Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Brilliant! Now THERE's a tip I can use!
You're welcome. The one exception to organic waste in a trash can is citrus peels. They should not go into a compost pile, because they won't break down. Fortunately, they don't create an odor problem, and they might actually improve matters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Chop an apple into small pieces, add some cinnamon sticks and water. Let the mixture simmer on the stove. As it heats up, a fresh citric smell will spread throughout the house.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:53 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Clean often, empty trash, keep up with your laundry, have carpets shampooed often, wash walls once a year, wipe all furniture down with Murphy's oil soap often, wash/clean draperies, air the place out, use a large ionizer (they are great!). To me, trying to cover up odors with candles, fabreeze, etc, is worse than the original smell.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I simply take my trash out to the garbage cans in the detached garage daily. I can't smell what's in those big cans until I open the lids. I'll need to find a contained compost bin that keeps out rodents because I can't toss food garbage into my current compost pile. I don't have any room in my freezer, but I'd definitely get an extra basement freezer for food waste if I needed to combat a rodent problem. (My sister froze her trash for that reason once.) Fortunately, that hasn't been a problem since I'm meticulous about taking my trash bags out to the secure garbage cans outside daily.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Chop an apple into small pieces, add some cinnamon sticks and water. Let the mixture simmer on the stove. As it heats up, a fresh citric smell will spread throughout the house.
This is a neat organic idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
To me, trying to cover up odors with candles, fabreeze, etc, is worse than the original smell.
I agree. If I want a pretty smell, it's not to cover an order. I prefer to prevent odors by keeping everything fresh with nontoxic cleaners, some of which do smell good. I like natural scents like flower arrangements from my garden. I'm looking forward to the lilacs blooming in a few weeks.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Here's an unusual potential source of odor for those of us who live in dry climates. Years ago, we discovered that the trap in our basement dries out thanks to an awkwardly positioned heater. Once a week or so in the cold months we pour a bucket of water down the drain to prevent sewer gas from backing up into the house. Woe to all if we forget! It's a wicked bad odor.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-01-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 06:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm a little shocked, while reading these threads, there's such a need to cover up odors.

If randomparent's most excellent suggestions are followed many odors won't start in the first place.

Outside of taco night and the litter box there's not much of a problem around Casa Dew. Since we live where it gets very hot I use odor control bags for the kitchen trash so that when it goes into the wheelie bin and sits for a week it doesn't stink to high heaven. The litter box gets cleaned daily. The people IN the house are clean. And with very low humidity things don't get musty or damp.

The last odor problem we had was when a box of cheap-o wine leaked all over the fridge. That lesson was..... drink faster.
I was thinking the same thing...I don't really need to do anything special to keep my house from smelling like a dirty sock! Goodness - and I'm not even a fabulous housekeeper! Even when my house is dirty, it doesn't smell bad...

ETA - the humidity does make some difference as far as musty or damp smells - but I've lived in humid climates and I don't remember odors being a big problem...

Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Being pet-free certainly helps, as does having children out of diapers. The Diaper Genie years were pungent to put it mildly.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 PM

It's obvious that dirty socks was an exaggeration for humor. The thread is part satire and serious.

Personally, I'm interested in organic and nontoxic ways to clean and deodorize because I don't want to develop any odors that could inspire me to use crazy toxic air fresheners.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The Diaper Genie years were pungent to put it mildly.
OMG! Those were awful! Do parents still use them today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House