Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 02:40 PM

122 posts, read 134,240 times

Advertisements

Ok I have looked up videos and read up on different things about septic tanks and drain fields but I want to make sure I understand this...

I moved into a home that has what I believe is an aerobic septic tank. Haven't removed the lids yet so not sure on year and size of septic tank... I was pointed out by a farmer where my sprinklers were .. I have found two and was told there is three total.. So the length of sprinkler head there is perforated sewer pipe below? Because it runs like over 50 feet in a linear path behind my fenced in back yard.. Which seems pretty far to me but may be some kind of code why it was run that far back?

And so the sprinklers serve to spread the waste water throughout the dirt so it doesn't just stay in one spot? So the sprinklers don't HAVE to run in order for the system to be functional?

And how deep should the sewer pipe be below ground? Can I travel a cross the linear line with a vehicle as long as I don't run over the sprinkler head?

Just trying to understand this... Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 02:53 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
I have septic. You should be having your septic serviced once per quarter. I would find out who is doing it, and have them come out and run you through the ins and outs. The sprinklers disperse the water, and it is chlorinated.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:15 PM

225 posts, read 519,605 times
the sprinklers have to run to empty the tank, it's only going to hold about 500 gallons of grey water. The system should be on a timer to go off every night. You should have three tanks solids tank > aeration tank > grey water tank and then that gets pump to your field. There is a box that will have the aerator air pump and the pump timer near your house. You need to put in specialized chlorine tablets (i use these from Lowes Shop Norweco 32-Pack 160-oz Drain Cleaner Drop-In Tablets at Lowes.com) into the grey water tank. There should be perforated tube in the tank that will hold the tablets..the water from the aeration tank will flow over these tablets to slowly dissolve them. These will neutralize any bacteria and odors before it's pumped out.

The PVC pipe is probably buried 8-10 inches under the ground.. should be safe to drive over but don't quote me on that.

For the distance question you had, you want the sprinklers as far away as possible, you dont want waste water spraying at your back door.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6023 View Post
Ok I have looked up videos and read up on different things about septic tanks and drain fields but I want to make sure I understand this...

I moved into a home that has what I believe is an aerobic septic tank. Haven't removed the lids yet so not sure on year and size of septic tank... I was pointed out by a farmer where my sprinklers were .. I have found two and was told there is three total.. So the length of sprinkler head there is perforated sewer pipe below? Because it runs like over 50 feet in a linear path behind my fenced in back yard.. Which seems pretty far to me but may be some kind of code why it was run that far back?

And so the sprinklers serve to spread the waste water throughout the dirt so it doesn't just stay in one spot? So the sprinklers don't HAVE to run in order for the system to be functional?

And how deep should the sewer pipe be below ground? Can I travel a cross the linear line with a vehicle as long as I don't run over the sprinkler head?

Just trying to understand this... Thanks.
You're confusing 2 different types of septic systems. If you've got sprinkler heads you have an aerobic septic system, if you have perforated pipe you have a conventional drain field but you won't have both.

Since you've already found 2 sprinkler heads you are dealing with an aerobic system, pretty common for our area.

There is a timer/controller somewhere for the system that has a timer on it, they're typically programmed to run in the middle of the night when nobody is in the yard. There is also a float in the pump tank which will let the controller know if it needs to pump out during the day because of high water usage. Your sprinkler heads should be laid out in larger areas of your yard because you've got to cover a certain minimum sq. footage of grass with each sprinkler head, this assures that you aren't putting too much in any certain area. Depending on your county there are other regulations about how close you can spray to things like trees, gardens, pools, your home and water wells. The sprinkler heads will run in a functional system, there's no way around it. The only perforated pipe you'll find on your system is where the chlorination or disinfection portion is located, you'll have to add septic tabs to it to disinfect the water running from the aerobic tank to the pump tank.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:45 PM

122 posts, read 134,240 times
Themoreyouknow. Thanks for clarification. And you are right. I was confusing two different types of systems. Got it now though. Thanks bud...

I'll look and see what I can find and give you guys an update..

I'm going to stick my head in these hatches and report back what I find..

This is the model number 600nc3t
Attached Thumbnails
Help me understand the basics of septic systems....   Please...-image.jpg  

Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 PM

225 posts, read 519,605 times
the clearstream are backwards... the middle tank is the grey water tank that pumps out to the field.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:37 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6023 View Post
Themoreyouknow. Thanks for clarification. And you are right. I was confusing two different types of systems. Got it now though. Thanks bud...

I'll look and see what I can find and give you guys an update..

I'm going to stick my head in these hatches and report back what I find..

This is the model number 600nc3t
In case you haven't already found this, here's the full manual on that system. Be careful sticking your head down in any of those hatches, methane gas isn't a joke.

http://www.clearstreamsystems.com/pdf/NC3T_Book.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of: