a place of honor..

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think the issue here isn't when people like or dislike certain things in their own home. It's when they employ words like "cringe-worthy", "classless" and "no taste" to imply that while *some* people find certain things acceptable, those with "taste", "class" and the like, certainly don't. As if classy, tasteful people spend hours and days online arguing over class and taste with complete strangers in an effort to prove they have it and those others, with their tacky stuff, don't. I'd like to think "class" is more about how you behave toward others instead of whether or not you have a china cabinet overflowing with Hummels or a Thomas Kinkaid picture hanging in your living room in a place of honor..
Oh. Well, I don't recall using any of those phrases, so I guess I'm off the hook.

And if you're ever unlucky enough to find yourself housebound with your leg in a gigantic orthopedic boot with air pumps on it, and strict orders from your doctor not to put any weight on it for six weeks, and you've already watched all of The Tudors, and Breaking Bad, and Midsomer Murders, and How I Met Your Mother, and Friends, and every documentary on health foods and Afghanistan that you can find (not together, separately - not sure how into health foods Afghans are or even could be these days), then you may understand why some people get online and discuss and debate decor, and current events, and the oil and gas industry in Texas, and fashion, and genealogy with strangers.

Even really classy people like me - who have a life size John Wayne cutout in their den, and a sign that says VINO in their kitchen...and fake greenery on top of their entertainment center.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-13-2014 at 05:19 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 06:59 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
'Made in China' "Americana" reminded me - my husband went to a conference to Vietnam once, right before the holidays. He said the gift shops were all full with those most god-awful tacky Christmas stuff including, most prominently, plastic and ceramic Santas everywhere, except it must've been the Vietnamese perception of Santa because they were bright-yellow-blond, freakishly blue-eyed, and young! They really tried to make Santa look American, LOL. Hubby said they gave him nightmares for days

Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
'Made in China' "Americana" reminded me - my husband went to a conference to Vietnam once, right before the holidays. He said the gift shops were all full with those most god-awful tacky Christmas stuff including, most prominently, plastic and ceramic Santas everywhere, except it must've been the Vietnamese perception of Santa because they were bright-yellow-blond, freakishly blue-eyed, and young! They really tried to make Santa look American, LOL. Hubby said they gave him nightmares for days
Speaking of missing the cultural mark, I remember clearly eating in a Chinese restaurant in Panama City, FL once, in June. It was owned and operated by an Asian family (I have no idea where they were from originally, but I do know that English was NOT their first language!).

I kept thinking, "Something's bothering me...what is it?" Suddenly it dawned on me. They were playing Christmas music.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why don't you display them? Is it because you don't care for them in your house? When you imagine that print hanging in your own house, does the thought of it make you cringe...just a little?
We switch out what we put on the walls. They've been displayed but aren't currently on the wall. No retching, sniffing, cringing, hating or embarrassment occurred the day they were hung. They were given to us by a poker buddy of my husband's as a "top this - nudge, nudge" gift. They went through Vietnam together. Having those prints means they both made it home.

We named the dogs, BTW. You can't fully enjoy kitsch (as I said, I'm a connoisseur) until you've named the dog holding the inside straight.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-13-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,700,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I got flamed very badly for saying this on a real estate forum thread, but -

When I was house hunting I sometimes saw homes with living rooms containing a gigantic new TV but inexpensive, worn furniture - all gathered around the tv. And no books anywhere in the house.

I said that was "sad" and was jumped on from every direction.

But it is sad, and it does makes me cringe.
Equally sad is when people decorate with books, with no intention of ever reading the books. Not just those books, but ANY book. One person I know had books for decoration that were purchased new many years ago. It was a books-by-the-yard type of deal. They were never opened. Never. When I opened them, I actually had to crack it open! The friend moved and gave me the books. Now I have real fancy looking books that I have always wanted to read, and they will be read!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,700,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You have a point, true, but really, nothing says tacky like some of the things mentioned here on this thread. Thomas Kincaide is really not the worst.
The wall paper I saw of famous paintings done with dogs, now THAT was tacky. No, I am not making that up, either. But, I kept my mouth shut....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House