Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Don't think I'm racist and please don't take this the wrong way, but I've found over the years that Hispanics have the best work ethic. I almost always look for Hispanic contractors, especially if I can hire them away from their bosses and eliminate the middle man.

If you notice a roofing job in the neighborhood go and talk to the guys up there busting their tails. I've hired some good people for pretty reasonable fees that way.

When you hire someone treat them like human beings. I always feed my workers with good home cooked meals. They usually eat fast food crap every day I set up a cooler with plenty of water and other drinks and I tell them to please feel free to come in and use the facilities whenever they need to.

Once you have that good rapport with a contractor then they're like gold. I did have one that I worked with off and on for over ten years that totally screwed us. It turned out that he was on drugs and spent the money that I had given him on his personal bills. He then bought the materials with a bad check that bounced and did such a terrible job that I had to fire him half way through the job and hire someone else to fix it. We were lucky that we were able to salvage the material and that the company that he stole the materials from didn't put a lien on our property. It was a 2k theft. I sued him and won a judgement and he paid us a couple of hundred dollars before he filed bankruptcy. He eventually moved out of state.

Lesson learned. I put the cost of all the materials on our credit card. We benefit from the miles and the contractors only get paid when I'm happy.

I'm in the process of looking for a good concrete contractor and our friends husband does it. I've been waiting for an estimate from him since last year. Doh!
I would agree with you on the hispanic work ethic. I have seen how hard they work. I just have one problem with hiring them. I do not know if they are here illegally or not. I have a huge issue with forking over money to a contractor who is using illegal help. I became a U.S. Citizen by going through all of the proper channels. i do not believe that anyone gets to use shortcuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 11:31 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I bet you will pay $75 to get your hair done that takes about an hour without a blink of an eye though

I could say so much about your comment but it's not worth it. Good luck though Paco standing outside of home depot will do all your work for $100 a day.
Lol. Yup you are right!

I wish I could find Paco in front of Home Depot. Where are these mythical handymen?

Old 03-19-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I will be impressed when you drill your own well..........keep me updated.......please.
I am thinking of replacing my well pump by myself. Think it's possible?

Old 03-19-2016, 11:37 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
For the record, I also have a problem paying someone with a high school diploma (or less) four times per hour what I'm making after five years of college and twenty years of experience just to screw on some shutters or whatever the fix is. They take advantage of "helpless" women and, while I suppose that's our bad for being helpless, people buy lots of goods and services for convenience without being criminally ripped off in the process.
What you are not realizing that to become a journeyman in many trades, takes more time and effort than you put forth getting your college degree. Plus the tests they had to take to get their journeyman card, was harder than any you had to take to get your degree. The big difference is, you paid for your education and they had to take a low salary while getting theirs.

You are looking for a cheap contractor. Boy does that turn out to be a mistake for many people. That so often turns out to be a fly by night rip off artist. It costs a contractor a lot of money to operate their business. Legitimate contractors bids are not going to be far apart, as they have to be competitive and at the same time make a low salary while getting their education.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Look, OP, basically you bought a huge money pit fixer-upper that was well outside your financial means. You were only able to buy it with family assistance and it needed significant work (i.e. plumbing so you could have running water) just to make it livable. You're currently upside down in terms of income vs mortgage liability, yet you drive a "luxury" car while receiving heat and property tax subsidies. Basically you're looking for bargain contractor services to address major home maintenance issues, such as the roof and siding replacement. You're not going to find them, or if you do, you're going to end up spending more than you should because you will get substandard materials and a substandard contractor who will cut corners and you'll be back in the same position in just a few years. You could always sell that "luxury" car and put that money toward those necessary repairs - heck, you can drive a beater, but you need a solid home.
Lol my house is outside of my budget, but in the end it will pay off in a big way. FYI- all repairs I make are paid for in CASH. So yes, I can hand a contractor $100 bills for work performed. Not many homeowners with high salaries can say that... So go love yourself.

And once again I am not looking for the low priced guy. I know enough about building to know quality work. I am looking for the guy that falls into the range the job should cost and does good work.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
. Legitimate contractors bids are not going to be far apart, as they have to be competitive and at the same time make a low salary while getting their education.
See and that is not the case. I had like the countries third largest contractor out, he wanted $96k. Had another guy want $36k. It should be roughly $25k. Still waiting for the other 4 people to give me numbers.

I have had 5 estimates on just the roof all between, $11k and $42k. For a 34 sq roof, with black architectural shingles. The roof is not steep or difficult to walk across. Estimates have been all over the place.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:55 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Well, I AM one of the homeowners who can pay for all repairs with cash, so don't insult me with your "go love yourself" riposte. As I said before, I have a trusted network of reputable contractors who respond promptly when I call them. They provide me with fair quotes and do excellent work for me, and have done so for the past 14 years I have owned this house.

So, since you need major repairs on your house, how are you planning to determine what the job SHOULD cost and simultaneously find someone who does good work that is compatible with your "slim" budget? Especially since you can't seem to find a reputable contractor who will even return your calls?

Old 03-19-2016, 12:36 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am thinking of replacing my well pump by myself. Think it's possible?
Tell me more about your well..........size....is the pump IN the well.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Tell me more about your well..........size....is the pump IN the well.
Dug sometime around/ slightly before 1973. Pump is in the well. No idea the depth, as it is unmarked.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:03 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Dug sometime around/ slightly before 1973. Pump is in the well. No idea the depth, as it is unmarked.
Check with your local health department............they might have a record.

What you need to know is the length of the drop pipe.

You might be able to pull it by hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House