Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

Be careful. I vote for wasp spray then hose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 AM

223 posts, read 300,346 times
Default Wasp Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Seriously?

I am female and have been removing wasp nests since I was a kid.

Pop it off the wall with a broom handle when the wasps are away and kick the nest into the grass and move on with your day.
And how do you know that the wasps are away...knock on the hive and yell, "Anyone home?" I've seen wasps take off out of nests, and I wouldn't want them coming after me. Some people also are allergic to wasp stings and don't want to take the risk.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 AM

306 posts, read 550,280 times
I have an interesting nest that I am unsure how I should handle - A rather large one (larger than half-softball sized) that is located in my houses combustion air intake vent.

The vent is secured to the house in such a way that I would prefer to not remove it... I am a little concerned about spraying RAID into that vent as it will surely make it's way into the house, but not sure I have a whole lot of options at this point.

I have put a screen on the house side of the vent to keep wasps from flying into my house (one that I know must be removed in relatively short order because the small screens will clog over time).

Anyone delt with one inside of a combustion air intake before?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
People are so cruel to highly social creatures who just kill and eat caterpillars. Have you no empathy for anything? I lived closely with Polestes anularis (being a naturalist). I have studied their social lives. How? I went out at night and painted small dots of different colors on their abdomens. Then I would sit nearby and take notes because I could tell them apart. They have a social hierarchy. They do not sting unless you threaten their nest. They do not like something thumping the wall either. Other than that, they are docile and go about their business.

One year, there were too many nests on the back porch. It was like living next to some gang members, you had to walk easy. I did not spray poison on their or my environment. I waited till winter, then sprayed foam insulation in all the cracks. I had to do that anyway. End of study, end of problem.
People are quick to do this because wasps will sting people who happen to be moving around unknowingly too close to the nest. At my old house there was a relatively small nest with quite a few wasps in it just outside our back patio (probably 7 feet from the door)- there is no way I was going to leave that, as any time we were on the patio we would have to be aware that wasps may be around, or if kids were out there they could get stung. So I soaked the nest at sunset when all the wasps were in the nest with the foaming wasp killing spray others here mentioned, and it worked perfectly, completely getting rid of the problem.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
People are quick to do this because wasps will sting people who happen to be moving around unknowingly too close to the nest. At my old house there was a relatively small nest with quite a few wasps in it just outside our back patio (probably 7 feet from the door)- there is no way I was going to leave that, as any time we were on the patio we would have to be aware that wasps may be around, or if kids were out there they could get stung. So I soaked the nest at sunset when all the wasps were in the nest with the foaming wasp killing spray others here mentioned, and it worked perfectly, completely getting rid of the problem.
With all due respect to those who believe otherwise, I also believe in getting rid of what I deem to be a problem as soon and as effectively as possible before someone gets stung. If you want to mess with a live nest, all the power to you.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkull View Post
Anyone delt with one inside of a combustion air intake before?
I haven't dealt with an air intake situation before, but I've dealt with nests where spraying poison was not a good solution (inhaling poison is never good). There was a huge yellow-jacket nest (about 3 feet in diameter--HUGE!) in the attic of a building where I worked. They wanted to pay an exterminator to spray it, but I wouldn't permit it. Instead, I got a shop vac and made an extension so the nozzle could be placed right at their point of entry. Every time one would fly in or out, it would get sucked up into the vacuum cleaner. It took a while, but several thousand met their fate that way. And, of course, we didn't open the shop vac for few days, just in case.

I hate needlessly killing anything, and we would have left this nest alone had it been in another location...but since this nest of yellow jackets was going to be destroyed anyway, I made sure that no poisons were used. In case any remained in the nest, we waited until the wintertime to physically remove the nest. Since that time, a vacuum cleaner has been our preferred method of removal--but only when absolutely necessary.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Really !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
This poster says it all - What's the difference between a Bee and a Wasp?
Warning - if you have tender eyes, you might not like the poster, so don't click on it. But sometimes you just have to call a wasp a wasp.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:42 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Not wanting to take time to read it all. Raid Wasp/Hornet spray. Early evening. Stand about 10feet away. Spray then run away. Hose/brush it off the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House