Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times

Advertisements

gotta agree with the OP
We are in the process of re-locating to the South and have done house hunting both in person and via the internet.

I so despise houses that are partially brick that I "X" them out as soon as I read that.
full brick=great
vinyl siding=fine with me
partially brick=absolutely not

I can't think of any thing that immediately makes me drop a house selection quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 07:37 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,289 times
Funny you say that... my house has a brick facade. The exterior design of our house may not have been what we picked if we had built it from scratch. It was a spec home. The brick was a $12K upgrade. I still love my house though.

The weirdest thing I have seen was a house that sits on the corner of the entrance of the neighborhood next to mine. The house has a brick front, brick on the back and brick on the side facing the street, but no brick on the side facing the neighbor. I'm like... ok you've bricked it that far, why don't you just finish that other side? lol

That's my house below.
Attached Thumbnails
brick fronts-house.jpg  

Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
In the Dallas area most of the cities REQUIRE that EVERY building (residential and commercial) be a MAJORITY masonary (brick, stone, stucco, etc). For residential the typical home is required to be at least 75-80% brick. The only parts of the home NOT brick are in some second story sections (you can not put brick on the 2nd story if it sits over a part of the first floor unless extra support is built in). If the area lets you go down to the 75% brick then some builders have the sides of the garage on the outside wall siding (hardyboard, siding, etc). The only homes NOT brick are older frame houses. Our city govt's are pretty strict on this. I don't like a house w/ just a fake brick facade on the front w/ siding on the rest either, yuck.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,474 times
Default house fronts

brick fronts-copy172amhurst2.jpgBrick and stone fronts with cedar siding

brick fronts-06619068a.jpgStucco all around

brick fronts-cambridge01.jpgBrick front with vinyl siding

brick fronts-l61f03641-m0l.jpgVinyl siding all around

Old 02-02-2008, 10:23 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,474 times
The first picture is the best looking one IMHO.It doesn't look cheap at all, maybe the cedar siding makes it look more appealing.The stucco look great also,not much my choice, because of the Midwest seasons.Third house does look cheap now that i look at more closely,but its the norm lately i guess.The fourth house is my second best,because its charming,the dormers stands out.I would poll it,if i know how.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:47 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,289 times
I'll still take my brick front no maintenance house over cracking stucco any day. Nor do I think my house looks "cheesy" because it isn't all brick.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,307 times
I would choose stucco over brick most often, but it would depend upon the style of the house. However, there are plenty of stucco homes that are 90+ years old in the midwest. So there's really no argument for not building with stucco in the Plains or midwest. I lived in an 80+ year old stucco house with no problems. If stucco is applied correctly, it can last for a long, long time with minimal repair/maintenance required, similar to the maintenance/repair of tuckpointing a brick home over time.

I don't personally like the look of a one, two or even three sided brick homes. I'd rather have an exclusively wood or vinyl sided home, or an all brick home over one that's partially this and partially that (unless it's architecturally interesting). The good thing is we all get to choose what appeals to us!

Old 02-02-2008, 03:34 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
Attachment 14053Brick and stone fronts with cedar siding

Attachment 14055Stucco all around

Attachment 14056Brick front with vinyl siding

Attachment 14057Vinyl siding all around

the first home has a very beautifull herringbone brick pattern. Nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House