Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 06:25 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times

Advertisements

I could use some advice on buying a new dishwasher. All I need is a basic dishwasher 24" wide, no frills or bells and whistles, a gazillion different settings not needed, not picky on color. My only priority is to get a solid machine without spending a lot of money. Looking online there are basic models for sale by major manufacturers but they are so much cheaper that I wonder what if anything I am trading off by going with a basic model?
My house came with the existing dishwasher, so this is the first dishwasher I will be buying.
Ideally I would like to spend no more than $600.
Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions on how to get the most bang for my very limited budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 06:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I could use some advice on buying a new dishwasher. All I need is a basic dishwasher 24" wide, no frills or bells and whistles, a gazillion different settings not needed, not picky on color. My only priority is to get a solid machine without spending a lot of money. Looking online there are basic models for sale by major manufacturers but they are so much cheaper that I wonder what if anything I am trading off by going with a basic model?
My house came with the existing dishwasher, so this is the first dishwasher I will be buying.
Ideally I would like to spend no more than $600.
Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions on how to get the most bang for my very limited budget?
@OP, I know every other woman is going to think I'm insane, but I believe that dishwashers are the most useless home appliance that has ever been invented. Why? Because they don't do what they claim to do. They don't wash dishes any better than a human being. You wash them yourself, load them yourself, unload them yourself, sometimes even dry them yourself, and you still believe the dishwasher has somehow helped you with this task To me, that's more work than help to us mere mortals. Here's the routine:

1. Eat food.
2. Rinse dish. If it has a lot of food or it's really greasy, you have to give it a good going over with a scrubby.
3. Insert in dishwasher.
4. Fill up dishwasher with many dishes, all of which you yourself have rinsed, scraped off excess food, and possibly scrubbed.
5. Put soap in dishwasher, and some people use an anti spotting agent.
6. It runs a long water cycle.
7. Pull dishes out, and if they are still wet, you have to dry them before you put them up.
8. Put dishes away.
9. And don't forget you need to use that dishwasher cleaner junk to get rid of mineral residue every now and again.

Living Stingy: The Dishwasher is Useless!

My fiancee insists I use the dishwasher at least every other week. She says if I don't, it will seize up and then won't work (as if it does anything now) The rest of the time, I hand wash dishes. This consists of:

1. Eat food.
2. Rinse dish. If it has a lot of food or it's really greasy, you have to give it a good going over with a scrubby.
3. Run hot water and soap in sink. I do several dishes at a time.
4. Rinse on other side of sink. I do several dishes at a time.
5. Hand dry (or use dishwasher only as a drainer).
6. Put the dishes away and call it good.

I save on anti spotting agent, dishwasher cleaner, and hand soap is less expensive.
Some people say that the reason my dishwasher doesn't do a good job is because it's a lousy quality dishwasher. My rebuttal argument is my hands cost a lot less than a supposedly great quality $1000 dishwasher that still takes more expensive supplies than just hand soap plus more effort. But to each her own.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
@OP, I know every other woman is going to think I'm insane, but I believe that dishwashers are the most useless home appliance that has ever been invented. Why? Because they don't do what they claim to do. They don't wash dishes any better than a human being. You wash them yourself, load them yourself, unload them yourself, sometimes even dry them yourself, and you still believe the dishwasher has somehow helped you with this task To me, that's more work than help to us mere mortals.
Yes, I totally agree with you. This has been an ongoing conversation I have had with myself over whether to replace the existing dishwasher or not. This is why- since I have decided to replace the existing 20 year old matching- I refuse to spend more than I have to, and am hoping to find a decent machine on sale.

I have a tiny bungalow kitchen so counter space is at a minimum; I really don't have room for a dish drainer and it drives me nuts to see dirty dishes in the sink. Clearly I could wash items as I use them, dry, and put away, but I also often have to work long hours and am beat when I get home so the very last thing I want to do is to have to wash dishes. I would much rather spend whatever time I have at home with the dogs or gardening, so it is a trade-off and washing dishes loses out on the priority list. Given all that, it is worth it to me to spend the bare minimum necessary to mechanize the chore.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:55 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Yuck. Dishwashers don't just clean they also sanitize. Hand washing does not sanitize because human hands can't take the temperatures required. You are deluding yourself if you think you are using clean dishes when you hand wash.

I loved my whirlpool. When it died I got talked into a Bosch. It was terrible.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:20 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
dishwashers save a LOT of water.

Experts Say Dishwashers Use Less Water than Hand Washing | Digital Trends

Old 05-09-2015, 08:22 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
No frills, just get'em clean dishwasher?

KENMORE

Old 05-09-2015, 08:43 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Bosch. Dishwashers | Stainless Steel Dishwasher | Best Rated Dishwasher
Buy one that has a list price of $940+.
Cleans well. Follow the instructions.
Quiet. A huge factor for me.
Reliable.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:28 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
dont buy nothing but a Bosch

Old 05-09-2015, 09:37 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Don't buy one at all. See post #2.

I've had dishwashers my whole life. They're not even good for storage.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:08 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat a Kenmore. Probabilities are high it's a rebadged Whirlpool but at a much lower price. Years back we recommended Kenmore for our ranch houses. Sears will just about go anywhere to service their products and living out in the country means a lot of the services are not available. For a dishwasher, the most important thing on one is the sani-cycle, make sure it has one and use it. Most water heaters do not provide hot enough water to sanitize the dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House