Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Oh I mean the neighborhood has a higher than average income. I don't have the same income. My heat and property taxes are subsidized.

Hmmmmmmm.......better stop revealing these details now......you are stepping into territorywhere you are going to start getting flamed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 09:54 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Here's a tip...contractors can sniff out a problem customer within 15 seconds over the phone. A savvy contractor's primary consideration will be if they want the customer and the project.

Another tip...you're the common denominator for all the failed transactions and frustration.

The only contractors who are going to consider having a customer that thinks they know what the scope of work is and what it should cost are large expensive companies. Small companies, the smart ones at least, don't have time for the level of managing that problem customers require.

Oldtrader did a great job summing up the proper frame of mind needed to be a great customer.
Ok, time to hijack again....

How can a contractor sniff out a problem customer when they A) don't answer the phone and so are relying on a message of "Hi, my name is Brian, phone is xxx, I'm looking to have XYZ done and would like to talk with you about having the work done and possible costs. This is Brian and phone is xxx.", and B) never call back?

That's my biggest issue, right there. I'm the common denominator as I'm the *only* denominator in the majority of these cases. Care to pontificate as to why? Those folks I can get to return a call/show up, I hire (almost universally, certainly better than 90% of the time).

The rare contractor I do get to talk with me (in person, phone is just a time to schedule their time to do an inspection/measurement/etc... in person) gets a few different variables, the most recent was a re-roof. The initial visit was to find out a Rough estimate so we could budget, at $14k we needed time to save the money and I told them in no uncertain terms, both on the phone and in person, that it would be multiples of months before we could move forward, I was aware the contract could change to accommodate materials costs, etc... I also asked for more stuff than they would have normally quoted, such as drip-edges (every edge was rotten), and I wanted to make sure they used the heavier felt paper, replaced every vent boot, etc. If I'm going to hire someone, I want the best job I can afford with the hopes it'll last longer, the difference is how long till I have the funds to pay. I limited their "open check" on decking repair with a requirement to consult me before any purchases (and was on-site the entire time they were, not exactly hard to ask and point out the issue) and a fixed hourly rate wage that was above and beyond the quote. Paid for all the materials upfront too, so they didn't have to carry any debt/bills.

My underlying belief is that I do my best to treat anyone I hire, as I would expect to be treated by any customer of mine (MC mechanic). Perhaps this is a flaw because I also Expect to be treated (and have the quality of workmanship) be on par with how I treat others and do my job... maybe it shows?

Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Hmmmmmmm.......better stop revealing these details now......you are stepping into territorywhere you are going to start getting flamed
I shouldn't be and anyone that wants to flame me for being a hard working single mom, than really they are the ones with issues...

I work 50 hours a week. Bought a foreclosure that needed tons of work because that is what I could afford, and if someone wants to fault me... They can go love themselves...

Old 03-18-2016, 10:34 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Around here the contractors will pick between the best jobs. If you have a job that will net them 10k profit and someone else has one that will net them 20k they wont call you back. Also if a job is "hard" they wont bother. A few years ago my chimney was leaking (big hole rotted through at the water runoff line) and I called my insurance. They told me to get a quote and they would pay it. I called around and it would have taken precision maneuvering of a cherry picker to get through the tree limbs to the top of the 2 story chimney. The insurance company called me a month later asking where the quote was and I freaked out "IM STILL TRYING TO GET ONE!!!."

Old 03-18-2016, 01:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
For the record, I also have a problem paying someone with a high school diploma (or less) four times per hour what I'm making after five years of college and twenty years of experience just to screw on some shutters or whatever the fix is. They take advantage of "helpless" women and, while I suppose that's our bad for being helpless, people buy lots of goods and services for convenience without being criminally ripped off in the process.

Let the rotten tomatoes fly!

Old 03-18-2016, 01:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I shouldn't be and anyone that wants to flame me for being a hard working single mom, than really they are the ones with issues...

I work 50 hours a week. Bought a foreclosure that needed tons of work because that is what I could afford, and if someone wants to fault me... They can go love themselves...
Not flaming.....But since you mentioned it I am curious. How, while working 50 hours per week,and driving a luxury vehicle, as you have mentioned, do you get any kind of subsidy for heat and property taxes? Or did I misread something?

Old 03-18-2016, 01:18 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Not flaming.....But since you mentioned it I am curious. How, while working 50 hours per week,and driving a luxury vehicle, as you have mentioned, do you get any kind of subsidy for heat and property taxes? Or did I misread something?
All anyone has to do is file a schedule with their 1040 to get their income down.

I always "0" out on the bottom line.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
For the record, I also have a problem paying someone with a high school diploma (or less) four times per hour what I'm making after five years of college and twenty years of experience just to screw on some shutters or whatever the fix is. They take advantage of "helpless" women and, while I suppose that's our bad for being helpless, people buy lots of goods and services for convenience without being criminally ripped off in the process.

Let the rotten tomatoes fly!
Working with your hands is a lot harder than any job that only requires college... Try doing manual labor then your pampered pansyself will be willing to pay someone to do the job.

I recently spent two weekends removing a ceramic kitchen tile floor, sanding the subfloor and relaying a new floor. I have never been so sore in my life.

I am not convinced that it won't be me taking a vacation day and removing the existing roof to save some money.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:40 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
"Working with your hands is a lot harder than any job that only requires college... Try doing manual labor then your pampered pansyself will be willing to pay someone to do the job."

I don't want to stand at a counter flipping hamburgers all day, either (that's why I expended the time, money, and energy to go to college), but they're not charging me $100 for a hamburger.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Qualification is based on income. Not what you drive. I net under the allowed income level. It also helps I have about $500k in mortgages on less than $40k income. Add in a couple kids and my tax bracket is like -15%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House