Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 03:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
In my opinion, this obsession over anything and everything wood is crazy. Wood cups, warps, scratches. I don't really see the need to spend the extra money for a solid wood door. It would not make a single difference in my every day life. The trim in my house is probably MDF. In fact, several contractors recommended using MDF because it doesn't warp. Our front door is fiberglass, which I found easy to clean and maintain. Unlike the wooden door we had at our old house which needed frequent staining. Sometimes the newer things are better to me, and it's not purely out of cost.

There are some things where wood is preferred. Other things like doors doesn't make a difference to me.
Aah--! Your comments got me tapping on my fat ornate "wood" trim to see if it sounded like wood. It doesn't! It has a plasticky surface, and it doesn't sound the way I think wood should. It looks great though! I have fiberglass exterior doors and I really don't like them, because I think they look cheap. However I do agree that they function just fine. I painted a couple of them and I like their looks better than the original dead white.

If I can't have wood for exterior doors, I'd rather have steel, but that's probably just me.

I do admire the old solid, paneled interior doors though. I also agree that they can warp over time. But some of the older fake doors sort of fall apart, and have to be reglued. That has actually happened to us. And if you need to shorten them, doing that is a real pain. DH thinks our present paneled, hollow core doors are better than the ones we had before. But they don't even look like old fashioned doors. Their surfaces are totally smooth all over.

As you state, they function perfectly fine, and it doesn't make a bit of difference to my day to day life. I like viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 04:23 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I would be interested in knowing what balloon framing is, and how it relates to a home burning down in 40 minutes. Thanks for your knowledge.
I didn't read the content of this website, but it has a nice drawing showing the difference between balloon framing and platform framing. (modern houses use platform framing)
Here is the site: Understanding House Framing - Extreme How To

The problem with balloon framing, as ocngypz points out, is that, if there is a fire in the walls, balloon framing acts like a chimney. In a house with platform framing, the inside of the wall isn't open from the basement all the way to the attic.

Edit: I just looked more closely at the drawing at the link I provided. That drawing calls out a fire stop. (actually a "first stop" and a "five stop" but I'm sure they meant "fire stop" LOL) But, they weren't always used.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I didn't read the content of this website, but it has a nice drawing showing the difference between balloon framing and platform framing. (modern houses use platform framing)
Here is the site: Understanding House Framing - Extreme How To

The problem with balloon framing, as ocngypz points out, is that, if there is a fire in the walls, balloon framing acts like a chimney. In a house with platform framing, the inside of the wall isn't open from the basement all the way to the attic.

Edit: I just looked more closely at the drawing at the link I provided. That drawing calls out a fire stop. (actually a "first stop" and a "five stop" but I'm sure they meant "fire stop" LOL) But, they weren't always used.
Thanks!

Could someone living in an older two story house add fire stops?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Could someone living in an older two story house add fire stops?
Yes, but you'd ruin at least some of your plaster, to get into the walls.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Aah--! Your comments got me tapping on my fat ornate "wood" trim to see if it sounded like wood. It doesn't! It has a plasticky surface, and it doesn't sound the way I think wood should. It looks great though! I have fiberglass exterior doors and I really don't like them, because I think they look cheap. However I do agree that they function just fine. I painted a couple of them and I like their looks better than the original dead white.

If I can't have wood for exterior doors, I'd rather have steel, but that's probably just me.

I do admire the old solid, paneled interior doors though. I also agree that they can warp over time. But some of the older fake doors sort of fall apart, and have to be reglued. That has actually happened to us. And if you need to shorten them, doing that is a real pain. DH thinks our present paneled, hollow core doors are better than the ones we had before. But they don't even look like old fashioned doors. Their surfaces are totally smooth all over.

As you state, they function perfectly fine, and it doesn't make a bit of difference to my day to day life. I like viewpoint.
I respect what you like

I guess the more I thought on things, the more I realized that many of the current materials being used aren't so bad (when it comes to everyday life) at all. I love wood decks, for example. Absolutely adore them. If I could construct a deck at our current house, I would. However, the maintenance was a PITA. I have to give the composites a tip of the hat because while they don't have the richness of wood they save on time. The mdf trim doesn't splinter or crack. Fiberglass is easier to clean and doesn't require staining. These things are maligned as being inferior but they do have their pros to match their cons and it isn't just cost.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 AM

The subject of house fires in old and new houses came up on a different forum, and this video was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

This has more to do with modern synthetic furniture vs. older furnishings made with natural materials. But, the same principles would apply to laminate floors, vinyl windows, engineered wood products, (glue) etc. The subject quickly became about the flammability of the structure, itself.

Yes, a fire inside of a balloon framed wall without fire stopping will be catastrophic. But, one could argue that an old house would be safer, in a fire that starts in the living space. (e.g. someone knocks over a burning candle) First, plaster has a higher fire resistance rating than gyp board, so it would take longer for the fire to get to the wood framing. Then, a solid 2x10 joist or 2x6 roof rafter will burn longer before losing their structural integrity, than engineered roof trusses, or TJIs (wood I joists).

Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Luckily though, one's chances of being in a house fire have dropped dramatically. The number of house fires has dropped by 50% since the late 1970's.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Luckily though, one's chances of being in a house fire have dropped dramatically. The number of house fires has dropped by 50% since the late 1970's.
That's certainly a good thing. But, they still happen.

I have a co-worker who had a house built. Less than a year after completion, he had a major house fire; his adult daughter's puppy chewed some wires. Although, the house didn't burn to the ground, he still had everything demolished, except the basement walls, and started over.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I respect what you like

I guess the more I thought on things, the more I realized that many of the current materials being used aren't so bad (when it comes to everyday life) at all. I love wood decks, for example. Absolutely adore them. If I could construct a deck at our current house, I would. However, the maintenance was a PITA. I have to give the composites a tip of the hat because while they don't have the richness of wood they save on time. The mdf trim doesn't splinter or crack. Fiberglass is easier to clean and doesn't require staining. These things are maligned as being inferior but they do have their pros to match their cons and it isn't just cost.
Yes to all.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The subject of house fires in old and new houses came up on a different forum, and this video was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

This has more to do with modern synthetic furniture vs. older furnishings made with natural materials. But, the same principles would apply to laminate floors, vinyl windows, engineered wood products, (glue) etc. The subject quickly became about the flammability of the structure, itself.

Yes, a fire inside of a balloon framed wall without fire stopping will be catastrophic. But, one could argue that an old house would be safer, in a fire that starts in the living space. (e.g. someone knocks over a burning candle) First, plaster has a higher fire resistance rating than gyp board, so it would take longer for the fire to get to the wood framing. Then, a solid 2x10 joist or 2x6 roof rafter will burn longer before losing their structural integrity, than engineered roof trusses, or TJIs (wood I joists).
Watching the modern room go up in total flame in a little over 3 minutes was an eye opener. It might have been good to have a list of the furnishings in the modern room to know what it was that was so flammable.

You really do need to have a working fire alarm in your house, people. The newer codes want them over the door or in every bed room. I can certainly see why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House