Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Sign is a bit confusing. I did not know SA picked up, especially curbside. The "take all" part of the sign seems to imply it's free for the picking, but the "SA" part would have my scratching my head wondering if the pile was being donated by the SA for people to pick up?

As you can tell, I don't donate much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 AM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times
It doesn't surprise me that people drove by and took what they wanted from the pile. If the owners had wanted to make sure that the Salvation Army received the items, they should have scheduled a specific time for a pick up. In my opinion, if you leave things out by the curb where the trash gets picked up, it's fair game.

We bought a house 6 months ago and we've done several curbside "drops" and EVERYTHING we have put out there has been taken. Roofing shingles, moving boxes, old ceiling fans, planters, an ugly water fountain thing that had a family of lizards living in it, a box of drapes, etc, etc. I make my husband haul stuff out there and he swears no one is going to take it then lo and behold, a few hours goes by and my curb is clean again, LOL.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
People giving away stuff at curb are funny. I was driving by and saw a guy just put out an end table. I pull over a few houses past and I cant back up as one way.

I go back to inspect and guy comes out. It was a bit junky but I said I was taking it as wife could fix it up we need it for a bedroom. Then he goes I have a better one I was thinking of giving away let me get it. Now I got two, he goes where is your car. I go around a few houses up. All at once he goes you grab one I grab the other.

I just bought a new Cadillac a few weeks earlier. Guy was like that is an awful nice car to be picking up used furniture for your house. I then say not my house, my beach condo. I rent it out in summer and I need an end table as I rent it furnished. Guy goes ok, put it in car and walks away a bit sad. Not my fault.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:23 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
Whoever took the stuff either needs the stuff or needs the money from selling the stuff. Therefore the same purpose was served as the Salvation Army putting it in their store and selling it.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
At least in my city, anything placed on the curb is officially considered "trash" and therefore fair game for anyone looking for freebies.

As others have said, at least it's gone; they weren't getting money for it anyway?
Anything abandoned on the city right of way belongs to the city. If it's of obvious value, the street crew might haul it to a warehouse for a surplus auction, but generally they will just haul it to the landfill. If there is a fee for disposal, like tires, mattresses and such, the property owner may get a bill.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:45 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
People giving away stuff at curb are funny. I was driving by and saw a guy just put out an end table. I pull over a few houses past and I cant back up as one way.

I go back to inspect and guy comes out. It was a bit junky but I said I was taking it as wife could fix it up we need it for a bedroom. Then he goes I have a better one I was thinking of giving away let me get it. Now I got two, he goes where is your car. I go around a few houses up. All at once he goes you grab one I grab the other.

I just bought a new Cadillac a few weeks earlier. Guy was like that is an awful nice car to be picking up used furniture for your house. I then say not my house, my beach condo. I rent it out in summer and I need an end table as I rent it furnished. Guy goes ok, put it in car and walks away a bit sad. Not my fault.
I did the same thing! Caddie. It was a put out. I learned from experience if I liked something and felt polite and waited a bit, the item would be taken by someone else. I got a few really great things that you wouldn't find in the usual store. Yes, got the eye...loading wicker etc from the sidewalk into the caddie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House