Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

If your fence is entirely on your property line, then you should be maintaining the portion of your property that is on the outside of your fence. If you do it frequently enough, your neighbor would not be weed-whacking up against your fence. In many places where a fence is installed within the perimeter of one's property, zoning demands that you leave 6" to 12" so that you can maintain your fence on the outside without trespassing on your neighbors' properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
I suggest putting little shards of glass and sharp rocks all around the base of the fence, so that your neighbor gets cut by flying debris when he's trimming the grass towards your fence. You could also put an electrical wire there so it'll send a jolt up the weedeater if he accidentally touches the fence. If that doesn't work, chain pit bulls to the fence so he won't come near.

But first, why not be neighborly and just politely bring it up to him? Maybe you can put a little 3" tall garden border along the base of the fence to take the blows instead of your fence? Or put gravel or dirt at the base instead of grass, as others previously mentioned.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 17,859 times
Thanks for positive information and responding to my post. As for the negative folks replies, my fence is made of cedar and on my property, my neighbor is just spending more than enough time grinding into my wood fence with his weed wacker, not just trimming the grass but allowing the wacker to slowly grind the woodat the base ground level making an approximate one inch gap between the ground and the bottom of my fence. I think I'll install some 6 inch high sheet metal along his side of my fence, that will look real nice!!!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,590 times
I am 1foot from property line ,this neighbor keeps mowing and weed wacking my pvc fence,what should i do, i am very afraid of him!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risheppard View Post
I am 1foot from property line ,this neighbor keeps mowing and weed wacking my pvc fence,what should i do, i am very afraid of him!
If you're saying your fence is inside the property line by one foot and your neighbor is taking it upon himself to mow/maintain that area/strip- "don't look a gift horse in the mouth!".

But, you could say "thank you" for maintaining the area and ask to be a little more forgiving of the fence- ITS THAT EASY! If you get resistance, just let him know that you will be sure to keep the area maintained- and do it!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risheppard View Post
Stop being afraid of him and tell him to leave your property alone and then you maintain that 1'.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
If you aren't going to keep the grass on his side trimmed, then you have to expect that he will do it. If you don't want him to trim there, then you need to keep it neat and well trimmed.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:20 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
If you go over onto the neighbors side to maintain your fence then you need your neighbors permission to be on his yard to do it. If he's a negative type then he could press trespassing charges on you. Just sayin'.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:04 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If you're saying your fence is inside the property line by one foot and your neighbor is taking it upon himself to mow/maintain that area/strip- "don't look a gift horse in the mouth!".

But, you could say "thank you" for maintaining the area and ask to be a little more forgiving of the fence- ITS THAT EASY! If you get resistance, just let him know that you will be sure to keep the area maintained- and do it!
I think this is the civil option. You could also show him the protective barrier ideas listed in the earlier posts and discuss ways to get what you both want....he wants a trim yard, you want to protect your fence. Collaborating does work and no one wins or loses.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
If you continue to permit your neighbor, without your consent, to maintain that foot of your property for a set number of years as determined by your state, you could lose it in an adverse possession suit.

If you are so afraid of your neighbor that you cannot even maintain your property out of fear, then you need to get an attorney involved. OR, you can begin taking care of your land. It's really quite simple: use it or lose it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House