Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:15 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times

Advertisements

We are finally selling our condo and the inspector found out that we need two new GFCI outlets. One in kitchen (standard plug) and one in bathroom (has GFCI but apparently inspector said it's not working)

It is a rental property and currently occupied. At this point we will need an electrician come in and fix it.

For the bathroom I'm guessing it's a straight easy sway to replace the non working GFCI outlet.

But for the kitchen, to upgrade from standard outlet to GFCI, how involved is it? Is it just stripping of a few wires, grounding it, etc. Or are we looking at total rewiring back to breaker box. Some bids I have received make me think they want to rewire and remove drywall from the walls, etc.

So what would be a starting price to fix this issue? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,661,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
But for the kitchen, to upgrade from standard outlet to GFCI, how involved is it? Is it just stripping of a few wires, grounding it, etc.
Maybe.

Quote:
Or are we looking at total rewiring back to breaker box.
Maybe.

Quote:
Some bids I have received make me think they want to rewire and remove drywall from the walls, etc.
Its possible.

Quote:
So what would be a starting price to fix this issue?
You never know what your getting into until you start looking at the wires. It will cost, what it costs. No one here can tell you what is behind your walls.

Personally, I would replace the GFCI in the bathroom myself, $8 and ignore the fridge. Its grandfathered, and its fine. If teh new owner wants to upgrade and bing it up to current code, its up to them.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
First I strongly recommend that you READ UP on what a GFCI does and how it works. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs):

In a very technical sense it is a MECHANICAL device that can "wear out" over time thus the need to TEST them periodically and REPLACE them when the mechanical bits (literally springs and such) are no longer effective in helping to keep people safe.

There is NO NEED to use an electrician to replace an older GFCI that has worn out. It is a very simple and straightforward task that is no different from replacing any other outlet or switch. The local hardware stores and big box stores sell this is "consumer" packaging with detailed instruction. Replacing a GFCI Outlet

There is NO REASON to ever consider a bid that suggests replacing wiring back to the electrical panel! This is a red flag that the bidder is attempting to pump up costs for very likely NO BENEFIT to the home owners. This article from the well regarded This Old House explains that even if there is no ground it is still safe for a GFCI to replace and older style outlet, it should carry a label stating "No Equipment Ground" primarily so that folks using more sensitive equipment understand the limitations -- Replacing Two-Prong Receptacles | Electrical | Plumbing, HVAC & Electrical | This Old House

Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 AM

Yes, I would do it myself but we are selling and I'm probably certain they want a licensed electrician to perform the work even though probably is simple enough.

It is a rental so I can't readily enter the complex and check the wires. If it is just black and white wires sounds like it's a simple plug and play job. Obviously if I had known this I would have converted them before we put this place on the market.

This condo was built in 1984. Do you think it could have been grandfathered in? Of course each state is different.

Last edited by IShootNikon; 05-02-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I had a GFCI in the bathroom that started loudly vibrating and smelled burnt and then went dead. I just replaced it and it was fine. It was about 25 years old so they do indeed eventually go bad.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I put a GFCI outlet in another bathroom that was just a standard. I just undid the wire on the terminals from the old outlet and put them on the GFCI as the manual indicated both neutral and hot on the same side of the outlet (one on top and one on bottom as indicated). It was not hard.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM

Yes, now I realize that.

Problem is we are selling and pretty certain buyer wants a licensed electrician to do the work. A DIY job looks like $20 but unfortunately I won't be able to do it myself.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
If you're doing two outlets surely you can find a licensed electrician that will swing by for 15 minutes and do it for $50 plus parts.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:42 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,223,915 times
The bathroom is a simple - it's plug and play.

The kitchen may be more involved depending on how all the outlets in the kitchen are wired. If they go from outlet to outlet, it's simple enough to replace the first outlet in the chain with a GFCI and all the others will be protected.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
If I were you I'd tell the buyer that GFCI's weren't required in kitchens of homes built in 1984 (they weren't required until '87).
So, if they want GFCI's (should require 2- one for each circuit) in the kitchen they can have them installed their selves; or pay you for the install.

Here's a prime example of private inspectors not paying attention- they absorb themselves in present code and forget that all homes weren't built last year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House