Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
Approx 8 years ago I moved to an area where I needed a fully furnished apartment on a month to month lease.
I found someone advertising on Craigslist a converted two car garage that was made into a sizable studio apartment.

With nothing to lose I went to see it. I was blown away at how incredibly well done it was. Nice sized kitchen, full bathroom and a huge living/bedroom with separate sitting area with table and chairs.
They kept the garage doors as a facade in order to comply with local ordinances. The door to the apartment looked like their side door to the main house.

It was all inclusive including cable, internet, heat,water, electricity, dishes, pots, pans, everything all for 500.00 a month in 2006.

As soon as I saw it I agreed to take it and ended up staying there for a little over a year. The house was in a upper middle class neighborhood with mature landscaping. It was as close to idyllic as one could hope for.
I had a friend who made a mother in law suite out of her garage doing the same thing. The HOA would have had a fit if they found out but she kept everything looking the same on the outside and her mother in law was very comfortable there. The only problem was the slight slant to the floor for runoff purposes but it never was a serious problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:14 AM

187 posts, read 195,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had a friend who made a mother in law suite out of her garage doing the same thing. The HOA would have had a fit if they found out but she kept everything looking the same on the outside and her mother in law was very comfortable there. The only problem was the slight slant to the floor for runoff purposes but it never was a serious problem.

Yes, I also enjoyed the fact that I lived in a stealth environment. Something just kind of cool about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House