Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 17,859 times

Advertisements

I need some advice about my neighbor who weed wacks the bottom of my fence which is within my property line and is slowly destroying the bottom portion of my fence. I paid for the fence entirely, he weed wacks the grass on his side of my fence. I want to be civil and resolve this, can any body give me some sound possibly legal advice?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-24-2016 at 11:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 10:35 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Hhaha - I dunno. I kinda hate the three of my neighbors who put up fences on three sides of me - forcing me to spend a lot of time weed whacking when it'd been soooo much easier just using my hand mower. So THEY made MY life hell and also blocked up nice views across an otherwise large open expanse.

No sympathy - YOU could offer to trim HIS side - that would solve your problem.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:18 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuplifting View Post
I want to be civil and resolve this, can any body give me some sound possibly legal advice?
Offer to trim it for him or put in and maintain some rock around the fence edge. If the fence is within your property line, then it is your yard that he is attempting to maintain for you.

What would you like him to do?

Old 02-21-2016, 02:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Don't know how close you put your fence line on the property line, but basically whats on their side of the fence is their business. You created the obstruction, and now you have to live with it.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:43 PM

563 posts, read 1,786,683 times
What do you mean "destroy"? What exactly is happening to your fence for it to be "destroyed"? And what exactly is your fence made of, for it to become "destroyed"?

Old 02-21-2016, 04:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuplifting View Post
I need some advice about my neighbor who weed wacks the bottom of my fence which is within my property line and is slowly destroying the bottom portion of my fence. I paid for the fence entirely, he weed wacks the grass on his side of my fence. I want to be civil and resolve this, can any body give me some sound possibly legal advice?
There is available some corrugated metal strip about 6” high that can be placed around things like flower beds or garden areas to keep the grass out of the area. If you place this along his side of the fence it should keep his weed-wacker from harming your fence. I’ve seen this type of “trim” in both plastic and metal about 6 and 8 inches high and in rolls about 8 foot long. Just push the trim into the ground at the bottom of the fence to hold it in place. The link below isn’t metal but it’s something that should also do the job for you at a reasonable price.

Master Mark Terrace Board 5 in. x 40 ft. Brown Landscape Lawn Edging with Stakes-95340 - The Home Depot

This next link is a piece of corrugated steel roof panel but as you see it’s a little over 2 ft high and 12 ft long, but it’s something that might help if you could the right size.

Shop Union Corrugating 2.33-ft x 12-ft Corrugated Steel Roof Panel at Lowes.com

If the neighbor sees your new edging along the fence he'll get the idea that you want to protect it, also the material for the edging is less money to spend than replacing the fence itself.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Curious what the fence is made of and how it's being damaged.

I can see something like vinyl being damaged by a powerful trimmer.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:30 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
You could always spray with roundup along the fence to keep it clean.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
We had the vinyl cover at the base of a basketball goal destroyed by a careless yard guy with a Weed Eater. We had to replace it and start spraying Round Up at the base just to keep him away from it.

(Photo is not our yard, BTW )

OP, there is no way to trim the weeds without hitting the fence occasionally, so you need to somehow keep the grass away from the fence so he doesn't have to.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:10 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You could always spray with roundup along the fence to keep it clean.
This is my answer.
If you don't know what RoundUP is, it's a strong weed killer that will kill anything in it's path! Find it at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

Shop Roundup Pump-N-Go 170.24-oz Extended Control Weed and Grass Killer Plus Preventer Pump 'N Go at Lowes.com

fairly cheap too, compared to fixing your fence!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House