Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 221,437 times

Advertisements

We have a 1+ yr old Sterling toilet Which worked fine until about a week ago. Now, nine times out of ten, it won't automatically refill after being flushed unless you take the (very) heavy cover off the water tank and manually lightly tap the black tab which is part of the black & red plastic assembly on top of the refill valve. The toilet works fine otherwise.

My 86 yr. old blind & disabled husband has already dropped & broken one heavy toilet tank cover and I don't want him to risk hurting himself by dropping another. I also don't want to pay for an expensive plumber visit for what is probably a very simple fix or adjustment.

Any help out there???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Sounds like the fill valve float is stuck. It doesn't drop when you flush, signaling the need for more water to flow in and refill the tank.

Your local home department store - lowes, home depot, etc - will have the replacement part. It won't cost more than $15 and it's very simple to install - I just did one of ours this past month.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:20 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
If you are considering getting a new water fill valve rather than just the part of the fill valve that is malfunctioning, I would suggest the Korky brand fill valve. It's the quietest fill valve I have found. Read the reviews on Home Depot's website. Many customers agree that it's much quieter than other brands.

I recently had my toilet "guts" replaced with a kit purchased from Home Depot. The fill valve in the kit could wake the dead. It was awful. Right away I had it replaced with a Korky brand quiet fill valve--which what was in my tank before I thought I needed to replace it. Since I knew I had to get the flapper replaced, I thought it would be a good time to replace all parts inside the tank. Bad idea! The Korky brand fill valve is less than $10 at my Home Depot. Hopefully you have access to this brand where you are.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
These can be replaced with a pair of slip-joint pliers and a little effort, essentially, everything easily unscrews. A handyman can do this if you don't feel capable, cheaper than a plumber.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
If you are considering getting a new water fill valve rather than just the part of the fill valve that is malfunctioning, I would suggest the Korky brand fill valve. It's the quietest fill valve I have found. Read the reviews on Home Depot's website. Many customers agree that it's much quieter than other brands.

I recently had my toilet "guts" replaced with a kit purchased from Home Depot. The fill valve in the kit could wake the dead. It was awful. Right away I had it replaced with a Korky brand quiet fill valve--which what was in my tank before I thought I needed to replace it. Since I knew I had to get the flapper replaced, I thought it would be a good time to replace all parts inside the tank. Bad idea! The Korky brand fill valve is less than $10 at my Home Depot. Hopefully you have access to this brand where you are.

Good luck.
I've had good luck with Korky parts.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:59 PM

9 posts, read 122,480 times
Default Replacing or repairing Defective Fill Valves

Replacing the fill valve is the simplest fix for a problem with a sticking fill valve. There is only a slight difference in price between parts and the entire fill valve. If you had the toilet less than a year almost all brands of toilets are covered by a one year defective parts warranty (some American Standard toilets have 5 and 10 year parts warranties, Sterling and Kohler toilet warranties are one year).

Below are links to two videos from Lowe's How to website that show how to replace or repair various toilet parts including the fill valve. Almost all 2 piece toilets (tank is bolted or otherwise mechanically attached to the bowl) use universal fill valves. Note that one-piece toilets require different types (often model specific) parts. Fluid Master and Korky are the two biggest brands of toilet repair parts.

Simple Toilet Repairs
Learn all about toilet parts, how a toilet works and common repairs with this helpful how-to guide.

Simple Toilet Repairs

How to Fix a Slow-Filling Toilet

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
There are small particles which flow along with the water in water pipes. These small particles clog sink aerators and the little tube in the toilet which refills the bowl.

Plumbers keep installing plumbing this way because THAT IS THE WAY THEY ALWAYS HAVE! They don't think to design things better. They also keep installing the shower heads at "nose height"!

With that said, you can install or have installed a mesh screen "spin down filter" to filter your entire home's water and/or a spin down filter at the toilet water supply. Those filters will keep the small particles out of the toilet mechanism and it will no longer clog.

Here is what one of those spin down filters looks like...
Water Solutions: Products and Services: Catalogue: Sediment Trapper: ST

After installing a spin down filter, install a new toilet water fill mechanism (after flushing the water line a bit).

Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Thank you to all who took the time and effort to respond to my query about the tank frequently not refilling when flushed. My husband and I are both elderly and disabled, and neither of us is now able to replace this fill valve ourselves anymore, and I wanted to avoid calling an expensive plumber if there was a simple 'adjustment' I could do myself.

I think I may try the manufacturer's tech support, and if no satisfaction, the plumber it is.

Thanks again to all of you.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM

346 posts, read 550,895 times
Do you have a (no offense) younger aged friendly neighbor that can help replace the fill valve? It's so easy to change out that any person that's capable of reaching down to switch off the water , unscrew the old fill valve, pop in the new and do the reverse (rescrew and then turn on the water again).

The only thing is that sometimes the nut that's underneath the tank can get "stuck" and you'd need a wrench, but otherwise no tool is needed. I'd hate for you to waste $75 on a plumber if a strapping young lad living next door could help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgalb View Post
Thank you to all who took the time and effort to respond to my query about the tank frequently not refilling when flushed. My husband and I are both elderly and disabled, and neither of us is now able to replace this fill valve ourselves anymore, and I wanted to avoid calling an expensive plumber if there was a simple 'adjustment' I could do myself.

I think I may try the manufacturer's tech support, and if no satisfaction, the plumber it is.

Thanks again to all of you.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 PM

thank you QTBrye ... you seem like a very kind man, indeed. Here in NYC (Queens) you couldn't get a plumber to answer his phone for $75.00. We're probably talking $200+.

We don't have any strapping lads for neighbors, but you gave me an idea. I would have to get myself to a hardware store to pick up the new valve in any event, so maybe I will give them a call first and see if they have a handyman who will do it for less than a plumber. There is one old-time hardware store in Ridgewood that always has a lot of retired guys hanging out there, so that a possibility.

Thanks for a GREAT idea!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House