Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times

Advertisements

Within the last month or so I've been getting a flock of birds on my stoop making a big pooping mess. They're just hanging around and also seemingly pecking between my paver brick. Is that a source of food or something? It's not pure sand but a rubbery substance at this point. Not sure why now and not before. I normally wouldn't care but this is my front stoop and they're really making a nasty mess. I heard fake owls don't really work either.
Attached Thumbnails
birds on my stoop-1.jpg   birds on my stoop-snap_20150128-141648-0.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
aww they're hungry.
Put some seed out for them somewhere else.

Do you save your cooking grease rather than pouring it down the drain?

Quote:
In the old days when bacon was a regular part of breakfast, cooks were happy to share the leftover grease with their feathered friends. In today's fat-conscious society, many people have sworn off bacon, but birds don't need to fight fat! Bacon grease is still a great food for backyard birds.

The simplest way to package bacon grease for bird feeding is in metal tuna or cat-food cans. Punch a hole in the side wall of the can with a nail. Use pliers to bend the tip of a wire into a knot that won't slip through the hole, and thread the wire through the can for hanging. Fill the can to the brim with cooled, but still liquid, bacon grease, then stick it in the refrigerator to solidify. Once the grease is no longer runny, hang the can from a branch.

Bluebirds, jays, woodpeckers, and Carolina wrens readily accept this source of fat, whether you offer it straight or use it in bird-treat recipes. Bacon grease also draws crows, starlings, and even ravens.
[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...#ixzz3Q9B4ftut
[/LEFT]

Old 01-28-2015, 01:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
My next door neighbor did put up a bird feeder at their front door many months back. Are these birds hanging out on my stoop with their food ? Do they even do that?

I'm not about to invite more over with a feeder of my own.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
My next door neighbor did put up a bird feeder at their front door
That was dumb.

Quote:
I'm not about to invite more over with a feeder of my own.
ELSEWHERE in your yard

Old 01-28-2015, 01:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Within the last month or so I've been getting a flock of birds on my stoop making a big pooping mess. They're just hanging around and also seemingly pecking between my paver brick. Is that a source of food or something? It's not pure sand but a rubbery substance at this point. Not sure why now and not before. I normally wouldn't care but this is my front stoop and they're really making a nasty mess. I heard fake owls don't really work either.
I think they might be attempting to get small pieces of stone or gravel for their croup - it aids in grinding up their food internally since birds dont have teeth.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
You can buy a rubber owl. That works to scare them away for as long as it takes them to figure out it isn't a real owl.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:39 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
I've heard that hanging old CDs from strings scares birds away. The shiny side scares them off. I, too, would put up a feeder away from the porch, uh, stoop.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
I'm betting they're "sunning"-
Those pavers are probably a good heat source along with the sun.

Doves also tend to gather in groups-

Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I think they might be attempting to get small pieces of stone or gravel for their croup - it aids in grinding up their food internally since birds dont have teeth.
Bakeneko is right, they're after grit, and judging from all the snow in your picture there's not much else available. Be patient, they'll move on.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:47 PM

96 posts, read 117,483 times
There's no law against killing pigeons. Shoot 2 or 3 of them dead with a bb gun and the rest will get the message and stay off your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House