Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 7,333 times

Advertisements

We live in a development in which there is Offsite Leech fields/with the septic tank on the home properties. all home owners in this development have their own leech fields that was sectioned off during the development of this whole development, all septic lines etc. Each assigned lot has its own manifold, pipes, etc, that branch off to the next lot. our underground pipes from the septic to our leech field runs, at LEAST, a football field up the road from our house, along with other home builder in this development. all lots were sold to private individuals who then had homes built on the property they bought. Due to incompetent inspection from our wonderful county inspectors, we ended up, after having our home built in this development, having issues with the leech field. The company who put in the septic system at our home evidentially didn't put the float at the length it should have been in the pump area, causing the pump to burn up AND because the inspectors also didn't do their job at the other end (the leech field) we had major problems. The valve at the manifold was turned way down leaving very little water flow to the leech field.
This AT OUR EXPENSE ($2,000 later) the issue was corrected, and we contemplated suing the county because those things should have all been caught when the system was inspected, and they were "supposedly" inspected!
NOW, we noticed as we were up there cleaning our property where our leech field is, (which is in the middle of a wooded are, that's where they put ALL the leech fields)there is an overflow pipe that has water pouring out at times. (four minutes I videoed this happening non-stop yesterday) that overflow pipe is right on the stake marking our property and the next leech. That is my question. Why would this be happening? And how can we tell if that pipe spewing out water is from our leech bed or the lot beside us, since the "overflow" pipe is right on the property line???? I sure don't want another headache and expense and fighting with the "county" again.
Thanks to anyone who can help me figure this issue out!!!
Attached Thumbnails
leech fields-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:29 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Are you on the right state forum? You keep mentioning "county inspectors", and suing/fighting the "county". It's individual towns and cities in Ct. that would be responsible for inspections. If this is in Ct., what town is it? Did you hire someone to complete your septic system, or was it the builder?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:37 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
zip code in profile indicates North Carolina?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:19 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I am moving this to the House forum where it will get more responses. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Default Leech Field

JayCT,
Excuse me for my ignorance, but this is all new to me. I happened to get on this site after browsing for info on septic systems and most of all Leech Fields. You responded that you moved my questions to the "House forum where it will get more responses." is fine since I am new to this whole site. Please tell me how I can get to the site so I can see if anyone has responded to my questions.
I live in NC as someone had already stated. And it is the county who "supposedly" inspected the whole set-up.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Your leach field is in the woods? That's problem #1. Tree roots will ruin the field. Leach fields not on your own property is also a bad design.

I think your HOA should pay to have the field exposed and repaired. At that point it can be determined which pipes are the issue and who should pay for the repair.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 06-05-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I think you mean leach field. "Leech" is a flat worm that you wouldn't want a field of..........

Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 PM

Yes you are correct Misslk999! This whole LEACH field is driving me nuts. I should, and usually do, correct spelling errors but as usual I was in a big hurry to get this written as I had an appointment this morning that I didn't want to be late for.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Unbelievable, simply unbelievable. The developer and the county and the company brought in to do repairs may all share responsibility. From what you are saying, you have been told that there are parallel pipes that run, one for each homesite, along and up to a field where they branch off and serve individual leach fields, each sized for the house on the particular parcel.

If your water is not running, your pump is cut off and the overflow pipe is pumping out water, then the water is coming from a neighbor's system.

Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if there is only ONE leach field that has been actually constructed, and everything is connected to it. You will want to have someone come in and do a dye test. A dye and a charge of water are put into your waste stream. If the overflow comes out the color of the dye, it is your wastewater that makes up at least part of it. Put a DIFFERENT COLOR dye in the waste stream of the neighbor and see if that color also shows up in the overflow. If so, you have a suit.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:49 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Unbelievable, simply unbelievable. The developer and the county and the company brought in to do repairs may all share responsibility. From what you are saying, you have been told that there are parallel pipes that run, one for each homesite, along and up to a field where they branch off and serve individual leach fields, each sized for the house on the particular parcel.

If your water is not running, your pump is cut off and the overflow pipe is pumping out water, then the water is coming from a neighbor's system.

Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if there is only ONE leach field that has been actually constructed, and everything is connected to it. You will want to have someone come in and do a dye test. A dye and a charge of water are put into your waste stream. If the overflow comes out the color of the dye, it is your wastewater that makes up at least part of it. Put a DIFFERENT COLOR dye in the waste stream of the neighbor and see if that color also shows up in the overflow. If so, you have a suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House