Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 AM

592 posts, read 1,480,453 times

Advertisements

Our first time owning a garage (2 car!)

It has remote door openers.
Also has the manual "on the door" twist handle and lock.

So its obvious that just closing the door with remote (and opening) is the most convenient, but is it safe to leave that way? Can bad people lift the door?

And if thats ok, I guess the manual door lock is something to use when away for a awhile, like vacation?

Probably an obvious and stupid question...

Last edited by elnina; 05-09-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,605,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
And if thats ok, I guess the manual door lock is something to use when away for a awhile, like vacation?
That's all I use it for. I always unplug the opener when I set the manual lock so I don't forget and use the remote while the manual lock is on. That would cause a bunch of damage.

I don't know how hard it would be to lift a door from the outside without having disengaged the door from the drive of the opener. I suspect it would be a fair bit harder than opening the door manually from the inside after having uncoupled the door.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:44 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,939,144 times
It's very difficult (can't say it's impossible) to manullay lift a garage door that is connected to to a garage opener. This is why there is a release cord (hanging on the track) that disengage the track to allow you to manually open the door.

When you are going away, one way to lock your garage door is that most of the panel has a lock button. Pressing it for a few seconds will put the opener in lock mode. This will stop receiving the signal from all your transponder to open the door. The only way to put it back to normal mode is you have to open from the panel. (basically turn off all remote)

Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 AM

17,360 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Most of the time it is fine........but there are ways to do it!

Breaking into a Garage - Garage Door Locks - As Seen on Shark Tank - YouTube

Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,503,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Most of the time it is fine........but there are ways to do it!

Breaking into a Garage - Garage Door Locks - As Seen on Shark Tank - YouTube
Most residential door locks are just as easy to defeat as well. As they say; they are there to keep honest people out.

My opinion is that best of the best locks are a waste of money as any house has windows that can be broken if someone wants in bad enough, most jambs are wood and will yield to a crowbar easily. An incrementally better lock on a door/garage/etc won't stop them. It is all about make it difficult enough to make them go elsewhere, you can eliminate the threat completely.

To defend against this type of burgler you will need the next level security (alarm system, cameras, dog, safe, hiding places etc.) It all depends how secure you want to go, and what you keep in your house.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:35 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,770,499 times
It is near impossible to defend against a professional burglar or for that matter a smash and grab. The best thing one can do is try and prevent a crime of opportunity by keeping things locked up and secured.

One neighbor left his garage door up overnight. Next day his lawn mower was gone. An inviting and easy snatch.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 AM

592 posts, read 1,480,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
My opinion is that best of the best locks are a waste of money as any house has windows that can be broken if someone wants in bad enough...
good point was thinking the same with our front door that has a top to bottom strip of decorative glass 4 inches from the inside lock knob.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 AM

11,143 posts, read 9,782,011 times
Most garage thefts are crimes of opportunity, the door was open and they went in and stole stuff, rather than pro thieves. Pro thieves have devices that scan the garage door codes rapidly in sequence as they slowly drive up and down streets until a garage door opens. We use just the remote unless we are going away for a few days, then we put a padlock through the holes in the inside of the door and track and pull the plug to the opener.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:16 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,159,910 times
Here is one to keep in mind - I dont know if the videos above covered it -

Remove the rope from the disengage mechanism. It is possible for a thief to use a long rod and insert it at the top of the garage door and use it for "fishing" for the rope. Wrapping the rope around the rod lets them disengage the mechanism. This is a particular problem with garage doors with windows. They can see what they are doing.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 AM

50,389 posts, read 64,073,157 times
If I were you I would quit worrying about it, and just enjoy the convenience. We have had remote openers for 30 years without incident, and as others have said, a dedicated burglar will not be affected either way.
Just practice opening it from the inside with the cord that disengages the opener, so that you will know how to open it if the electricity goes off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House