Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:55 PM

51 posts, read 60,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
We had a Samsung wardrobe-style fridge with the extra drawer for drinks/snacks, etc. I freaking LOVED this refrigerator. We just moved and I wanted to take it with us, but with our housing negotiation we ended up leaving it to the new buyers. As soon as I can buy a new fridge, I am buying another one just like it.

We also had a Samsung HE washer and dryer. I was extremely happy with both of them. I know some people don't like HE washers and complain about mold/mildew, but the installer we had gave me a tip -- just place a towel over the door of the washer, so it doesn't close all the way. I bought an inexpensive beach towel from Target that matched the colors I had painted the laundry room and just left it on the door all the time, except, obviously, when the washer was washing a load of clothes. I never had any problems whatsoever with mold or mildew. (We took those with us in our move.)
Thanks! Not concerned about the mold/mildew. However, I have heard from several people that HE washers don't really wash/rinse clothes very well and leave detergent in the clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 03:22 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshjain82 View Post
Thanks! Not concerned about the mold/mildew. However, I have heard from several people that HE washers don't really wash/rinse clothes very well and leave detergent in the clothes.
I have read great things about Speed Queen top loading washers in threads on C-D. I can't vouch for them, but when our front loading washer dies, we will head back to top loading washers and Speed Queen is on my list to check out.

Please post what you find.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:26 PM

51 posts, read 60,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I have read great things about Speed Queen top loading washers in threads on C-D. I can't vouch for them, but when our front loading washer dies, we will head back to top loading washers and Speed Queen is on my list to check out.

Please post what you find.
I have looked into Speed Queen and definitely would have gone for it if I had a budget of ~$1600-1800. I am looking for a W/D set close to ~$800-900.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I have had the best luck with Kenmore, Whirlpool, and Maytag - I'm not interested in fancy bells and whistles, though.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:57 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
anything but fridgere, the best dishwasher is a bosch

Old 03-02-2016, 06:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I had all Kenmore appliances in my kitchen but will never have another one. Microwave died after two years and I replaced it with a Samsung that I got from HH Gregg. Excellent service.

Gas stove is literally falling apart as in pieces are falling off. Parts are also coming off of the fridge. Both are approximately 4 years old.

We replaced our Maytag w/d with an Electrolux and we are very pleased. A little pricey but we have a second floor laundry and Electrolux was the only recommended washer for upstairs. I looked into Speed Queen, which is pricey, but was told they were not appropriate for a second floor.

We went to an independent dealer when we were looking for our new w/d and I would suggest going to one that has been in business for many years and the sales people really know the products.

I don't think anyone can really recommend a specific brand just because you never know what will work out well for someone else.

The OP might want to go to Costco, BJ's, or Sam's and see the appliance suites that they have.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Depending on how much electric rates are in your area, an Energy Star refrigerator of less than 25 cubic feet, freezer on top and ice maker in the freezer is one of the least expensive to run. After my DH carefully calculated this, I also stipulated that it needs to be white, not stainless steel or black. We'd had both before and those colors are sheer fingerprint magnets.

We went off to town to pick up a washer and dryer from Craig's List. Nice newish set, they'd gotten fancy red ones for Christmas and just wanted to get rid of the old ones. It was $200 for both of them and they work well even though they are a plain boring white and not a festive red. I don't know how Craig's List is in your area, it's pretty good in ours.

On the way home, we dropped by Home DePot to look at nail guns, we are doing a major restoration of a house built in '51 and nail guns are great things. However, after looking at nail guns, we also looked at refrigerators. Hey! He found one! Energy Star, 24.5 cubic feet, freezer on top, ice maker in the freezer and white! (I'd not realized how few white refrigerators are out there these days). It was a returned refrigerator since it had gotten a dent down near the bottom while it was being delivered. No worries, it hardly shows, but it had a discount for being returned. It had a discount for being damaged. It had a discount for being a discontinued model. It had a discount because of the pre-Christmas sale (this was a week before Christmas), It had a discount for being an over $500 sale. It started out as an $1,600 refrigerator, by the time my DH and the sales clerk got done with all their fussing with paperwork, it had turned into a $520 refrigerator. Then, since it was over $500, it got free delivery. AND because we were turning in the old non-Energy Star refrigerator we got a $100 rebate from the electric company. (Although I don't know why they'd give us a rebate for not using their services, but I didn't ask.) So, when it was all said and done, it came out to $420 delivered with the old refrigerator hauled away to boot.

So we were all happy with ourselves and were eagerly waiting for two days before Christmas when it would be delivered.

Did I mention it was a fifties house we're restoring? The original refrigerator is about three quarters to maybe half the size of the behemoth that was delivered. Here's the original refrigerator tucked behind the 30" wide kitchen door. This picture was taken when we were doing the initial walk through with the Realtor. This is the original refrigerator, it's probably a 1970's vintage.

This is the new fridge in the kitchen, it just overwhelms the space. We not only had to take the door off the hinges to get it inside, we had to take the trim off the doorway as well. It definitely wasn't gonna fit where the old refrigerator had been.

So we pulled the soffit off above the cabinets, moved the cabinet doors above the stove up and installed the refrigerator where the stove used to be and put the stove where the refrigerator used to be. It actually helped with the problem of how to reach into the corner of the counter that had been blocked by the refrigerator.

The new refrigerator still stuck out into the kitchen space quite a bit since it's much deeper than the 24" deep cabinets. This house is 'single wall' which is a construction technique common in older houses in Hawaii. All the walls - interior and exterior - are made of one layer of vertical 1" x 8" boards. No worries about if there's wiring or plumbing in the walls since the walls are solid wood. So, I just cut a hole in the wall to push the refrigerator into.

That set the refrigerator back into the wall by a foot and I used the bump out as an anchor to a row of shelves and the shelves sort of hide the bump out. This is in the wall between the kitchen and the back bedroom.

Seems kinda odd to think of building shelves as part of a refrigerator installation, but I guess everything is connected.

It doesn't loom like it used to and it doesn't use much power and we can now reach the corner that the old refrigerator used to block.

Of course, all this doesn't help you with which brand of refrigerator to buy, but sometimes it is what ever is on sale.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 03-02-2016 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 07:36 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
anything but fridgere, the best dishwasher is a bosch
Bosch will cost you an arm and a leg to repair.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:38 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I had an LG front load washer with the matching dryer. The motor on the washer went out twice in 5yrs.
LG = Literally Garbage

Old 03-02-2016, 08:16 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
LG = Literally Garbage
So true.....worst brand out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House