Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:29 PM

228 posts, read 740,505 times

Advertisements

I have a Duel Zone ready 95% efficient Furnace in my home which is a 3750 Sq. Ft. rambler in Northern Utah. I have a unfinished basement which has no duct work at this time. After 5 years of Utah Winters I want to heat the basement mainly because I am using it for band rehearsals and we are cold! LOL. I am wondering if it makes sense to plumb this for Duel Zone or just add ducts to the existing duct work and keep it single zone? I will be adding a gas fireplace in a few years which is in the main 650 sq. ft. room. Is Duel Zone over kill or would you invest to have this in your home?

Last edited by Hattrick; 12-01-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 01:15 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Dual Zone Ready???

Either it is, or it isn't.

What's the sq/ft. of the basement? Or the better question- how much of the basement would you want to finish/heat? Look at a whole (separate) system for the basement- size will be totally depend on how much is subterranean, and how much is framed/doors/windows.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:41 PM

[quote=K'ledgeBldr;37478063]Dual Zone Ready???

Either it is, or it isn't. It is Dual Zone, just not ducted for the second zone yet.

What's the sq/ft. of the basement? Approximately 1370 total. Or the better question- how much of the basement would you want to finish/heat? All of it. Look at a whole (separate) system for the basement- size will be totally depend on how much is subterranean, and how much is framed/doors/windows. Walk out on one side only one side is subterranean and has windows on two sides with French doors to the walk out patio. [/quote]

Old 12-01-2014, 03:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
So, you're saying that the current system has the controller board and dampers already installed? And the only thing that would need to be done is duct for the basement and a T/stat? That certainly doesn't sound like the case in your first post- "I am wondering if it makes sense to plumb this for Duel Zone or just add ducts to the existing duct work and keep it single zone?"

Is the current system an appropriate size to handle the main living area AND the basement when it's finished?

At approx. 1400sq/ft for the basement, I'd seriously consider a separate system. Even though they probably aren't that well used in UT, it maybe worth looking at a heat pump- but if its comfortable down there during the summer without excessive humidity- don't worry about it, just go with a furnace.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
So, you're saying that the current system has the controller board and dampers already installed? And the only thing that would need to be done is duct for the basement and a T/stat? That certainly doesn't sound like the case in your first post- "I am wondering if it makes sense to plumb this for Duel Zone or just add ducts to the existing duct work and keep it single zone?" Sorry about that. I meant to finish the setup for duel zone. Yes it has the controller board and T/Stat.

Is the current system an appropriate size to handle the main living area AND the basement when it's finished? Yes

At approx. 1400sq/ft for the basement, I'd seriously consider a separate system. Even though they probably aren't that well used in UT, it maybe worth looking at a heat pump- but if its comfortable down there during the summer without excessive humidity- don't worry about it, just go with a furnace.
The large living room (great room) downstairs will have a gas fireplace which will heat as well.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM

621 posts, read 1,124,196 times
Done correctly, you can have as many zones as you have stages of heating...1/1, 2/2, and many for carrier infinity zoning/equipment. 2 zones on a single stage furnace is a horrible thing to do to a furnace, 3 would be criminal.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Done correctly, you can have as many zones as you have stages of heating...1/1, 2/2, and many for carrier infinity zoning/equipment. 2 zones on a single stage furnace is a horrible thing to do to a furnace, 3 would be criminal.
It is a duel stage furnace.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:25 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
So, you are going to have to add the ductwork anyway, right? The only question is if you hook it into what exists for the first floor of the house or set it up as its own zone?

If I am understanding you correctly I'd add it as its own zone. That way you don't have to heat the basement every time you heat the upstairs if you aren't actually using it. Plus, then the heat would turn off down there if you are using the fireplace. That just seems more efficient in the long run.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
A gas fireplace is usually a huge energy waste if used to trying to heat rooms with it.
Why not have a HVAC contractor come look at what you have, what you want to do, and give you estimates both ways.
I have a single unit zoned system for my upper two floors. I have a separate system for the basement. My 1600 SF basement consists of 800 SF workshop on one side, a large closet for off season clothes, a work out and media room, and my wives craft room on the other side. Everything is under ground with just a window in the craft room, and double french doors in the workshop. Since we have high humidity here in the south, I run the a/c in the summer to keep the moisture down even though it never gets hot in the basement. I do have to run heat in the winter because it does get cold down there.

I would go with a separate system, but see what a HVAC contractor has to say.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
A gas fireplace is usually a huge energy waste if used to trying to heat rooms with it.
Why not have a HVAC contractor come look at what you have, what you want to do, and give you estimates both ways.
I have a single unit zoned system for my upper two floors. I have a separate system for the basement. My 1600 SF basement consists of 800 SF workshop on one side, a large closet for off season clothes, a work out and media room, and my wives craft room on the other side. Everything is under ground with just a window in the craft room, and double french doors in the workshop. Since we have high humidity here in the south, I run the a/c in the summer to keep the moisture down even though it never gets hot in the basement. I do have to run heat in the winter because it does get cold down there.

I would go with a separate system, but see what a HVAC contractor has to say.

I contacted my original HAVC contractor who worked on my house when built. He said my furnace is multi-zone ready and is large enough for the whole house to work duel zone upstairs as one zone downstairs as another. He will be coming to provide me cost and time frame to do this.

As per fireplace I was going to use it mainly for decoration but instead of routing the heat mostly outside I would like to use it as efficiently as possible. This is a couple years down the road. For now the fireplace notch out is insulated and closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House