Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,382 times

Advertisements

I do celebrate that important anniversary.

I've written a handful of books on architectural history, and yet for years, I lived in rental properties because I was way too poor to buy a house. I traveled around giving lectures on homeownership, and yet I lived in a crappy apartment.

Then I got married and my husband and I bought a big old house. It was a big old mistake. Too much work, too much money, and it was an unfriendly neighborhood.

Then, after much "discussion," he agreed to move into another house.

The house I'm in now is a "Mid-Century Modern" brick ranch, and I love. Every day, I am grateful to be in a house that really suits me.

The house looks much like it did when built in 1962, and I love it. Just love it. My bathroom was featured on Retrorenovation a few months back. Rose stencils atomic 'painted wallpaper' to perk up her vintage bathroom - Retro Renovation

To some people, houses are everything and I'm one of those people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 11:35 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Default Once. But not perpetually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
When a home is bought its closing date is pretty important and sometimes memorable. Even those who moved into rental homes remember the first day of their signed lease/move in. Do you know the anniversary date of when you moved into your current home? Do you celebrate or acknowledge the date in any way? If so, please share how you mark the occasion!
Maybe the 1st anniversary. After that, seems a little weird to celebrate move-in day.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,918 times
Rose, your bathroom is charming. A friend of mine still has her original lavendar bathroom toilet, tub and sink that came with the house and she won't change it either. It's nice to see a truly original bathroom that hasn't been updated to look just like all the other updated baths in the latest issues of decorator magazines.

We don't celebrate the anniversary of our purchase of this house and never even thought to do so. I'm not even sure I know the date we bought it. All I remember is we took possession around St. Patricks day.
But, then again, hubby and I aren't really sure exactly what day we got married either. We're not big into anniversaries.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:13 PM

97 posts, read 162,466 times
We will celebrate when we close because we've been living in a hotel. I plan on running around the house after my husband carries me over the threshold for the first time. Lol we also plan to christen the house before the movers arrive. Lol
I don't think we will celebrate the anniversary of our close date, but I think we will remember it.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:21 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousE View Post
We will celebrate when we close because we've been living in a hotel. I plan on running around the house after my husband carries me over the threshold for the first time. Lol we also plan to christen the house before the movers arrive. Lol
I don't think we will celebrate the anniversary of our close date, but I think we will remember it.
ahhhhh, young love, young house love.

I remember those starry eyed days fondly.

That last's until the boiler goes, or the roof starts leaking and then reality set's in.

But Congratulations! and good luck!

Old 09-14-2014, 06:44 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post

Do you know the anniversary date of when you moved into your current home? Do you celebrate or acknowledge the date in any way? If so, please share how you mark the occasion!
I always remember the date we moved in. It was the same day the Big Thompson flood occurred 80 miles north of us. We didn't know it at the time because it happened in the evening and we were still busy moving in. It was the worst flood in Colorado history and 144 people died that night in 1976. It always makes me think how life can change in a moment.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:34 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
We closed on leap day 2008, so we've only had one anniversary so far. We did commemorate the occasion though it wasn't really a celebration.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:48 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Remembering house closing date(s), heck I have enough trouble trying to remember birthdays and anniversaries. I do remember writing a huge check for the cost of the house, paying cash for it.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:14 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
We don't really celebrate, but we do know the move in date for this house since it's April Fool's Day 2011 and easy to remember.

Our first house as a married couple was bought December, 2001, but I don't remember the exact date. We did just finish paying off that mortgage earlier this year, although we didn't throw a party for that, either. However, we've now remortgaged it to buy our next house.

The closing date on the next one is scheduled for October 16th, but we will probably move in November 1st and remember that date instead. I guess we could throw a party, but it's a house that is in "need of a little work" so it won't be party ready for quite some time.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM

97 posts, read 162,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
ahhhhh, young love, young house love.

I remember those starry eyed days fondly.

That last's until the boiler goes, or the roof starts leaking and then reality set's in.

But Congratulations! and good luck!
Lol thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House