Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:18 PM

153 posts, read 325,924 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Can you guys recommend me what security light to buy? I was looking at these
Lithonia Lighting Wall-Mount Outdoor Bronze LED Flood Light with Motion Sensor-OFLR 9LN 120 MO BZ M2 - The Home Depot

I work at night, so my gf and mom stays at home. I want them to be safe. We have a really big back yard. I have a dog, but I still want some more lighting around the house. Those are $149 each though. Any cheaper alternatives? I want to stay with led. The reviews on those light is that it is very bright but not good coverage up to 20 feet. How are the reliability with these security lights? I have some that were cheaper before but of course they lose their coverage over the years. I read that these are very well built hence the price.

I was also looking at this one. Lithonia Lighting Wall-Mount Outdoor Bronze LED Area Light-OLAW23 53K 120 PE BZ - The Home Depot

It has better reviews, but this one I have to hang at a higher place because it cover light below and I couldn't turn it to other direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 11:34 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
What's more important two lives or a cheap ass light?

You'll only need one of these-

Hazardous Location Lighting - 400 Watt Metal Halide - Class 1, Division 2 - Permanent Mount - Larson Electronics

It will light up the whole backyard- guaranteed!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I like the "traditional" outdoor flood motion sensing lights. Like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-S.../dp/B00002N5E0

With those you can install LED flood lights and select the color "temperature" as well as the brightness. And replace the bulbs if they go out - don't need an entire new fixture or special bulbs.

Also the LED bulbs are like 13 watts and save on the electric bill.

I have several of these installed around the house and they work just fine providing you read the instructions and understand them. Many of these will turn on constantly if you flip the switch momentarily at night, then need to flip the switch again to get them back into automatic on/off mode.

If that is too complicated for you, an electrician can install these with a different type of sensor which is always motion activated.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:01 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz View Post
I work at night, so my gf and mom stays at home. I want them to be safe.
Vampires don't like light. Criminals don't care.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:50 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
I have the cheapest motion-activated flood lights I could find at Lowe's around my house, and they work great. One $19.99 light with two 60 watt flood lamps will light up a driveway or a good portion of a backyard. I would never spend more than $30 on motion lighting.

Seriously, just buy something like this and get the bulbs separate. You can buy outdoor LED bulbs too. These are so cheap and work so well, I put one on the ceiling in my attic and connected it to the light switch (no motion detection). I went from a single light bulb in a corner of the attic to having two flood lamps that light up the entire attic.

Defiant 110-Degree Outdoor Grey Motion Security-Light-DFI-5408-GR - The Home Depot

Old 07-21-2015, 12:54 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What's more important two lives or a cheap ass light?

You'll only need one of these-

Hazardous Location Lighting - 400 Watt Metal Halide - Class 1, Division 2 - Permanent Mount - Larson Electronics

It will light up the whole backyard- guaranteed!

Made in the USA, awesome! The almost 600.00 price tag is a downer though I was all ready to buy it till I found the price.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Made in the USA, awesome! The almost 600.00 price tag is a downer though I was all ready to buy it till I found the price.
"Hazardous Location" electrical things (aka Explosion Proof) are the MOST expensive electrical things you can buy. These are designed to be safely installed in locations where explosive flammable gas or liquid may be present.

These are designed so that no electrical sparks will escape from the enclosure and no gas or liquid will be able to get inside the enclosure. (Thus they do not cause the facility to blow up.)

The manufacturers of these things many times have the same things in non-Hazardous Location models for much less money.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:46 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Lightbulb Expensive LED outdoor lighting isn't worth it; read the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Seriously, just buy something like this and get the bulbs separate. You can buy outdoor LED bulbs too.
I agree. With the various ways an outdoor light fixture can fail, it's not worth making the investment in an +$100 unit with integrated LED bulbs when you can get non-dimmable LED floodlight bulbs and a light fixture for half that, and the cheap solution is fixable unlike the integrated unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Vampires don't like light. Criminals don't care.
Depends on the criminal, and the crime. Crimes of opportunity can be deterred by motion-triggered lights.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I do not have an7y "security lights".
I do not want to light the way for prowlers.
I want them to stumble around in the dark, tripping over things, falling down, and hopefully breaking some vital body part.
They are trespassing, They do not need light!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Quote:
The almost 600.00 price tag is a downer though
I just bought and had installed the same light fixture for our church parking lot. The fixture cost me $285.00. It lights up a little over an acre, most of it as bright as daylight. Might try an electrical supply house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House