Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times

Advertisements

What's the most common "cordless power tool" found at a pawn shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
...a cordless hammer drill.

Ridiculous power hogs- they'll drain a battery in a heartbeat! That's why so many DON'T want them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 03:54 PM

246 posts, read 470,875 times
Already on the chainsaw! Just got my pick up truck, ripping out shrubs, trees and hauling stone!
I live on a forest!

all thoughts much appreciated!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:19 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
I have a cordless drill thatI agree gets a lot of use. But, coincidentally, after having it drop 10 feet to a concrete floor today, that might be on the way out too! LOL

So assuming I still have a cordless drill, next addition advised is either a hammer drill or impact drill. What are their primary differences please?
I didn't know you already had a drill. I was recommending a hammer drill instead of a regular drill, but if you already have one, there isn't much of a difference. I'm assuming you already have hand tools (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc)?

If I had to go with another power tool, I would probably get a reciprocating saw or a circular saw. I have used my reciprocating saw quite a bit as a homeowner. I have used it to cut small limbs, pieces of wood for various reasons, PVC pipe, metal pipe, and I cut up an entire 4x6 ft clubhouse that was up on stilts to haul it to the curb. Recently, I cut an old 3/4" steel pipe and drilled holes in each end to make a bar that would replace the handle on my yard cart so I could hook it up to the mower and pull it around. It works awesome.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What's the most common "cordless power tool" found at a pawn shop?

Ridiculous power hogs- they'll drain a battery in a heartbeat! That's why so many DON'T want them.
I have a DeWalt hammer drill with two 18v batteries that charge in under an hour. It hasn't been an issue.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 AM

So since I have a cordless drill, is it that there is really no huge difference between having that and an impact driver?

That said, HUGE thanks on the reciprocal saw idea. I DO have a corded sawzall and its a PITA lugging cord all over and it does get tons of use. HUge toss up b/w that and a circular saw....already have the dual siding bevel miter saw...

Thanks for the input!

Old 06-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
So since I have a cordless drill, is it that there is really no huge difference between having that and an impact driver?

That said, HUGE thanks on the reciprocal saw idea. I DO have a corded sawzall and its a PITA lugging cord all over and it does get tons of use. HUge toss up b/w that and a circular saw....already have the dual siding bevel miter saw...

Thanks for the input!
There is a difference, but I wouldn't buy another drill with added features (hammer drill, etc) when I already have a drill that works fine.
You said you already have a corded "sawzall". If I already had one with a cord, I wouldn't buy another, even if it is cordless. There are so many other things to spend that money on. I love my miter saw and use it all the time. If you already have the drill, reciprocating saw (sawzall), and miter saw... I think circular saw or jigsaw would be next for me.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:27 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:

Thanks for the input!
An impact driver has a couple of advantages. The additional torque will make it possible to drive into harder materials that a similar sized drill can't. It's faster - which if you're driving hundreds or thousands of screws will make a difference. Lastly, it's easier to control how deep you're driving because it relies on torque instead of momentum. After using one on a variety of building projects, I wouldn't go back to using a drill as a driver.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Im thinking impact wrench for lugnuts OR a nail gun now...

Old 07-03-2014, 11:19 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I use my cordless electric drill more than any other power tool. Mine is variable speed and reversible, so I can stick a screw driver bit in it and use it to screw in [unscrew] screws. Also use it to drill a small hole first so the screw will go in easier.

These don't have enough power for lug nuts on a car. Best to use brute strength for that! And also use a torque wrench when tightening the lug nuts (per factory maintenance manual instructions or owner's manual instructions) so they are the correct tightness.
This would be it.

Had to use my 35 year old corded Black and Decker a couple days ago (I didn't have the battery charged in the cordless). You can never have too many drills, especially if you're doing something where you switch between bits.

Second would be a circular saw.

Or, hell, get something exotic.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM

Went with an air hammer. Gonna be building a treehouse, some forts. and frame a few rooms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House