Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Eight years you say? That's the design life on all of the plastic retail crap that is being sold today. YOu can add washers and dryers to the list too. Want better, look at the commercial models and no, it won't have a Maytag, Whirlpool, Sears, GE, or any other common name name on it. Maxx-cool, Sub-zero, True, Traulsen, are a few you might want to look at. These units will last like the old frigs did, twenty plus years. But you won't find them at Lowes, HD, or any other retail location and they won't be $599.99.You have the option on some models to have the compressor and condenser outside so the heat stays outside as well as the noise. The only thing running inside is the circulation fan.

Where do you get such brands as you mentioned like Maxx-cool, etc~? I've never heard of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
There's so many things that it could be.. Unless you feel like taking things apart.. Wait for the repair guy.

8 years with no failure doesn't really mean something is crap. that's honestly not too bad.

I doubt it is the compressor, but.. If it is.. The good news is, Maytag gives a 10 year compressor warranty.. The bad news is.. It only covers the compressor.. The part itself, not the labor to replace it. That's the maytag warranty. .No idea what the extended warranty covers.

You could have an evaporator motor that has failed.. That's pretty common and runs.. about $60 for the part (Your mileage may vary). Is there air moving? If not, evap fan motor is #1 suspect. If air is moving, but it's not cooling.. You start looking at sensors that tell it when to come on.. Neighbors had a side by side GE that had a thermostat that would open at 230 degrees (yeah, in a fridge) for the defroster that apparently got water inside it, which froze, which then swelled it up and opened it permanently. So, the compressor never turned on. About a $13 part and an hour of listening to me cuss and scream trying to wedge myself into the thing to get to the sensor.

Pull it out and if the compressor is easily accessible, lightly touch it.. If the compressor is HOT (It will be warm if running at all) then it's likely toast.

It could also be a refrigerant leak. Usually in the evaporator coil.. That'll be expensive. But, I find that unlikely.

I Google the model number and numerous of people have had the same problem with cooling and freezing. I only mention compressor cause the website of Sears have that item for over $300. I figure that is the biggest part in it and maybe isn't working. I don't know anything and only picked that part to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry your having problems...... Seems like they will say anything to sell thier cheap crap today!!!!

Fact is: Older stuff is MUCH BETTER!!!!!! -- Runs better,more efficent,etc......

I hope the repair guy can get your other one working again

I went to a locally owned appliance store for my appliances when I replaced all. I liked the GE stove and went from there to the GE microwave and then fridge. I forgot why the guy told me the GE fridge is not that good compared to the Magtag, so I picked the Magtag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Well you didn't say if it simply quit freezing/cooling or quit running altogether. Most of the energy savings (for better efficiency ratings such as Energy Star* crap) is achieved by replacing the old bulletproof condenser fan motors with mickey mouse low power garbage motors. If yours simply quit cooling the condenser fan could be out causing the compressor to overheat and cut off. At 8 years old a compressor being out certainly isn't out of the question. Could be a Freon leak. Many have steel condenser lines in the walls and are notoriously bad about springing leaks. They can get leaks anywhere though. Good luck.

I don't know what quit first, the freezer or fridge. It happened out of the blue~! But the old fridge I kept is leaking water at the bottom from time to time, but at least it is working. I think I am going to have to throw out a lot of the freezer items like the fish. It stunk when I was transferring the items to the other fridge and that is why I think it quit working long before I noticed the ice maker not making ice and melting`!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post

I don't know what quit first, the freezer or fridge. It happened out of the blue~! But the old fridge I kept is leaking water at the bottom from time to time, but at least it is working. I think I am going to have to throw out a lot of the freezer items like the fish. It stunk when I was transferring the items to the other fridge and that is why I think it quit working long before I noticed the ice maker not making ice and melting`!

Actually, your ice maker not working should be the first indicator of a problem. Performance must be optimal for the ice maker to function properly.

If your old fridge doesn't have water hooked up to it then your drain pan may need cleaning underneath. Or a drain hose might be out of place. The pan could be out of place or have a hole in it.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Actually, your ice maker not working should be the first indicator of a problem. Performance must be optimal for the ice maker to function properly.

If your old fridge doesn't have water hooked up to it then your drain pan may need cleaning underneath. Or a drain hose might be out of place. The pan could be out of place or have a hole in it.

Well, I didn't know the whole thing was out....just thought the ice-machine was out. A far as the second or old fridge...it is dripping water on the right bottom corner and it fills up with water on the bottom of the fruit/veggie draws. Maybe I should have the tech guy look at it, but I may not. I'm really concerned with this appliance that I may have to replace it. Never again will I ever purchase an extra warranty after the first one expires. I got it in the mail and had trouble from them in the very beginning when they lost my check in the mail to having my fridge as a GE, which was recently. Also, the hassles of calling them I forgot how many times on this issue. They want ME to have the technician to call with the estimated cost of repair but the company told me they can't do that. Long story short, I talked to some gal who was manager or something and I have to call when the tech comes and gives me the estimated cost because they don't use the service people I called. Apparently, they use the lower end of repair people when you pay high dollar~!!!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:07 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Some data

Click image for larger version

Name:	Voila_5.png
Views:	106
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	157271

Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Quote:
Where do you get such brands as you mentioned like Maxx-cool, etc~? I've never heard of them
I buy them at the distributor here. At one time all we made available to our home owners was Sears. The reason was we built a lot in the country. Sears was the only one that would service them. Then Sears and K-Mart merged and quality went in the toilet. Then it was GE but they couldn't make a D/W that could heat the water to sanitize dishes so then it was Whirlpool. That company has no clue what customer service means and NO, they do not make a bad appliance- the home owner had to have screwed it up. So we went to our distributor and got hooked up on commercial grade appliances. I make it an option that we provide the appliances or the buyer can have his delivered and we install them with zero warranty. My distributor keeps us well informed what is going on in the industry, like the 8 year design life. It's like an old oil filter commercial, you can pay now or pay later. We've found commercial appliances last much longer and cost per year to run them is far cheaper than the retail plastic crap. Your money, your house.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I buy them at the distributor here. At one time all we made available to our home owners was Sears. The reason was we built a lot in the country. Sears was the only one that would service them. Then Sears and K-Mart merged and quality went in the toilet. Then it was GE but they couldn't make a D/W that could heat the water to sanitize dishes so then it was Whirlpool. That company has no clue what customer service means and NO, they do not make a bad appliance- the home owner had to have screwed it up. So we went to our distributor and got hooked up on commercial grade appliances. I make it an option that we provide the appliances or the buyer can have his delivered and we install them with zero warranty. My distributor keeps us well informed what is going on in the industry, like the 8 year design life. It's like an old oil filter commercial, you can pay now or pay later. We've found commercial appliances last much longer and cost per year to run them is far cheaper than the retail plastic crap. Your money, your house.

I was just about to Goggle where to get those brands, but I seriously doubt it is available where I am at.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Oh g-r-e-a-t, there isn't much hope then on the other brands either~!

Old 09-07-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Eight years you say? That's the design life on all of the plastic retail crap that is being sold today. YOu can add washers and dryers to the list too. Want better, look at the commercial models and no, it won't have a Maytag, Whirlpool, Sears, GE, or any other common name name on it. Maxx-cool, Sub-zero, True, Traulsen, are a few you might want to look at. These units will last like the old frigs did, twenty plus years. But you won't find them at Lowes, HD, or any other retail location and they won't be $599.99.You have the option on some models to have the compressor and condenser outside so the heat stays outside as well as the noise. The only thing running inside is the circulation fan.

The only brand you mentioned and available in my area is "Sub-Zero". I am sure it is going to be higher than HELL where it is located at~! Thanks for the info too

Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
The problem with most of those commercial refrigerators is that they don't have a freezer, so you'd need a standalone freezer.

Kelvinator commercial reach-in refrigerator single stainless door 18 cft kcbm180rqy - Restauranttory.com

Old 09-07-2015, 08:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
The saying in the commercials used to be "you never need a repair guy for Magtag"...but not anymore cause stuff isn't made like it used to be. My Fridge is totally out and I have a repair guy coming later this week and I just have questions. I first start noticing my ice wasn't coming out. Then I saw I hardly had any ice and it was melting~? The shelves seem cold but later I realized it wasn't so cold and the freezer wasn't cold. I don't know how long this was going on, but perhaps within 24 hours. I've had this 8 years and did buy an extended warranty where I bought it and when that expired I bought another extended warranty from another company. Does anyone think that it could be the compressor~? Or what could it be~?
Get some ice chests with ice to save your food.

Sounds like something really serious like the compressor. But you have an extended warranty, right? Those warranties don't pay for everything, though, I think.

No, they sure don't make things like they used to. When I was shopping for fridges last year, I researched until I was blue in the face. No matter what I like, consumer reviews reported on major problems on almost all of them. The brand didn't matter. The style didn't matter.

I decided to keep my old ugly fridge for the time being, for unrelated reasons. It's over 20 years old & still runs like a dream!

Part of the reason new fridges have problems, I think, are the new energy efficient compressors. They aren't as good. And a lot of parts & appliances are being made in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House