Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I'm telling you Lisa. You and Mike should have a HGTV show! How the two of you do so much is amazing!

p.s.
I love the last pic with the beautiful view of the water and Nikki peeking out the door ! Any gators out there???
Thank you. Niki has no clue what a gator is. She would freak if one came out of the water, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Wow, what a project! Go Mike and Lisa!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amazing team work!
Always…we love working together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
after seeing the pic with the water view I now want you guys to make that entire side of the house (excluding kitchen) a WALL OF WINDOWS
Sure…c'mon over and help us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Right on I knew the different levels of flooring would bug "us". Did Mike get a haircut his hair looks very nice today. Hey Pip might have a great idea about the wall on glass.

OK Lisa you get extra safety points for wearing a mask, ahem Mike did you see that, now missy is that sunburn on your arms? <<<<<Jax tapping her foot waiting for the answer>>>>
Yes they sure would bug us, lol. Mike says thank you. No haircut…it must be the water here Heck you and Pip can both come and help with that wall of windows, lol.

Nicole gave me reps to fro safety and she yelled at Mike…even called him by her husband's name That ought to make Mike do something, lol. No sunburn at all. I'm not sure what happened in that picture other than Mike taking the picture. He is terrible with the camera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:04 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Nicole gave me reps to fro safety and she yelled at Mike…even called him by her husband's name
boy if that doesn't get Mike's attention nothing will

Girl you know if I was able I'd be right there helping y'all out with a wall of windows now I'd just be a babysitter for Niki.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 AM

Default Raising The Floor And A New Front Door

Today is the day….it's all or nothing. We are going to take the sliding doors out without knowing what we will find and hopefully we can raise the floor and get a new door in before nightfall.

Mike trying to get the first door out of the track. Yeah right….it takes two of us and a crow bar to finally get it out. The track was bowed and it gave us a delay:

Second door coming out:

Man those are some heavy double paned glass doors. Too bad we can't use them. After the doors are removed Mike works on the frame:

That's out Sadly the original metal frame from a previous door is also in place. Mike works on that frame:

OK…doors and frames are out…time to take the tile up. So far that was the easiest thing in this house to remove, lol.

Uh oh…now we did it. There is no turning back

Now that the door, frame and tiles are out it's time to refigure. We have to raise this floor before we can install the new door:

Mike has it figured out….he cuts a strip of 3/4" PT plywood to fill the space where the door plate was:

Adding glue to that section:

Drilling in the concrete screws:

Next up…time to cut all of the cross boards for the base of the floor. It was really nice of our neighbor to give us his table saw We may have to buy it from him after all. Mike has to cut each one on an angle as one part of the floor is lower than the other:

The floorboards are in place:

Mike nailing in all the PT 2x4s:

Now for the plywood top:

After the first 8 foot section we worked on the rest of the hallway. Mike doing the last of it

Yay we are level with the rest of the house

It has been a long day so far but we got enough in to get the new door in. Next up…the door is taller than our opening. Mike has to use the reciprocating saw the cut the top of the doorway out…through wood, concrete and wire lath. Ugh…I feel bad for Mike. It was really rough on him I even volunteered to "try" to cut it but he said there was no way I would be able to do it.

He got it all cut out and now it's time to add some framing for the door:

The new door going in:

That's it. That took us all day and it is starting to get dark and we don't want to make any mistakes. We stapled some paper over the sides of the door for the night. We are done for the day. Mike's arms need a break.

We are just happy to get that much done and now we can rest. Mike and I have been planning and shopping. I will tell you more and post more pictures on Monday.

Lisa

Old 11-20-2014, 10:40 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Looking great~

Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Am I the only person who thinks of Walter White when I see pictures of Mike?

Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
This is looking good, Lisa. I like the photo of Mike while he's in thinking mode of how to proceed next. You can almost hear the wheels turning in his brain.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Lisa this was a great thread to read! I have not been able to access your blog ( maybe my mobile isn't supported?)...so these pics & updates were wonderful. All the best to you and Mike!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I can't wait to see what you guys work on this weekend!

Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Another interesting project...

Lets me get another prospective on home improvements.

I've done a fair number of total remodels with the only difference being the home was in real sad shape... even to the point of a condemnation hearing being scheduled.

The practical side of me makes it hard to have a free hand unless everything needs to go... I'm often accused of being too good at fixing things for my own good!

I really enjoy your updates and thanks for sharing them with you City-Data family!

Old 11-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Looking great~
Thank you

Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks of Walter White when I see pictures of Mike?
I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This is looking good, Lisa. I like the photo of Mike while he's in thinking mode of how to proceed next. You can almost hear the wheels turning in his brain.
I think there was some smoke coming out Mike's ears, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Lisa this was a great thread to read! I have not been able to access your blog ( maybe my mobile isn't supported?)...so these pics & updates were wonderful. All the best to you and Mike!
Sorry about that. The name changed a bit. Glad you can see us in action again

Quote:
I can't wait to see what you guys work on this weekend!
We are doing the not so exciting stuff of spackle, dry, sand, spackle…repeat…repeat…repeat. Ugh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Another interesting project...

Lets me get another prospective on home improvements.

I've done a fair number of total remodels with the only difference being the home was in real sad shape... even to the point of a condemnation hearing being scheduled.

The practical side of me makes it hard to have a free hand unless everything needs to go... I'm often accused of being too good at fixing things for my own good!

I really enjoy your updates and thanks for sharing them with you City-Data family!
Thank you for commenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House