Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times

Advertisements

Either they replace it or you don't show up for the closing, very simple !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 11:25 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I built my first house and did the pre-closing walkthrough today (closing scheduled for Tuesday). During the walkthrough, I noticed the granite island in the kitchen had a saw cut and there were some scuffs. The damage appeared as if the island had been used as a workbench by another contractor. The construction manager said he would repair with epoxy.

Given that I paid decent money for the granite upgrade, is it reasonable to demand that the granite be replaced with another piece or is the repair of granite with the epoxy pretty routine? Also, if I require removal, should I hold up closing or can I just have them provide a written guarantee that it will be replaced as part of the closing papers?

I usually ask people. If you were paying what I am paying would you accept a substandard job? That usually shuts them up.
If they say yes I just say thank god I'm not you. Fix it right or I'm withholding payment

Tell the contractor to replace the slab. He will back charge it to whomever did the damage. If. He can't back charge then he has to eat it. It's not your problem. I would under no circumstances accept the repair.

I would simply say look Mr Contractor when I paid for the granite I was paying for a NEW slab install with no damage. What you are giving me is a new slab with a saw cut in it and a epoxy repair as a quick fix. So what happens when the slab develops a crack later. No you will replace the slab with a new undamaged piece

Don't be the nice guy. This is his problem. He's just trying to get out on the cheap. Screw him. He is getting paid full pop.

I made a contractor who was doing a remodel for me on a bathroom and hall take out the granite because it was the wrong color and edge cut from the granite I picked

Old 04-12-2014, 12:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Epoxy seems like bs to me. You should be compensated for their mistake. Maybe even the contractors insurance should pay.

Don't close without getting something in return (money back, a free upgrade, granite...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House