Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:40 AM

222 posts, read 450,635 times

Advertisements

Ok so im in the market for a new fridge, washer, dryer and toaster oven.... I notice the more research I do the harder the decision gets. I started out by looking at whirlpool as Ive often heard they are the best, well the more I started looking into reviews the less sure I was about this. Then I started to look at the big 32 cu. ft LG without the fancy computer controlled ice and water dispenser on the door. This looks like something that will last as it doesnt have as much stuff on it to break, but then again, all of these LG, Whirlpool, GE, samsung fridges are all made in china and they all have equally good and bad reviews online.

So then I started looking at the commercial stuff... Viking, true, sub-zero, viking, arctic air, etc... there are a lot of drawbacks to using units like this... they are noisy, not very easy to organize on the inside, and usually odd shaped that wont fit your standard fridge area just right. They do last though and I wont have to worry about it breaking down once every year or two.

The LG fridge we like:

On the washer and dryers I was looking at whirlpool as well... I am now trying to decide between the LG mega capacity front loaders or I will just cough up the money and go with the Speed Queen front loaders in stainless steel. this setup will cost me about 1000-2000 dollars more than the LG. They are not as big, but they are 100% American made commercial units that will last a lifetime...
LG

VS

Speed Queen

We dont use a microwave in our house so we have been looking at alternate food heating methods this has brought us to the Breville Smart Toaster OvenBOV800XL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Washers and dryers are not what they used to be. Even Maytag. So just get the best-quality top loader washer and best-reviewed dryer you can find.

I have had good luck with new Whirlpool fridge, dishwasher and double range. I don't care for appliances that look like they should be sold at a Lexus dealership, so I did not go the $3K Samsung route.

Nice username, by the way.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
While doing research is good, you have to hit a point where you make a decision and stick with it come hell or high water. You can Easily over-analyze, becoming frozen and indecisive. Similarly, if you rely o User reviews, it's easy to lose sight of the big picture and get hung up on something the vocal minority are having issues with.

I'm a research-oholic myself. Thankfully, I've come across one review site that seems to hit the sweet spot for me and have yet to steer my wrong. Actually, it's 2 sites, one for tech gear (Thewirecutter.com) and one for home items (Thesweethome.com). The reviewers seem to be Vastly more intouch with the average consumer, and the research is methodical. At least take a look at what they've come across. I know on the Fridge entry, they give advice on helping you pick from outside their suggestions:

The Best Refrigerator | The Sweethome

Similarly, here's their review on Washer and Dryers (I'm absolutly no fan of top-loads, they're simply a pain in the back and you lose the option of stacking ~ something that I'm being forced into for the first time in the decade that I've owned my front-load units):

The Best Washer and Dryer | The Sweethome

And you already found their top review for a toaster oven:

The Best Toaster Oven is Expensive, but Great | The Sweethome

Were I buying any of those major appliances today, and buying New, I'd be following those recommendations. Thankfully our Wash/Dryer was the last new large appliance purchase (Kenmore HE3 models, bought in 2004), and we've had zero issues with them. I buy used refrigerators and currently have a Samsung that originally sold for $2500, that I paid $300 for and then replaced a $50 part (coil heater on the fridge side).

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I have that Breville oven, it's wonderful.

I'm still figuring out my own fridge and washer/dryer choices.

Leaning towards the counter depth Samsung Food Showcase side by side. My prior fridge was a Frigidaire Professional Line model and I really liked it, it worked great after 7 years. But I wasn't happy with their counter depth models and due to the space configuration that's a necessity in my new house.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:40 PM

628 posts, read 2,045,250 times
Just go with the standard Speed Queen--getting a set myself in good old generic white and it is only costing $1300 total ish

Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Somehow, I always seem to be disappointed when I pay more for an appliance expecting better performance or longevity. That doesn't seem to factor in these days. The only thing more money gets you these days are fancier settings or gadgets that are more prone to wearning out. I've pretty much narrowed my appliance choices down to Whirlpool and Kitchenaid (same brand) and buy the least amount of appliance with the most amount of features I need. So far so good.

I have the Breville toaster oven and I love it. It gets mixed reviews too, so I bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond and kept the receipt and box - supposedly they would replace it for at least the first 6 months, but I've had no problems whatsoever going on a year now.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 PM

146 posts, read 293,862 times
I agree with Moonlady. Paying more will get you more bells and whistles but not better quality nor longevity. That is my experience.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Whirlpool is onyl US made appliance.I agree don't get the top of the line just more to break.Get noly what you need /use. Dial timer when possible. But then equal now cost less than in the mid 60's in this throwaway era from high parts and service cost.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 PM

222 posts, read 450,635 times
Found the speed queen in stainless set for 3500 shipped and no tax through presslers. The more research I do the more I'm leaning heavily in favor of the US made setup used in many commercial applications. The fridge we like is an LG 32cu ft. French door without any of the door computer contraptions or water/ice dispenser.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I'm getting a fully stainless steel fridge with all the bells and whistles, internet access and it will email me when I am low on bologna........double-lifetime warranty and the fridge will also double as an emergency toilet......................ONLY 5K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On second thought, I guess I will go with the plain-jane fridge from Goodwill for $49.95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House