Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 06:39 AM

429 posts, read 853,529 times

Advertisements

We have a large bedroom on our second floor, which is rear-dormered and has a dog house dormer in the front. It's just about half the entire second floor, stretching front to back and right up to the staircase that splits the house in half from left to right.

Instead of using it as a Master (it's the largest in the house), we'd like to convert it to two (kids') bedrooms, so that this house will have three bedrooms upstairs (with a full bath), instead of just two. In order for us to do this, we'll need to put up new framing splitting the room almost in half, but we'll also need to add a closet to the front bedroom and we'll need to figure something out about the heating, as the majority of the heating elements will be in the back half of the room (baseboard heaters).

So, who should we call for this type of work? Should we hire out each job individually? We'll need framing, drywall/insulation, new windows, plumbing and flooring, as well as electrical to add/move switches, I'm guessing. Is it better to just go to one company, since it's really just one room or should we get estimates for each portion once the previous job has been done?

Another reason I'm considering having a contractor come give us an estimate for the job, is because they may be able to point out any issues with our plan that I'm not able to see on my own.

Thank you for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 06:57 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
I would get a general contractor, who will coordinate all the necessary tradesmen.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
We have a large bedroom on our second floor
...we'd like to convert it to two (kids') bedrooms

and we'll need to figure something out about the heating...
...heating elements ...(baseboard heaters).
No Air conditioning? If so consider yourself lucky to not have duct work as well.
With electric heat it's just a matter of splitting/extending the wire.

Quote:
So, who should we call for this type of work?
You need a "General" contractor to manage the several trades.

But I'd start with a REAL set of drawings/specs to work (and bid) from.
That usually means an architect.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
With electric heat it's just a matter of splitting/extending the wire.
She didn't say it's electric heat. Baseboard heat can be water heat.

Even if it's water, adding an electric baseboard heater to the new bedroom is an easy solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You need a "General" contractor to manage the several trades.

But I'd start with a REAL set of drawings/specs to work (and bid) from.
That usually means an architect.
They don't need an architect for something this simple. The general contractors will draw up what they propose with their bids.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:43 AM

429 posts, read 853,529 times
Correct, we don't have Central Air (no ductwork) and we have hot water heat with baseboard heaters on the 2nd floor. The heating pipes run along the front and side wall (both exterior) of what will be this new bedroom.

I didn't think we'd need an architect for this - there are no structural changes, just the addition of a partition wall and some framing for a new closet.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:17 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
You'll have to make sure the windows meet egress code for "both" bedrooms. "One" bedroom can have several sizes of windows- as long as one meets code. Sounds like you may have an issue with one of those (doghouse dormer).

The other issue is clearance for "hallway"- 36" min. Width. But also keep in mind short runs and corners for moving furniture.

Can't tell you how many times people get disappointed when their grandiose plans get squashed by code requirements they weren't aware of. Costs skyrocket for updating systems (my favorite right now [sarcasim] is smoke detectors); sq/ft minimized by minimal standards, and structural issues come into play when certain things change because of code requirements (egress sized window). I've also seen the results of these type issues after the fact because somebody didnt know simple code- and/or there was no permitting.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 09-15-2014 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House